What can you tell me about Epcos caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can you tell me about Epcos caps?

I'm just tired of finding generic caps where I live, but I've found a place that sells Epcos caps. They are like Siemens, right? Good, bad? Have someone used them on a motherboard? Any other specifics? Thanks in advance.
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.0Ghz @ 3.5Ghz - ECS A780GM-A v1.0 - 4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 - 2 GB Kingston DDR2 800 Value - ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB - Windows 7 x64 - A bunch of hard drives

Re: What can you tell me about Epcos caps?

EPCOS was acquired by and is a subsidiary of TDK.
    I'm not aware of them offering any low ESR motherboard grade caps.
    Lacking any history I wouldn't use their electrolytics.
    If they make solid polymer caps then those might be worth a try.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

uhm.. i found Siemens/EPCOS caps on a lot of older (early 00's) Fujitsu-Siemens made Mainboards. (for example the D1184)

all of them had jamicon-like vents and most had the cheapo circular rubber bungs, but some had a Sanyo-like bung..

they were still OK when i pulled them (no instabilities at least) from my own D1184 but you never know..

all of them (EPCOS or Siemens) were called "LL" as the series (?)..

apart from the changing rubber bungs, all of them looked exactly the same.. (same vent, same label)

^- those came out of my FSC D1184 i recapped 2 days ago and were used in the CPU VRM area.
      Last edited by Scenic; 04-30-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

That's old caps.
        I don't think he's buying old used caps.
        Presently EPCOS was acquired by and is a subsidiary of TDK.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info. As PCBONEZ said, Epcos caps don't seem to have a "good" ESR. I have found the datasheet for those B41856 on the pics, and have a "ESRmax" of 0.24. I believe Rubycon MCZ have something like 0.016, right? Quite a difference. I'll just keep looking. There must be quality caps somewhere down here...
          AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.0Ghz @ 3.5Ghz - ECS A780GM-A v1.0 - 4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 - 2 GB Kingston DDR2 800 Value - ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB - Windows 7 x64 - A bunch of hard drives

Comment

just replaced some epcos in a rca lcd tv.
            08 datecode and blown up like the all too common fz.
            customer heard these let go.

Comment

Good news: I have found a place that can get Panasonic FM, FC, FK, NHG and Nichicon PS from the UK via import. The price is... well, considerable, but this is the good stuff. I don't have anything to cap right now, so I'll have to wait until something blows up.

Comment

Sorry about resurrection, but found these inside my TV: Chang and the unfamous Epcos. Should I change EPCOS ones too or only the Changs?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by OniJon; 09-28-2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ethaniel View Post
                  Thanks a lot for the info. As PCBONEZ said, Epcos caps don't seem to have a "good" ESR. I have found the datasheet for those B41856 on the pics, and have a "ESRmax" of 0.24. I believe Rubycon MCZ have something like 0.016, right? Quite a difference. I'll just keep looking. There must be quality caps somewhere down here...
                  I just ordered 5 samples from Epcos and the accompanying test paperwork states that the actual caps I received reported an ESR @120Hz of only 0.041. Not great but not anywhere close to 0.24. Please don't flame me too badly, since I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to cap frequencies. Until now, I typically have only bothered looking at capacitance and voltage for the electrolytic variety. What specifically makes a good MB cap, is ESR the main consideration? Is a measurement at 120hz relevant for MBs? Seems fairly low for this purpose.

Thanks,

Comment

The VRM powering the cpu and other dc-dc regulators on motherboards work at high frequencies, often above 50-70kHz.

ESR will be a totally different value than the value measured at 120Hz, so will the capacitance (usually capacitors not designed to be low esr will decrease in capacitance a lot)

Comment

I know it's an old thread, but these are Epcos LL, on a Fujitsu Siemens D1215 motherboard (Socket 370).

Specs:
                      820 uF, 16V, 105 degrees.

The capacitance was way off on all of them, ranging from ~600 to over 2000uF (one of the leaky ones).

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/p...B41859-pdf.php

According to the datasheet, they are "very low ESR".
                      Attached Files

Comment

Two different vent styles?
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

wtf!
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

That's strange. I didn't notice it when taking the picture. Only the ones with an >-< pattern have leaked.

Could they be fake?

All the markings are the same, and the smaller caps have different vents as well. The board had no signs of previous repairs.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Ageve; 07-06-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

^ Maybe.

I've seen EPCOS high-voltage electrolytic caps used in some appliances and electronics, but never in low-voltage applications, especially one in high-frequency switching and/or low-ESR applications. Yes, it could be that those are fake. Or it could also be that EPCOS is re-badging low-voltage capacitors from a different company for their smaller caps, as they might not be making any themselves.

To be on the safe side, probably best to replace all EPCOS.
                              Would be even better if you have a cap ESR meter and can check these to see what they read. Maybe even autopsy a few of the caps with different vents to see if they look different inside?

And if you feel optimistic, maybe contact EPCOS and see what they have to say? If any of these are fakes, I imaging EPCOS would be interested to know more. If not, then they might just try to shove you away or ignore you.

Comment

EPCOS B41859 (Siemens style series name) series is supposedly "Very Low Impedance" and "Very Low ESR", supposedly suited for power supply use. Why anyone would counterfeit an semi-obscure brand eludes me, so I suspect EPCOS is buying from multiple sources and having them sleeved with EPCOS shrink sleeving.

So I'd replace them with Nichicon PW or HE series, or NCC/UCC LXZ or KY series.
                                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X