This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

^ How can you people think radios are unsightly?
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Feel free to post these firmwares....I'd like to tinker with them. These came with their wall wart, PoE injector, and bracket. It also has the upgrade radio with extra antennas (4x per unit), so they are a little unsightly....closet or attic they go...

I have an old Linksys in the shop attic now....been up there since 2010....and in the summer heat, its gotta be 150* up there....how it still works is beyond me, but it's never missed a beat!!
      The server that I use to access my archive media is busy copying "solaris update" volumes, currently (so I can't get at the "equipment" archive media).

But, http://sfree.ws/main_group?id=3 is where you want to hunt for "accessible" copies of the files (for the Aironet serieses). Not all versions will be present (they rely on folks to upload stuff) but it is amazing "collection" (for various pieces of Cisco kit).

A search for "<whatever> site:sfree.ws" is probably easier than trying to browse the site to find what you're after.

AP will have the firmware that was (factory) installed printed on the radio (module). What's actually inside may be different (use the Console or web UI to get the actual name/version).

There's a system behind the naming. E.g., http://sfree.ws/model?main_group_id=...&model_id=1300 is the page for my 1142 (1140 series). Most recent release tends to be near the top (I think you can sort out how the numbers are "ordered").

First link (from there -- again, 1140 series) brings you to a page that lists all of the image files for the 15.3.3-JD9(ED) release. On that page, you will see that the files are named:
      <series>-<type>-tar.<release>.tar
      So, "c1140-k9w7-tar.153-3.JD9.tar" is the 1140 series, 15.3.3-JD9 release. The "k9w7" refers to "Wireless LAN" (standalone access point) firmware; "k9w8" is "Wireless LAN LWAP (lightweight access point -- requires a WLC); "rcvk9w8" is a recovery image.

These "codes" will be used consistently throughout the series. So, "c1140-k9w7-tar.153-3.JD8.tar" is the Wireless LAN firmware for the 1140 series release 15.3.3-JD8.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        I've been "on a mission" to hide ALL of the electronics residing in the "living portion" of the house -- including thermostats, dvd players, "stereos", doorbells, speakers, etc. (TVs are hard to hide). So, lots of things on (or IN!) ceilings, closets, inside walls, etc. Likewise all of the associated wall warts/bricks.

But, I probably have an order of magnitude more "things" than most folks so there's a bigger incentive to do this!
        Last edited by Curious.George; 09-18-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

^ Fair enough. The peak power usage my home has achieved is 4kW, so i don't really have much to try and hide.....
          Last edited by goontron; 09-18-2018, 10:01 PM.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

^ Fair enough. The peak power usage my home has achieved is 4kW, so i don't really have much to try and hide.....
            Its not the amount of power but, rather, the number of "consumers". There often aren't enough "normal" (duplex) outlets in a room to connect all of the various bits that need to be line powered!

E.g., a thermostat draws very little power -- but takes up space on a wall. Ditto a doorbell. Speakers draw nothing unless in use -- but don't "store" themselves when idle. Ditto DVD players, stereos, telephone/ans machine, etc.

I've taken to powering everything over the network so I can kill two birds with one stone: providing the "service" and the power for that service!

The CO/smoke detectors present a special challenge... not sure I want to risk tinkering with them on the off chance that I screw them up!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
              rofl @ "black citizen" written on the printer ribbon.
              Originally posted by stj View Post
              well their should also be a "colored citizen" with it

Thanks for this, guys - it really made my day yesterday and I had a pretty terrible day. (Partial intestinal blockage due to eating some rather harsh to digest foods.... no it wasn't the nettle soup, just FYI. Was in a lot of pain yesterday. All better today, though ).
              Last edited by momaka; 09-19-2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                But, http://sfree.ws/main_group?id=3 is where you want to hunt for "accessible" copies of the files (for the Aironet serieses). Not all versions will be present (they rely on folks to upload stuff) but it is amazing "collection" (for various pieces of Cisco kit).
                Well so much for that...... I tried the FW on one of the spares in the junk box (base models missing power supplies), but good lab rats. Using the FW for the model, it bricked it. Can't even access it through console anymore.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Not me!

Attached Files
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well so much for that...... I tried the FW on one of the spares in the junk box (base models missing power supplies), but good lab rats. Using the FW for the model, it bricked it. Can't even access it through console anymore.
                    Cisco products aren't like most "appliances". I.e., you don't just overwrite the old firmware with a new image.

Rather, they present a file system into which the images are stored. I.e., you can have multiple images in the box at the same time.

One consequence of this is that you have to remove cruft that is taking up space before adding to it. You have to make sure you still leave the "loader" in place so it can find the new image (hence the "recovery" images).

And, you have to make sure you've gone through the "process" correctly (waiting at the appropriate times... firmware flashes always seem like they have extraordinarily long pauses in them where it looks like the box has crashed!)

Sorry to hear of your no joy. I've never had a problem upgrading (or downgrading!) Cisco firmware -- beyond the hassle of having to drag out a "console" -- and a console cable -- to do so (the web interface has not been very accommodating, in the past)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      Not me!

Ha! That would never fly, here! My other half grumbled pretty loudly when I hid mine in the closets -- considering even those to be an eyesore!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                        Sorry to hear of your no joy. I've never had a problem upgrading (or downgrading!) Cisco firmware -- beyond the hassle of having to drag out a "console" -- and a console cable -- to do so (the web interface has not been very accommodating, in the past)
                        Yup, I confess, I used the web interface.....
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Well there's your problem lady! Cisco requires physical access for anything besides the most bignine of reconfiguration. Even then it may still blow up!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Well there's your problem lady! Cisco requires physical access for anything besides the most bignine of reconfiguration. Even then it may still blow up!
                            Not really.....its rather hit or miss (old device)....it was a miss in this case....but many modern Cisco devices have quite proactive web-based GUI's. It's not the 90's anymore.

...and the next time you address me as a female, you'll regret it.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Not really.....its rather hit or miss (old device)....it was a miss in this case....but many modern Cisco devices have quite proactive web-based GUI's. It's not the 90's anymore.

...and the next time you address me as a female, you'll regret it.
                              Guess im too used to working on old crap....

Getting your painties in a knot over an expression? eh?
                              Last edited by goontron; 09-20-2018, 01:14 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Guess im too used to working on old crap....
                                You said it, not me.

Getting your painties in a knot over an expression? eh?
                                Please enlighten me as to what part of that was an 'expression'?
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

You said it, not me.

Please enlighten me as to what part of that was an 'expression'?
                                  https://cheezburger.com/6156805120

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

That's a new one for me
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^ Huh. Maybe its just a northerners expression....

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

^ Huh. Maybe its just a northerners expression....
                                        I was born & raised in Wisconsin and have never heard of that nonsense. Poor attempt at a save.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Yeah, once you get out of the SOHO market, their kit tends to require a bit more care to coerce to doing what you want. I always use the console interface to do the configuration (often, you can't get the web interface to come on-line without knowing the original IP, etc. -- or, it may have been deliberately disabled by the BUSINESS that had used it, previously).

Last time I did this, I had to manually delete "files" from the device in order to make room to upload the new image (consumer kit would have done that FOR me).

I'll be converting another 1142 to autonomous mode in the near future so I will try to take notes on the process -- refreshing my memory of past efforts along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                          X