Removing Dell Optiplex GX270 MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Dell Optiplex GX270 MB

I've been asked to repair a Dell Optiplex GX270 that has bad capacitors. I'd like to just send it in for capacitor repair, but there is no documentation, and nothing about MotherBoard removal on the Dell site.

Has anybody here ever removed the MB from a Dell GX270? Any tips or diagrams?

Thanks.

Re: Removing Dell Optiplex GX270 MB

No motherboard screws to remove. Look for a green tipped tang to release the board. Lift the tang and slide backwards, towards the front of the case. If you are in a small form factor case you'll first need to remove the power supply. That has a green tang and sometimes a screw or two. If you can rustle up the original owner information and are within the 5 year limit you should have no problem.
    sig files are for morons

Comment

Easiest way is to leave the motherboard in the metal tray. It adds extra shipping protection. Just unplug everything and remove it from the case.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

I just recapped 4 of these things.

Remove the screw holding the metal tray the board is mounted on and pick up the green tab, the entire metal backplane the board is mounted on will come out of the case.

Taking the board off the tray is a little harder, I put one thumb on the edge of the board right above the keyboard ports and another by the pci slots, then push in the directions of the ide ports.

The cpu fan retention device and VRM heat sinks are pretty annoying too.

Comment

Alot of the Dell's are on recall for this very reason. I would check with Dell before sending it off and having to pay for the repair.

Comment

Originally posted by mschatte
            Alot of the Dell's are on recall for this very reason. I would check with Dell before sending it off and having to pay for the repair.
            its a royal pain in the ass to deal with dell tech nonsupport.
            several of my clients are skipping dell and sending me the failed boards for repair.
            and whenever they can have a downtime on a box they are sending the others for premptive repair.
            it might be better to just send it in rather than argue with dell.
            depends on whether your time is worth more than a recap bill.
            myself i wont ever buy a new dell for the bullshit i have had from them just trying to help my customers.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
              its a royal pain in the ass to deal with dell tech nonsupport.
              several of my clients are skipping dell and sending me the failed boards for repair.
              and whenever they can have a downtime on a box they are sending the others for premptive repair.
              it might be better to just send it in rather than argue with dell.
              depends on whether your time is worth more than a recap bill.
              myself i wont ever buy a new dell for the bullshit i have had from them just trying to help my customers.
              In one of the chemistry labs I TA in we have 40 of these damn computers (fucking goddamn pieces of shit...ok i feel better now). We have had 21 of these go down so far, and dell refuses to proactively do them all. The good news, EKU gets to deal with dell instead of us individuals, EKUs ITDS(information technology ....) is a licensed service provider (so they do their own repairs )

Comment

Originally posted by PedroDaGr8
                In one of the chemistry labs I TA in we have 40 of these damn computers (fucking goddamn pieces of shit...ok i feel better now).
                dont hold back.tell us how you really feel!

Comment

yeah dont forget many of us have worked in tech support so we are practically psychiatrists now.
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                      yeah dont forget many of us have worked in tech support so we are practically psychiatrists now.
                      I know: not help desk, help quest!

Zandrax
                      Have an happy life.

Comment

It sucks because we have a full load of students every day and these computers are more or less glorified data aquisition devices for beer's law or titrations. Though if we don't have enough they can't do the experiment. Either way these computers drop like flies.

Comment

Working...
                        X