Gigabyte 8I845PE-RZ fried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte 8I845PE-RZ fried?

One of my recent findings, that motherboard was in its original antistatic bag and had no dust at all, so I thought it might be unused and good.

But I was wrong. When I power on the psu, the cpu fan spins, but there is no other activity, no beeps or boot...

I noticed that the southbridge gets extremely hot, more that 10 seconds being powered, it starts smelling burnt silicon.

The big caps are all OST, the medium are G-Luxon and the tiny ones are Teapo.

What do you think? I don't think that bad caps can cause this.
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte 8I845PE-RZ fried?

Sounds like DOA - probably why it was put straight back in its bag. Could be caps though... Have you got an ESR meter?

Also, I've seen a couple of 845 chipsets on QDI motherboards go up in smoke for no "apparent" reason.

Comment

DOA is what I think too.

There were complete PCs near the motherboard with same model installed. Those were dusty and had some caps bulging. That's why I chose to take this one...

I have an ESR meter and I tested the big caps in circuit and found the total capacitance to be ok.

edit: I would use it for caps but it doesn't have any quality caps on it
      Last edited by goodpsusearch; 11-12-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Maybe it got Bestec-ed/Antec-ed (over-voltage on 5vsb) .
        Check how much current it's pulling from the 5vsb in the off state when a PSU is connected to it. Then power it on and check again.

Yeah, you can't use it for the caps . Not for anything serious anyways.

Comment

(Old thread, but just using it as an archival place-holder for related information.)

For the record, the Gigabyte 8I845GVM-RZ S478 P4 board is utterly reliable in my experience - it supports most Northwoods and maybe a few Prescott Celerons with 533 FSB. No AGP, Single-channel DDR only, no SATA, but dual PATA connectors.

Maybe I got lucky - The VRM caps hadn't popped, but I replaced all of the Vcore rail caps with Rubycon ZL and ZLH anyway. Two caps near the Northbridge (EC6 and EC22) had bulged but not popped - they're in the airflow from the CPU heatsink, but some distance away - replaced with Rubycon ZLH 1500/10 which I had lying around. I did not replace two G-Luxons near the PCI slots and USB connectors - these are EC11 and EC68, both 8 mm diameter, and some distance away from the hot airflow, with no sign of bulging.

Edit: Replaced 10x large caps (~1500 uF each) around the CPU socket and Northbridge with ZL/ZLH. Left 3x VRM input caps (already Rubycon MBZ) unchanged, in addition to 2x G-Luxons mentioned above.

It runs like a champ after the recap with an old Northwood 2.66/533/512k that I had lying around - CPU temp doesn't cross 46c according to the BIOS HW monitor.

(I know that it's utterly obsolete, but I'm keeping it as a legacy 32-bit spare, just in case I need to recover/resurrect some aging Win98/WinXP/RedHat 6.2/7.3/Fedora Core 1..4 box.)
          Last edited by linuxguru; 10-21-2019, 01:58 AM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

Working...
          X