Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GL502VM Rev. 2.1 Keyboard Problem [SOLVED]

Hi Everyone!
    I have an Asus ROG Strix GL502VM (the mohterboard says GL502VM Rev. 2.1 but it has an i7-7XXX Proc. so I think it actually is GL502VMK idk...)

The problem is with the keyboard. The power button works but every other key doesn't.

What I tried:
    -Check the keyboard with Vertyanov Keyboard tester (Everything seems fine)
    -Re-programmed the EC chip ITE8171FN-56. (Didn't work, flashed ok but verification failed every time at 82%.)
    -Replaced ITE8171FN-56
    -Reprogrammed new ITE8171FN-56. (It flashed and verified ok but keyboard still dead)

I don't know if I need to check the main BIOS, maybe Main Bios is rewriting EC Section on boot to the ITE8171FN.

Any ideas?

Re: GL502VM Rev. 2.1 Keyboard Problem

Do Touchpad and USB keyboard work fine with this laptop?

Comment

Yes, they work fine.
      Keyboard is dead even in BIOS.

Comment

are you sure you used the correct file for the keyboard controller?

Comment

I used one downloaded from Vinafix.
          I haven't found any other

I think it can be extracted from the main bios but i don't know how.

Comment

I asked you this question because I asked for info on Vxxxxxx and the CEO did not know how to give me more info. I'm not sure, but I think that like ME, it programs itself automatically after programming the bios.

Comment

Originally posted by lazaro.089 View Post
              I used one downloaded from Vinafix.
              I haven't found any other

I think it can be extracted from the main bios but i don't know how.
              Post your bios backup here.There are enough experts here to extract EC from main bios.

Comment

The problem (for me) is understand how this system works.
                This notebook (gl502 series) has two ITE chips, the first is the IT8171FN-56 / BX for the keyboard and can be programmed via the keyboard port, the other IT8995VG-128 / CX has a dedicated port for its programming. I wanted to understand where its firmware is stored and if it has an internal memory, etc

Comment

Edit:looking at wrong boardview
                  Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-22-2019, 11:33 AM.
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Do you mean my card compared to the GL502VM model? , this and the gl502VSK have the same chips but positioned differently, and some components have the same identifier. I think the working principle is the same.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jasko_jacker; 09-22-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the late response, I took off the weekend.

Here is my main Bios dump

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                      The problem (for me) is understand how this system works.
                      This notebook (gl502 series) has two ITE chips, the first is the IT8171FN-56 / BX for the keyboard and can be programmed via the keyboard port, the other IT8995VG-128 / CX has a dedicated port for its programming. I wanted to understand where its firmware is stored and if it has an internal memory, etc
                      I'm also wondering this. I have a board view but doesn't have an schematic.
                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-27-2023, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I flashed the Main bios with
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...658#post843658

But still no working keyboard.
                        I think the firmware is stored in IT8995VG-128 but I don't know how to program.

Comment

Its the ITE8171 that gets programmed by a vertyanov programmer

GL502VM IT8171 KB_pins=30 LEFT DOWN FLASH=56 PD0=29 PD1=20 PD2=15 PD3=23 PD4=14 PD5=16 PD6=12 PD7=30 BUSY=26 STB=18 AFD=28 INIT=21 SLIN=19 KSI4=22 KSI5=24
                          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

[QUOTE=lazaro.089;916709]Sorry for the late response, I took off the weekend.

Here is my main Bios dump

Your bios backup isn`t proper. Make another backup and post it in the other thread of yours in the bios requests.

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post

Your bios backup isn`t proper. Make another backup and post it in the other thread of yours in the bios requests.
                              Ok then I think I'm screwed, I didn't pay attention and the dump failed.

And I already overwritten the Main bios, It does boot tho, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the model because inside the bios it shows GL502VMZ

What should I do now?

Comment

Look at post#4 in https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67696 for GL502VM rev 2.1 bios.

Comment

Thanks! @mcplslg123
                                  I have the correct dump thanks to @SMDFlea.

And I'm back to square 1. (At least I have the right dump)
                                  Now, I'm trying to flash the EC, Trying with 8171 I only can flash 56K of the EC Dump.
                                  So, I tried programming the IT8995 (I took precautions and this time dumped correctly before flashing)

I did flash the EC IT8995 with success. But I keep having the keyboard problems.

I'll check the boardview to track down the connections but I really think is firmware related. Because some dumps I try with IT8171 resulted in CapsLock led always on and others shut it down.

Any ideas what should I check next?

UPDATE:

I found out that Main Bios DOES rewrite the EC Bios after first boot.
                                  Last edited by lazaro.089; 09-24-2019, 03:34 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

SOLUTION

I finally found a solution for the keyboard problem.

I found the Asus Keyboard Adjustment tool, extracted the .exe file and inside the ./.rsrc/1028/BINARY directory are located 4 56k sized FW_NK000XXXXX files.

These are different keyboard firmwares that can be flashed to IT8171fn-56.

For the GL502VMK board I used FW_NK0003000B and flashed it with Vertyanov.

I'll post these files as attachments for anyone that has the same problem.

PS. Can a mod mark this post as solved? I couldn't find the solved option.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...9&postcount=15

Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-23-2021, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Thats a great fix. Can you post the IT8995 and other dumps into the your bios request post . https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79528
                                      Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-25-2019, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Re: GL502VM Rev. 2.1 Keyboard Problem [SOLVED]

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X