Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elitebook 1030

Hello

Please help unlock bios password for HP Elitebook 1030.

I extracted soldered to mainboard and connected to ch134a usb, booted via linux mint / flashrom with disconnected battery but power to mainboard by power adapter.

I tried to -v verify but failed a few time, i extracted the bios x3 time OK and all have the same size so i think maybe ok.

Someone please confirm if the bios can be unlocked and is OK?
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: HP Elitebook 1030

Originally posted by e900 View Post
    Hello

Please help unlock bios password for HP Elitebook 1030.

I extracted soldered to mainboard and connected to ch134a usb, booted via linux mint / flashrom with disconnected battery but power to mainboard by power adapter.

I tried to -v verify but failed a few time, i extracted the bios x3 time OK and all have the same size so i think maybe ok.

Someone please confirm if the bios can be unlocked and is OK?
    Thanks.
    Same size =/= same content. You can compare content of the files with Total Commander or HxD. So first compare those 3 files, and if they are same will be safe to say that the dump is read OK, and you have a good backup. So before erasing the chip and programming new dump always do this or you will have a big problems.

P.S. Just checked the file - dump is bad.
    Last edited by Vesko356; 02-15-2020, 04:35 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

UEFITool has trouble reading the backup so I'd say it is bad.
      In any case I never be confident working on a BIOS in a situation where verify fails.
      I personally always desolder the chip and don't recommend working with a CH341A as there seems to be a lot of issues with those (and in particular related with 128Mb or more SPI ROM).
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
        Same size =/= same content. You can compare content of the files with Total Commander or HxD. So first compare those 3 files, and if they are same will be safe to say that the dump is read OK, and you have a good backup. So before erasing the chip and programming new dump always do this or you will have a big problems.
        Thank you, im new to this, im happy to try and learn, especially when steps and guidance is available

Originally posted by piernov View Post
        UEFITool has trouble reading the backup so I'd say it is bad.
        In any case I never be confident working on a BIOS in a situation where verify fails.
        I personally always desolder the chip and don't recommend working with a CH341A as there seems to be a lot of issues with those (and in particular related with 128Mb or more SPI ROM).
        I also tried UEFITOOL and got some errors, but googleing them shows they maybe generic errors. Although im not sure where to start on UEFItool but did you manage to locate any password or anything about it?

I may get the chip unsoldered.
        Im using the CH341a programmer, with the 3.3 adapter?

What do you recommend working with or using? Im doing this the first time for a friend.

Is there a way to flash a clean bios? start fresh? What can i do next? or do you recommend next to do?

Heres a picture of my setup
        Attached Files

Comment

I may get the chip unsoldered.
          This is always better rather to work with the chip in circuit.
          Im using the CH341a programmer, with the 3.3 adapter?
          CH341a is a 3.3V, so if your bios chip is 3.3V you don't need any adapters
          What do you recommend working with or using? Im doing this the first time for a friend.
          Use Windows based program. Try AsProgrammer with CH341A support

DOWNLOAD LINK

Is there a way to flash a clean bios? start fresh? What can i do next? or do you recommend next to do?
          Get a good bios dump first, this is a must. Than upload the file here and someone will remove the password for you. No other way, "start fresh" and so on.
          That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
            This is always better rather to work with the chip in circuit.

Use Windows based program. Try AsProgrammer with CH341A support

DOWNLOAD LINK

Get a good bios dump first, this is a must. Than upload the file here and someone will remove the password for you. No other way, "start fresh" and so on.
            That's it.

Sorry I meant the 1.8v adapter? I have the 1.8v adapter also plugged in the ch341a usb...I read on a post (winraid?) that the chip may overheat if the incorrect voltage is applied to it via usb and to use the 1.8v.

How can i find out if my chip is 3.3v or if I need to use 1.8v?

Do you recommend to try direct on the CH341a direct?

I will try the windows programmer to.

Thanks again.

Comment

My chip is a 128 25q128jvpq + 25q64jviq

I cant find this in ASPROGRAMMER?

Flashrom in linux detects it as a "W25Q128.v" 16384 kb SPI
              Attached Files
              Last edited by e900; 02-16-2020, 05:07 AM. Reason: attach

Comment

How can i find out if my chip is 3.3v or if I need to use 1.8v?
                Just power up the board and measure voltage on pin 8, and you find out. Red probe on pin 8, black probe on grond (or on pin 4).

Comment

Think im getting somewhere, before I begun reading the chip, the computer would not power on, the power light would blink continuously.

Since then i removed the 1.8v adapter and plugged direct to the ch341a usb programmer and the machine now powers on, fans spins. which is a good sign, better than the continuous dead feeling i had from before.

Im now trying to backup and im getting Error: file backup3.bin could not be written completely. Failed.

Comment

My chip is a 128 25q128jvpq
                    W25Q128JV must be 3.3V but take the chip voltage with the multimeter.

I cant find this in ASPROGRAMMER?
                    If it's 3.3 than select second from the drop down menu (W25Q128FV)
                    Last edited by Vesko356; 02-16-2020, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Im now trying to backup and im getting Error: file backup3.bin could not be written completely. Failed.
                      Read the chip first! Correctly! Take a good dump! Verify the dump!
                      And then try to write! And write correct dump after someone of us edit and remove the password from your backup!
                      Read the whole topic again. Carefully!
                      Last edited by Vesko356; 02-16-2020, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I appreciate your help and patience with this.

In Flashroom im using the -r command, (read) , im not writing anything to the bios.

I tried to read the chip with ASPRorgrammer and im getting Error connecting CH341(-1)

I have checked device manager and the ch341a is listed with no errors.

Comment

I tried to read the chip with ASPRorgrammer and im getting Error connecting CH341(-1)

I have checked device manager and the ch341a is listed with no errors.
                          To receive such an error means you didn't connect the chip to the programmer correctly.
                          What is used for the connection - clip, wires?

Did you measure the chip voltage?
                          What is the voltage measured?
                          Last edited by Vesko356; 02-16-2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment

got it! I think I was running out of free space on the disk / usb, im using live CD mint.

Attached the bios. I tested opening the bios is uefi tool and it looks good, no errors compared to the ealirer one i posted.

Please let me know?
                            Attached Files

Comment

got it! I think I was running out of free space on the disk / usb, im using live CD mint.

Attached the bios. I tested opening the bios is uefi tool and it looks good, no errors compared to the ealirer one i posted.

Please let me know?
                              Take the dump once again so I can compare both files.
                              I receive an error reading the dump file with ME Analyzer, which means the dump is not OK

Code:
                              Error: Detected CSE Extension 0x03 with wrong Partition Hash at FTPR > FTPR.man!
                              Take the dump with AS Programmer also.
                              Last edited by Vesko356; 02-16-2020, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Remove the pass and clean the ME ,it should be ok .
                                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                  Remove the pass and clean the ME ,it should be ok .
                                  Let's wait to have a second file to compare, password and ME region are easy, the important thing is to make sure the bios file is read correctly. I'm just not sure what he's doing there.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Running ASProgrammer now, just reading at the min

Comment

Thanks guys,

Running ASProgrammer now, just reading at the min
                                      Ok great, take your time don't hurry.

Comment

all done, did a verify with ASProgrammer and all ok (no errors)

Took x2 dumps, both on ASProgrammer.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X