X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by stj View Post
    lol
    it looks like it's powered by an onboard 2-stroke engine!!
    Noise-wise, its on par!

It only took me 3 years to find one of these boards.....me is happy!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Cooler setup looks like someone who wants their daily 5 Ghz or at least close to 4.5 Ghz fix.

Today's setups also often need hefty VRM cooling.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-05-2018, 10:44 AM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Remember VRM/chipset heatsinks and fans of the early 2000s?
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
          Remember VRM/chipset heatsinks and fans of the early 2000s?
          Abit IC7 Max 3..... active cooled regulators AND capacitors!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Now you get a big block of metal (low surface area) with a plastic cover (blocking airflow) for looks.

Anyway, that's a nice Xeon system.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
              Anyway, that's a nice Xeon system.
              Thanks. It came with a pair of 900MHz 2mb L2 CPU's, the fastest supported by this board. Those unfamiliar with Xeons of that era, their L2 caches run @ full speed, unlike their Pentium2 counterparts that only ran @ half speed for the consumer market. Also included was the 1130c raidport controller that the seller said didn't work...but he didn't know the magic trick to these, there's a weird firmware 'marriage' process you have go do before it'll work. Lastly, there is 2gb of ECC memory. I gave very little for this, everything works. It will get recapped, it has a bunch of those phony 'NRSY' caps that SM used back in those days.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                No retro computer collection is complete without a pentium pro system....
                Picked a junk pile and came out with this:

New Old Stock...untested, no processors....but there was 2 NIB heatsinks.
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Picked a junk pile and came out with this:

New Old Stock...untested, no processors....but there was 2 NIB heatsinks.
                  Good luck, most pentium pro's were nuked for digger gold. Pentium II overdrive?
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    Good luck, most pentium pro's were nuked for digger gold. Pentium II overdrive?
                    I found a pair of 200's with 512k L2's for $40....but yea, I'm eyeballing a pair of 333MHz overdrives...but I want to make sure the board is good first... the OD CPU's usually go for ~$100ea.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

today's cheap score was 10 36gb 10k U320 SCA scsi HDD's. Retro builds love these!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

picked up a 2003 eMac with 1Ghz G4 and 256 ram will upgrade ram.
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                          A Philips DVDR3455H DVD Recorder with 160GB HDD for $3.25 (These regularly sell for $100-$125 on eBay, and sold for $350 back in 2007 when they were new). I got it so cheap because it had a sticky disc tray (sometimes didn't come out when the open button was pressed), but a new belt fixed that and now it is a good as new.

It don't even have a 2000s' style PATA ribbon connected to the HDD, even when it looks like it's from 2006! It's apparently got a ribbon that's only UDMA 33 compliant! (The cable looks more like something from 1998, LOL)
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-13-2018, 11:12 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Today's freebies is a dell dimension 2400....useless as tits on a boar
                            There's a good chance that the PSU has a bulging Elite cap, if not more of those bundles of misery! Elite caps, apparently can't even handle idling at low temps!

I made the discovery of a bulging Elite cap in a Dell Dimension PSU of a Dimension 2350 or the like, (probably Bestec, Delta or Lite-On) one day, on July 19, 2012, IIRC. It was a PC that hardly had been used, but was powered on regularly. Mostly idling in Windows or standby, LOL.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

today's cheap score was 10 36gb 10k U320 SCA scsi HDD's. Retro builds love these!
                              (sigh) I just scrapped two shelfs -- 12 drives, each -- of 72GB SCA drives. I've been dumping any SCSI/SCA/FC-AL drives smaller than 146GB, lately, to make room for bigger drives.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for any other SCA discards. OTOH, I'm not sure how well drives fare in the mail...

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                (sigh) I just scrapped two shelfs -- 12 drives, each -- of 72GB SCA drives. I've been dumping any SCSI/SCA/FC-AL drives smaller than 146GB, lately, to make room for bigger drives.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for any other SCA discards. OTOH, I'm not sure how well drives fare in the mail...
                                They do fine in the mail. I want any/all scsi HDD's in any scsi interface (50-pin, 68-pin, or 80 pin SCA) and any size. retro rigs love 4.3's and 9.1's.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

They do fine in the mail. I want any/all scsi HDD's in any scsi interface (50-pin, 68-pin, or 80 pin SCA) and any size. retro rigs love 4.3's and 9.1's.
                                  How do you pack them? I haven't bought a "mail order" disk in almost 3 decades -- back then, one disk per box, surrounded by a couple of inches of packing material. And, I was never quite sure if I should expect it to work once installed...

I don't think I have any more 50pin drives -- except for 2" drives (which I won't discard any time soon as they are hard to come by). Even the 68pin drives are pretty scarce. I find SCAs in servers, from time to time, but have steadily increased the minimum capacity drive that I'm willing to "pull"...

Even the FC-AL "minimum" is now up to ~300G!

Comment

How do you pack them? I haven't bought a "mail order" disk in almost 3 decades -- back then, one disk per box, surrounded by a couple of inches of packing material. And, I was never quite sure if I should expect it to work once installed...

I don't think I have any more 50pin drives -- except for 2" drives (which I won't discard any time soon as they are hard to come by). Even the 68pin drives are pretty scarce. I find SCAs in servers, from time to time, but have steadily increased the minimum capacity drive that I'm willing to "pull"...

Even the FC-AL "minimum" is now up to ~300G!
                                    antistatic bag and then wrap them a couple times in small bubble wrap, and put them in a box with paper or more bubblewrap. They'll survive.

I'd take 50-pin, but not much demand for them 68-pin and 80 pin sca are the most practical for this era of builds and decent controllers of course. SCA's can be used either with adapters or those dorky 'mobile racks' that were stylish in the 90's..they supported all popular interfaces of the time.

FC.....I havent seen a working fiber channel setup in ages!
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

antistatic bag and then wrap them a couple times in small bubble wrap, and put them in a box with paper or more bubblewrap. They'll survive.
                                      But, if shipping 4, 8, 12 of them, this gets pretty bulky. Would you, in that case, treat the "set" as a "megadrive" and pack it as above? Or, would you still treat each drive individually?

FC.....I havent seen a working fiber channel setup in ages!
                                      My SB2000 uses them. I also see shelfs with them (which is where I pilfer my "spares" from)

Comment

But, if shipping 4, 8, 12 of them, this gets pretty bulky. Would you, in that case, treat the "set" as a "megadrive" and pack it as above? Or, would you still treat each drive individually?
                                        I just got 10 in a box....it was a little 'girthy', but all was well. wrapped each drive 2 layers of bubble wrap was fine....so stacked, there was technically 4 layers, plus the antistatic bag....packed snug in the box with more bubblewrap so they weren't hitting eachother loosely.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Scored this PC. Not bad but definitely not the best either:

ASRock P4V88+ mobo w/ 6 bulged KZGs (recapped)
                                          P4 HT 3GHz Prescott (no wonder why the caps died)
                                          1GB RAM
                                          Radeon 9250 128MB
                                          P&O LC-B400ATX (MAX:400W (yeah right.) gutless wonder
                                          Allied/APEX PC-115 case
                                          Samsung SD-612 DVD-ROM
                                          NEC ND-3540A DVD-RW
                                          Maxtor STM3160215A 160GB 7200RPM.
                                          Windows 7 (italian)

Came with a free Windows 7 DVD as well, but don't know if it's SP1 at all.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X