Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know of a used TV price guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anybody know of a used TV price guide?

Thanks for the update! I can't imagine trying to ship a display without fear of it cracking during shipment. Right now I'm only parting out unrepairable TVs (with cracked screens), and not getting much bite.

Each part I sell covers more than the cost of what I paid for the TV, but my money really does get tied up for a long time between when I buy it, and when I manage to sell it. It's helping me feel better about making lower and lower offers on the broken TVs when I know how much work it will be to recoup my investment.

Love the tamper evident label idea! I haven't had anyone return any parts as of yet, but I will definitely look into doing that as a way of confidently increasing my return policy date range.

Comment

Here's another tip. When I put an ad on Craigslist I tell people to send me the model number and a brief description of what the TV is doing. Then I take the model number and go to usedprice.com and look the TV up. I don't subscribe to usedprice so I don't get their bluebook value but I get lots of useful information such as year(s) of manufacture, resolution, etc. The next thing I do is go to eBay and search for that model number and refine the search to show completed listings. Not just sold items but all completed listings. Then I can get an idea of not just what the parts are being listed for but also what buyers are actually willing to pay for them. If I see the parts selling real low or not at all then I'm going to pass on that one. I just learned today about the importance of configuring "don't ship to" locations in eBay. I already had it set to United States only but that includes APO/FPO and US protectorates. Its kind of dumb how they have that set up. I sold a main board from a Sony KDL-32L4000 for $22.50 (cheap yes but there's so many on eBay right now and sometimes if you wait it out the value drops when more.) Anyway, the postage to Puerto Rico was $9.88. Box was about a buck. So I made about $11. Oh, forgot the eBay and PayPal fees. Maybe $8.

Edit: oh, almost forgot. The tamper evident labels, they also have my website URL so eventually, when I actually get the site set up, it may be another source of revenue. I'm moving tomorrow and once I get to my new apt, I'm going to start making some how-to videos. Nothing overly technical, just your basic YouTube "how to replace the main board, inverter board, power board, etc" in a particular model of TV. And then its "oh, look, I have that part listed on eBay for less than anyone else so you can click this link and buy it from me. Just an idea but sounds promising.
      Last edited by lookimback; 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM.
      ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

It sounds like you have a good plan. When I started selling parts on eBay, I got a separate eBay account so I could track everything accurately (selling price, PayPal fees, shipping fees, etc) and so that people could see that I dealt strictly in TV parts. People were more apt to buy if it appeared that I was an expert in TV repair. Also, since my account had almost no feedback when I started, I bought most of my parts to repair TVs on eBay so I could increase my number of feedbacks - didn't take long. Lastly, I sold all my parts with "Buy-It-Now", "or best offer" and free shipping via USPS priority to make the transactions clean and simple.
        Last edited by capkid; 10-30-2013, 10:25 PM.
        LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

I ship strictly priority mail as well. Its more a matter of convenience though because it comes with free tracking, delivery confirmation and $50 insurance. More so, being that I'm a new seller and my funds don't clear immediately, it gets my funds cleared quicker. I buy a lot off eBay but most of my repairs consist of rework.

Edit: I wish I would have made a new thread for this because we're getting a lot of great information together but the title is a real throw off.
          Last edited by lookimback; 10-30-2013, 10:29 PM.
          ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

I have 2 cents to add about my experience with this in doing 200+ TVs.

I started buying/fixing TVs about 1 1/2 years ago now I think. For ahwile I had very good luck selling fixed TVs for a good price and selling parts from broken screen TVs on ebay for a good prices and fairly quick. I was doing a lot more broken screen TVs (75%+)and it was A LOT of work and my backyard quickly got consumed with bad panels. In between all the time of breaking down TVs and taking pictures and listing on ebay I was trying to fix other ones, and work my full time job, etc. I made good money and learned a lot but was working 7 days a week.

But I noticed things started slowing down in the last 3-6 months and prices have dropped dramatically for used TVs, and especially for used parts. It came to the point if I could not get something like a 50" Samsung plasma with broken screen for $10 I wasn't interested.

Then I had to move, and deal with getting rid of ALL those broken panels. Locally they want to charge $0.25 per pound for this chemical/hazardous waste.

Needless to say I have not bought any broken panel tvs since because if anything, I'll only pay $10-$20 now, and people are getting more elsewhere I guess. Good for them!

Im just focusing on finding larger TVs newer models that can be repaired, so the volume has gone way down. I used to get tons of calls and emails and that has dropped too in the last few months. I went from selling several parts a day on ebay to just 1 or 2 a week. Prices for Z-SUS boards could be like $12 with free shipping, its ridiculous.

Needless to say, not seeing a future in this business.

Comment

Disposing of the parts LEGALLY was an issue for me, also; I was being charged 75 cents/spec pound (TV's manufacturer specified weight) for TVs that had missing boards. I'm not one to give up easily, and I'd even purchased a rare and hard-to-obtain 800# and set up a website to do some marketing and capture seller info, but it quickly became obvious that it wasn't going to be worth the effort as prices started to fall drastically. So, I cut my losses and moved on.

I've noticed some new buyers have popped up locally, and they've been paying much more than I was willing to offer based on my profit requirements and experience with repairs. They'll quickly get blown out if they're not careful.
              Last edited by capkid; 10-30-2013, 11:58 PM.
              LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Working...
              X