No announcement yet.

Behemot's reviews (Hardware Insights)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you read my reviews in english?

Why did you feel the need to remove all of the padding? It looks awful. Even like 10px of padding would make a huge difference in how it looks and how readable it is.

Comment

I think I already answered that somewhere, didn't I? I needed more pixels and there was some problems cutting the room between the positions so I took it out.

I'll try optimizing the styles for slightly more responsive to high-res displays, with 1440 px minimum width, next year. Than there should be some room for padding etc. Most of the low-res displays will be dead next year, and all the 1366ers will have to live with that, only fool buys such fucked up resolution.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I went ahead and reworked the styles for responsive width, with minimum of 1280px. I discovered the .post padding was there, 2px, but bad syntax I changed that for 5px left and right.

And there is a new Preview: Xilence Performance C Series XP400R6 – peak power fraud
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

The review http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/x...p400r6-review/

Comment

Preview of ZM600-GVM http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/p...man-zm600-gvm/

Comment

And the review http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/z...00-gvm-review/

Comment

Server's down again, for many hours now. No response but providers site works so it is again just limited blackout. And it's like 4th or 5th time just since I took over this year.

Comment

Working now. Supposedly server failed - orly? What about having virtualized cluster? OMG, hosting on single machine in 2016…

There are two days missing, I guess that's for incremental backup each hour too. Good that I have not started on the SF review yet - everything would be frelled now.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                    Working now. Supposedly server failed - orly? What about having virtualized cluster? OMG, hosting on single machine in 2016…

There are two days missing, I guess that's for incremental backup each hour too. Good that I have not started on the SF review yet - everything would be frelled now.
                    Sorry, the server seems to have failed DURING the back up, leading to the latest backups being corrupt for some accounts.

GoDaddy, HostGator, BlueHost (three most popular US hosting providers) use "single server" infrastructure too. I've had clients on BlueHost who had all-day outages and the worst part is, you call them up, nobody knows why it happened!

Anyway, the hosting is now managed by a third-party company in Chicago. They have a great SLA and that's also where our main site was hosted and as you noticed, that always works. You can expect 99.99% to 100% uptime in 2016.

The new server is on virtualized (cloud) infrastructure backed my SSD-cached RAID10 arrays. A big improvement in performance over our 10k RPM mechanic drives

I do apologize for any inconvenies this may have caused but you won't have any more problems.

Comment

Cool, now we are on 2016 technology, it was already on time, afterall, it's 2016 Hopefully the back-ups will be made more often as well.

I am thinking about hiding it behind cloudflare to further reduce the impact of any outage, any known problems with that?

Comment

Cool, now we are on 2016 technology, it was already on time, afterall, it's 2016 Hopefully the back-ups will be made more often as well.

I am thinking about hiding it behind cloudflare to further reduce the impact of any outage, any known problems with that?
                        I used to love CloudFlare and used to be a CloudFlare Hosting Partner... I even own a CloudFlare shirt... but I dropped it because it kept getting slower and slower and for most sites, the performance would be WORSE than just going to the server directly (without CF). Also, their cPanel plugin caused more problems and took longer to make it work than people just signing up directly. Heck, from a hosting provider's standpoint, CF is a godsend (free CDN to decrease server load and free firewall to block malicious users and some common WordPress hacks), but in the end it really just made sites less reliable, slower, and we got more tickets about CF than anything else!

Also, at the begining their customer service was excellent, and the support team was on top of everything and would respond immediately. But as more people used the free service, their support got way overloaded and responses took longer and issues were unresolved for days to weeks.

That was about two years ago, so I don't know if it's improved now. Give it a shot, and let me know how it goes... Just be sure to add Google Analytics to CF directly and remove it from the site itself (if you use GA) because otherwise your stats will be all wrong. I might try it again on a site or two of my own in the coming months if I have time, just to see if it's improved or not.

As far as backups go, I think I'm going to stick with daily backups. IMO, hourly or "continuous" backups (that software does exist) are a waste of bandwidth.
                        Last edited by shovenose; 01-01-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I've slightly more reworked the styles so now the LATEST feed should be centered when higher than 1280px width. Any glitches?

And there is new article Repairing display: Samsung SyncMaster 931BW

shovenose: those AWStats seem OK, though the "Referring sites" is utterly useless - it has statistics for about 0.05 % of the total number of visits.
                          Last edited by Behemot; 01-20-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I've slightly more reworked the styles so now the LATEST feed should be centered when higher than 1280px width. Any glitches?

shovenose: those AWStats seem OK, though the "Referring sites" is utterly useless - it has statistics for about 0.05 % of the total number of visits.
                            I'd recommend Google Analytics. Those stats programs aren't very good.

Comment

don't want no corpy google nor any other micro$oft, thank you very much…

Comment

Can't comment on the formatting, but nice job on the monitor.

Samsung and crapxon: as bad as Antec and fu-yoo, or ECS and evercon.

It's always the same story- deliberately use junk so you think people will continue to buy more.

After the big samsung capacitor blowout (how funny), people I talked to that got bad caps, most after just 6-8 months (typical capxon) swore them off, vowing to never buy another samsung anything. It seems there was a little "ASUS attitude" involved- blown off emails, and denials "you're model isn't covered" over the phone.

Uh-huh, "not covered." Change model # by one letter/number, but use the same boards with the same crap.

Samscum only cares/cared about getting those $ale numbers- "gotta outsell the competition." In cheap mobos of 2001 style, samsung blatently ignored the fact that those junk parts would hurt future sales and ruin their reputation.

"One good review earns 10 customers; one bad review scares off 100 potential customers."
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                Originally posted by shango066
                                All style and no substance.
                                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I think LG goes down aproximatelly the same. They too used from 97 % the same boards over and over and they have bad crapacitors as well…there's just not so many of them (absolute numbers)-

It depends, but for many years at least here in CZ, LG is usually cheaper. BenG is the cheapest. The situation is somewhat better with LED-backlit displays, on the other hand when it goes bad, it is worse than just replacing caps…

Comment

I think LG goes down aproximatelly the same. They too used from 97 % the same boards over and over and they have bad crapacitors as well…there's just not so many of them (absolute numbers)-
                                    Yes, that's true. I think they're about "equally bad." Now LG topload Horribly Expensive washers (LG/samsung have no place in major appliances, at least based on current US models) are certainly worse than the samsungs.

I may have said this in another post- LG uses plastic corner "gussets" to hold the support rods, samsung uses *gasp* steel ones. When the ROM program screws up and throws the machine into off-balance full-spin, the LGs destroy themselves. The samsungs just get "the shakes" like the old Whirlpools did/do.

LG has the nerve to claim their "BIOS update" (revised ROM) would effectively prevent them from ever self destructing! No- LG needs a complete service kit for those machines; possibly that stupid ROM, definately metal corner supports.

Now what happens if the new LG ROM makes the machine "too conservative" to ever go into full spin speed? You get to put soaking wet clothes into the dryer, which costs more to dry.

"HE" my foot...

It depends, but for many years at least here in CZ, LG is usually cheaper. BenG is the cheapest. The situation is somewhat better with LED-backlit displays, on the other hand when it goes bad, it is worse than just replacing caps…
                                    Like those knockoff brand "supermarket" sets that overdrive the LEDs? LEDs are bad enough- at rated current and 25 degrees C, 50,000 hours to half-brightness. Overdriven as they usually are, at elevated temps, they'll easily underlive and underperform CCFTs...

Don't tell this to the "youtube commentors" though- it's either an "LCD teevee" or an "LED teevee." The reality that only the backlight is different never occurred to that bunch.

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                      Yes, that's true. I think they're about "equally bad." Now LG topload Horribly Expensive washers (LG/samsung have no place in major appliances, at least based on current US models) are certainly worse than the samsungs.

I may have said this in another post- LG uses plastic corner "gussets" to hold the support rods, samsung uses *gasp* steel ones. When the ROM program screws up and throws the machine into off-balance full-spin, the LGs destroy themselves. The samsungs just get "the shakes" like the old Whirlpools did/do.

LG has the nerve to claim their "BIOS update" (revised ROM) would effectively prevent them from ever self destructing! No- LG needs a complete service kit for those machines; possibly that stupid ROM, definately metal corner supports.

Now what happens if the new LG ROM makes the machine "too conservative" to ever go into full spin speed? You get to put soaking wet clothes into the dryer, which costs more to dry.

"HE" my foot...

Like those knockoff brand "supermarket" sets that overdrive the LEDs? LEDs are bad enough- at rated current and 25 degrees C, 50,000 hours to half-brightness. Overdriven as they usually are, at elevated temps, they'll easily underlive and underperform CCFTs...

Don't tell this to the "youtube commentors" though- it's either an "LCD teevee" or an "LED teevee." The reality that only the backlight is different never occurred to that bunch.

Some great points brought up in the last few posts - failures are moving from the boards to the panels/LEDs. If a cap goes out on a CCFL-powered monitor, you replace it, and probably have a working monitor again. If the LEDs go in a LED-LCD monitor you're screwed. But, personally, I've had 0 failures in my LED monitors and that includes low to mid-priced Dell, Samsung, and *gasp* Acer monitors!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                        Some great points brought up in the last few posts - failures are moving from the boards to the panels/LEDs. If a cap goes out on a CCFL-powered monitor, you replace it, and probably have a working monitor again. If the LEDs go in a LED-LCD monitor you're screwed. But, personally, I've had 0 failures in my LED monitors and that includes low to mid-priced Dell, Samsung, and *gasp* Acer monitors!
                                        I get the feeling you keep the brightness down, which make a huge difference in lifespan with LEDs. I built a "pipelight" LED flashlight, with a high-CRI Sylvania LED. Output-vs-IFwd is nowhere near linear.

If kept cool, you could run those TV LEDs at ~50% current, but still get ~75-80% light output, and be able to run them for twice as long before falling to half-output-at-nominal-IFwd.

Side benefits include less load/heat for the power supply, etc.

The "supermarket" LED-LCDs, the real bad ones, just have the star PCBs

"heatsinked" to the steel backbox/frame of the LCD unit. No aluminum on the reverse side, no copper/aluminum mounting base sticks thru the steel backer to which the stars are mounted. These are those nasty "Emerson," "Crosley (Junkley)," etc rebrands. I've even seen the once-mighty "Sansui" slapped on this junk. All made by Funai.

Truly awful things. 10,000 hour backlight life- again to half brightness. So practical backlight life is ~5,000 hours. Doesn't really matter because those cheep LEDs have emission spikes that do not match the passbands of the LCD color filters, so even at full brightness, colors are dull and nasty.

Like those ugly LCD projectors of the late '90s- made any decent CRT look like 16k.

Now the CCFT backlights were more broadbanded. This hurt ultimate black levels some (lower contrast ratio), but more of the backlight output was within the passband of the color filters, so triphosphor tubes could really give LCDs nice color, especially the IPS ones.

You'll see either "white" LEDs for RGB LEDs for backlights. Cheap "white" is a blue LED with yellow phosphor- lousy color. This is not the same phosphor fluro tubes use. I wanted to avoid this in the "pipelight." Good white LEDs are more broadbanded, and some actually have red spectra, resembling modern general-lighting fluroescents.

RGB LEDs can be better, but only if the color filters match the bands of the LEDs.

The LED backlight retrofits on ebay? Save your money. They're the cheap "white" LEDs whose emission does not match the filters; hurts contrast ratio and kills color. It's not worth potentially destroying the display and it's color rendering just for the sake of proclaiming it's "LED backlit." Worse than what you started with.
                                        Last edited by kaboom; 01-20-2016, 08:20 PM.
                                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Super Flower Leadex Platinum 750 W: semi-fanless and fully-modular unit

Comment

Working...
                                          X