X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I have the X6DAI-G2 running a pair of paxvilles with 16gb ram, it runs S2K12 R1 beautiful. The DA8 is the same as the DAI, the DA8 has onboard SCSI though.....which would be a stellar upgrade for this case, since it would maintain its existing SCSI setup. I have a spare pair of paxvilles here...

I wouldn't give that much for one....but yea, they're around.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm//322654555499

We have the supermicro touch...
    The X6DA8-G2 can only run Nocona's and Irwindales. No Paxville. CPU wise it's maxed out. What you're looking for is the X6DA3-G2, which has onboard SAS (SCSI was discontinued at that point).

I remember finding you that board right after I bought the X6DA8, about the same timing.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 04-11-2018, 12:20 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      The X6DA8-G2 can only run Nocona's and Irwindales. No Paxville. CPU wise it's maxed out. What you're looking for is the X6DA3-G2, which has onboard SAS (SCSI was discontinued at that point).

I remember finding you that board right after I bought the X6DA8, about the same timing.
      hmmm...its the 7525 chipset (same as the DAI), it *should* support paxvilles.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

hmmm...its the 7525 chipset (same as the DAI), it *should* support paxvilles.
        My understanding was that the DAI and DA3 were specifically released to support paxville. Otherwise, the DAI wouldn't exist... as aside from Paxville support, it's the same damn thing as the DAE (of which I have one sitting, needs hotflashed to run again):

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5/X6DAE-G2.cfm

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5/X6DAI-G2.cfm

My guess is there is some difference in chip revisions or VRM design (since the paxvilles are a much higher TDP- looking at the pictures the DAI's VRM looks a bit beefier), as otherwise it would have been a BIOS update, not a new board... unlike Irwindale- the DAE and DA8 are originally Nocona Boards- I had to update the BIOS for the DA8 to POST with Irwindales installed (it was shipped to me with the factory nocona CPUs :puke: ).
        Last edited by ratdude747; 04-11-2018, 11:18 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

I forgot to post it, but a few weeks back, I got a really cool oldschool racing game for $3 from a local thrift store: Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed.

The disk is still shrink-wrapped. Not sure if it came like that or if it's a refurb/pre-owned (has EB Games sticker on it). But still, that's a pretty decent deal IMO for a game like that. While I do own this game already (NFS 5), it never hurts to have another original disk. Moreover, this means I now have two separate CD keys, so I can network two of my PCs to play it together (as to weather I have someone to race with or not is another discussion ).

In any case, it's awesome to have more of these older games. Just reading the minimum/recommended requirements gives me the thrills (and a trip back into time):
          Required Hardwre: Windows 95 or 98 (2000 and NT not supported), 200 MHz or faster Pentium MMX / AMD K6 equiv., 32 MB of RAM, 4 MB PCI or AGP video card with full D3D / DirectX 7.0a support, and 4x CD/DVD-ROM with 600 Kbps transfer rate and 32-bit driver

Okay, seriously, that last part of the requirements really cracks me up. When is the last time anyone remembers a game being so specific about the optical drive and its drivers. lol

We have the supermicro touch...
          I might joint that list too , though I don't know how soon. The SM board you gave me is still mothballed as I am waiting for bits and pieces to make the build - mostly waiting on the case. The one I want to use has a few rust spots on the bottom (the case is otherwise 100% cool and solid, though). I want to sand and paint over those, but either the weather hasn't been right for that (don't like painting when it's under 50F outside, and most paints don't recommend it anyways) or I didn't get a chance for the days when the weather was okay.
          Plus, I am also waiting for hotter weather to see how well that motherboard will fare in my room (80F+ in the summer) and if I need to do any mods to keep the board cool.

Comment

Free scores for last week :

1 - 4 Dual core / core 2 complete desktops , the client just wanted one single working one , with lot of war games . No Nvidias , so the rates went very low , IGI , Delta force Task Dagger and Moha .

2 - One Laptop Acer Ferrari MS2230 . Fan was totally damaged , but so far , was the only problem .

3 - Two Elivstar keyboards , a nice huge multimedia pele mele combination .. I like them ..

4 - 10 Nintendo 3ds games , cases never opened before , okay , I know Hanna Montana , lol .. They went for a dear friend anyway

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              I might joint that list too , though I don't know how soon. The SM board you gave me is still mothballed as I am waiting for bits and pieces to make the build - mostly waiting on the case. The one I want to use has a few rust spots on the bottom (the case is otherwise 100% cool and solid, though). I want to sand and paint over those, but either the weather hasn't been right for that (don't like painting when it's under 50F outside, and most paints don't recommend it anyways) or I didn't get a chance for the days when the weather was okay.
              Plus, I am also waiting for hotter weather to see how well that motherboard will fare in my room (80F+ in the summer) and if I need to do any mods to keep the board cool.
              If you received the board I think you did, an X5DAL, (Topcat told me about it before you knew ), as long as you have decent coolers with decent fans (which anything socket 604 is going to be), you'll do fine.

Highly suggested reading: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19538

Yeah, I'm a bit biased, but if you want to/need to do anything unusual (poor boy coolers, 8GB of RAM on 32 bit, etc.), that thread is your friend. I just got her running again last night (I'll post there what happened, wasn't the mainboard at least), she runs windows 7 decently well. Enjoy the board; once you go supermicro, you never go back .
              sigpic

Comment

My understanding was that the DAI and DA3 were specifically released to support paxville. Otherwise, the DAI wouldn't exist... as aside from Paxville support, it's the same damn thing as the DAE (of which I have one sitting, needs hotflashed to run again):

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5/X6DAE-G2.cfm

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5/X6DAI-G2.cfm

My guess is there is some difference in chip revisions or VRM design (since the paxvilles are a much higher TDP- looking at the pictures the DAI's VRM looks a bit beefier), as otherwise it would have been a BIOS update, not a new board... unlike Irwindale- the DAE and DA8 are originally Nocona Boards- I had to update the BIOS for the DA8 to POST with Irwindales installed (it was shipped to me with the factory nocona CPUs :puke: ).
                You may be right...the chipset *can* support them, but it may be how the board is wired. Just like some of the earlier Dell Precision 470/670's not running Paxvilles, but latter boards will. With this build, I want to keep the SCSI.... The SCA cage in something that's not a rackmount is a little unusual, so I'd like to keep it functional. Not to mention U320 SCA 15k RPM in decent sizes are pretty cheap these days.

I could live with a pair of Irwindales @ 3.8... When I can run Win7 decent on a pair of 1.4GHz Tualatins, I don't think this would be a problem.

It seems they're not too expensive either.
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/253551531671

FWIW, I wish there was a dual socket board out there that supported Tulsa's....
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I wouldn't give that much for one....but yea, they're around.
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm//322654555499
                  I threw the guy a lowball offer, and it was accepted....so the burning question will be answered.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

^We shall see. The 3.8's are indeed not expensive; I can't remember how much I paid for mine, but it was at or under $30 for the pair. You will not be let down. Just be sure it's not the "e" model, which has no HT.
                    sigpic

Comment

Highly suggested reading: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19538

Yeah, I'm a bit biased, but if you want to/need to do anything unusual (poor boy coolers, 8GB of RAM on 32 bit, etc.), that thread is your friend.
                      Thanks.

Yes, I have added that thread in my bookmarks for a long time (and also subscribed to it still), precisely because of the things you mentioned (but really mainly running more than 4 GB of RAM on a 32-bit OS). I probably won't go past running the 4 GB stock RAM That came with the board from TC or add anything else to it (no crazy RAID controllers or anything like that). If anything, it will be kept as simple as possible. Might even go with an older IDE HDD (80-160 GB), as I like the reliability of those. But will see. OS is very likely going to be XP, because.... I can't let it go just yet.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                      2 - One Laptop Acer Ferrari MS2230 . Fan was totally damaged , but so far , was the only problem .
                      IIRC, those used to go for quite a bit when new. Even if outdated, they are still cool IMO
                      Just need to find a matching brand of car for it now.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                      4 - 10 Nintendo 3ds games , cases never opened before , okay , I know Hanna Montana , lol
                      When saying it like that, I begin to think you kept one for yourself maybe
                      Last edited by momaka; 04-13-2018, 12:51 AM.

Comment

^We shall see. The 3.8's are indeed not expensive; I can't remember how much I paid for mine, but it was at or under $30 for the pair. You will not be let down. Just be sure it's not the "e" model, which has no HT.
                        I found a pair for $36 shipped as a backup incase the paxvilles don't work. They're SL7ZB, definitely HT.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Rescued this some days ago, it has some rust, well a lot, and is useless nowadays, does not worth time of cleaning it, and I guess these clones made in Taiwan where common on their days but it is around thirty years old and after a clean it powered on without problems only the hdd is dead, the motor won't start,a 20mb mfm nec 2156 drive, a shame.
                          And the first MDA monitor I've seen.
                          sure some forum members have good memories attached to a similar machine, it's a 8088-2.
                          Well there was a mouse corpse inside the case maybe it eaten the some bits of the hdd.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Carboot started up again this week so back at it. Grabbed a few things including

Original gameboy with Tetris game inside - £2
                            Anthony gallo MPs 150 subwoofer - £5
                            Logitech g430 headset - £10
                            2 x Apc 24 port 1u network switches and apc 15 gang ac power strip - £6
                            Sony rdr dvd recorder with hdmi - £4

Nothing tested yet till some sleep! Not a bad haul for first day back at it.

Comment

Originally posted by hikaruichijo View Post
                              only the hdd is dead, the motor won't start,a 20mb mfm nec 2156 drive, a shame.
                              I don't think those older HDDs have parking ramps, so the heads may have stuck to the platters, preventing the HDD from spinning up. Old trick for these drives is to bang them around a little (tap or hit the drive on a hard surface... but not too hard to cause damage). Then try powering it on and see if it spins up. I have a 20 GB Maxtor, which although much newer, suffers from the same problem. Recently I tested an old Quantum Bigfoot I had in storage, and it had that problem too. Didn't take much of a tap get the HDD spinning again.

Comment

Already tried that, but I can move the motor and the head by hand but it wont spin up and the voltages are present on the conector of the motor.
                                I've had that problem with an old scsi segate 10gb drive, one lite hit and running, and after some time of storage again the same problem, but another identical drive never had that problem...

Comment

Not quite dead at that point, there were several X7 series SM boards that had SCSI well past the X6 series.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...000X/X7DA8.cfm

The X8 series was the first series of their server & workstation boards that had no SCSI option.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Another Z800 and a pair of 2x2 Ergotrons! Time to rearrange the office...

Comment

Well, here is a not-so-interesting but functional PC I found two weeks ago in my townhouse neighborhood on trash day:
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1524018918

It's a Dell Inspiron 530 with a Core 2 Duo E4700 (2.6 GHz), 4 GB of DDR2 RAM (4x 1 GB), and a HIS Radeon 4670 video card with 1 GB of VRAM. Original PSU seems to have been replaced for some reason - a shame really, as the original was probably built better. On that note, the replacement PSU in there is a ThermalTake PurePower PP-350NL1NC (advertised as 350 Watts peak and 305 Watts continuous). It's a not-so-impressive CWT / Channel Well Tech. under the cover, but it does work. Also, the computer came with two optical DVD-R/RW drives: the original plus a newer one. Both are SATA. There was no hard drive in the PC. I found it in the recycling bin with the lid off and screws loosely banging inside.

Now here is the funny part: the original optical drive had a game disc inside it - Medal of Honor: Airborne. I haven't tested the disc yet, nor ever played this game, but it should be right up my alley, as it's an older DX9.0c-based game and a first person shooter too.

So double-score?
                                      ... I guess that depends on how you look at it. The PC was extremely dusty inside and absolutely needed cleaning. Coming from the row of townhouses in my neighborhood, though, I knew it wouldn't be disgusting and/or have any bugs or pests in it (like bedbugs or roaches). Nevertheless, I did a complete disassembly and cleaning + disinfecting with ammonia-based window cleaner. It looks almost like new now. Actually, the pictures above show it in the clean condition. When I picked it up, there were HUGE dust bunnies inside. The CPU heatsink, GPU heatsink, and PSU were caked with dust too. Also, the dust stunk of mold a bit. But now it's all been cleaned up and looks good. Still a bit of a moldy smell inside the case, but I'm sure it will come out as I run the PC eventually. On that note, I haven't found a use for it yet. But it's a decent PC for browsing - the best I've found in my neighborhood so far.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by momaka; 04-17-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Those were interesting cases, looking rather e-Machine-ish but hiding something nicer inside...

Bet it's quiet with that large heatsink and CPU fan, only ramping up under heavy load.
                                        Last edited by kaboom; 04-17-2018, 08:49 PM.
                                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                        Originally posted by shango066
                                        All style and no substance.
                                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I haven't tested it under heavy load to find out, but I'm fairly sure it's quiet. One thing I don't like on these newer Dells (as in, socket 775 and newer, lol) is the lack of PS/2 ports. I don't have a whole lot of USB mice and keyboards (only one of each, actually... or at least until I got a second USB keyboard a few weeks ago), so it's hard to do any semi-permanent or permanent setups.

Other than that, it should also be a pretty reliable PC, given it's an Intel G33) chipset and it doesn't run too hot. I don't trust the chipsets on modern motherboards these days. Same goes for last-gen nVidia chipsets (glad they don't make these anymore).

Comment

Working...
                                          X