My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpsusearch View Post
They're here!

Force SL-8600EPS (MAX 600W)

The only notable difference it has from this unit..
..is the fan, that is different. Here, we have a sleeve bearing Globe fan that seized and cooked the output inductor toroid coil.
LOL.
By the way, do you still fix/save the fans after they have seized?
I certainly do. And the only reason why is because it looks like sleeve bearing fans are becoming a thing of the past now. Many manufacturers have started switching to these shitty "long life" bearing fans - i.e. *sealed* sleeve bearing fans. I HATE THOSE THINGS!

At least the cheap (non-sealed) sleeve bearing fans are serviceable and actually last quite a while with a proper cleaning and good lubricant. My oldest sleeve bearing fan is going on a record for almost more than 10 years now. Granted I haven't used it 24/7 at full blast, but rather 20 to 30 minutes per day (on average per its entire life). Yet, it still spins like new.

Quote:
Powertech ATX-450W
Oh man. Now the PSU you just posted before this one looks like a 10 Gigawatt powerstation. This one is like a cell phone charger / power adapter in a PSU case.

Oh, and even the fan doesn't inspire confidence with that label. Speaking of which, I've never seen H.X.S. brand before? Perhaps that was meant to foreshadow what would happen with the PSU if you use it - i.e. lots of thick black smoke pour out and pollute everything. .

In case anyone didn't catch what I meant above about the fan brand: I was making a reference to Hexxus from the kids movie "Ferngully".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr4knvNNgtU

Quote:
-Funny scissors drawings appear on PCB. They tell you what to do with this pos.
LOL
Or perhaps also meant to tell the slave children/workers assembling these PSUs which components to remove in case the PSU needs "fine tuning" to work stable with the undersized components.

Quote:
Hantol HPSU550

Same model as this, but different platform.
Hmm.. no fake passive PFC coil in this one? I guess the black PCB mask and case paint job ate the budget for the fake PFC.

On that note, I HATE BLACK PCBs! Sorry if that sounds racist, but I really do. Same goes for any dark color PCB, actually. I really don't understand why people think it looks neat. To me it looks like the PCB burned itself to a crisp. I could easily achieve the same by dumping a bunch of coal on an old motherboard or PSU PCB and lighting it on fire.

Seriously, this black PCB fad needs to go away like 5 years ago now.

Quote:
12A rectifier for 12V and 16A for 3.3V and 5V. This thing is still being sold and people are buying it.
Because people have stayed informed and learned about the new nano-cosmicon particle energy field that is only built into new electronics. It basically allows you to squeeze up to 10 times the power from any one power component and easily overclock your CPU to over 10 GHz. So those rectifiers above are good for 120 and 160 Amps respectively, because of that technology. Hence the 550 Watt power rating, which I am sure is real. You just haven't read up about it and simple don't understand.

Quote:
PAN STAR PSA-235
Any comments?
While still pretty overrated, at least it wasn't that terrible of a PSU for its time period. After all, PCs in 1998 and up until the Pentium 3 era ended were just not heavy power users. Unless you had over 3 or 4 HDDs and 2 ODDs connected to a PSU like that, there's no way you could blow one of these up under load.
... though that 10 Amp rectifier for the 5V rail is cutting it very close, and thus limiting the power on the 5V rail to 50 Watts max. I suppose that was enough back in the day for just about any single CPU PC. As far as I remember, GPU power consumption really didn't take off until the GeForce 4 TI / Radeon 9700 generation of GPUs came about.

And a dual CPU (Pentium Pro / Pentium II) setup in 1998? HA! Ain't nobody (regular) got money for that. (Back then)

Last edited by momaka; 02-23-2018 at 08:24 PM..
momaka is online now   Reply With Quote