EVs Rule

City & State: Leeds
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: How a plasma display panel (PDP) works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmmy View Post
So there are no small amounts of mercury in a plasma screen that produces light? Its done with neon gas instead?
Zero mercury in a plasma display panel. It's all neon, xenon and argon plus a small amount of nitrogen. Newer PDPs use more exotic combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
What do you think of the Panasonic VT50? It's supposed to be the best plasma out on the market today, perhaps considered even better than top of the line LCDs.
It is the best PDP commercially available, though the VT60 is due to come out later this year (probably around March) with a better display filter -- but that's about it. However, it has nothing on the old 9.5G Pioneer Kuro. The 9.5G Kuro is the only flat-screen TV (aside from OLED, which is about 5-10 years away) that has achieved an infinite contrast ratio (i.e. zero black level.) Panasonic bought the tech, but hasn't used it because it's very expensive to implement; Panasonic achieve a real-world contrast closer to 30,000~50,000:1 typically. There also appears to be minimal difference between the GTxx, STxx and VTxx -- the actual performance difference is not due to the PDP or drive electronics (they're the same, with a few minor changes) but the main board, which has different software on it. So it may be possible to upgrade a GTxx into a VTxx -- someone on this forum recently installed a V20E main board in a G20B plasma, and it worked...

And any plasma will beat an LCD hands down on contrast ratio, colour depth, and motion performance. The penalty is slightly reduced brightness (though still about the same on normal viewing), glossy glass screen, and higher power consumption, though a modern plasma is less hungry than a CCFL backlit LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
Also, why do pre-HD resolution plasmas have 1:1 native resolutions (Like 1024x1024) when the screens dimensions do not match?
They are ALiS displays (Fujitsu-Hitachi), the only interlaced plasmas. They don't make them any more, left the business in 2008 I think. The display is physically 1024x512, but each electrode is capable of sustaining in two halves, which effectively doubles the display resolution. Basically a way of getting HD with minimal extra cost (still using VGA-resolution panels.) They are HD capable -- as they can display 720p content, arguably better than most 720p plasmas, which are 1024x768 (for a 42".)

As to why they chose that odd resolution, I don't know. If they'd done 1024x768 or 1368x768 I could understand, and that'd be cheaper too, as it'd only use 384 vertical lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat
Good information, thanks for sharing that!
Couldn't do it without this great forum. So thank you!
Free service manuals: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ -- 72 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 28 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers fixed! -- I repair Pioneer 9G Plasma Main Boards & KRP-M01 Media Receivers (PM me for info)

2 Pioneer KURO 9G, 12 Panasonic LCD/Plasma, 1 Sony LCD, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 5 Sharp LCDs, 5 Toshiba LCDs, 7 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 11 LG LCD/Plasma, 18 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 1 Baird (China) LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 22 Vestel LCDs (Best->Worst)

Last edited by tom66; 02-03-2013 at 08:38 PM..
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote