Sony kdl-46w905a won’t turn on and relay clicking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony kdl-46w905a won’t turn on and relay clicking noise

Hi I got Sony kdl-46w905a and it won't turn on and no red blinking code and all I hear when I plug it in is a clicking noise and a pause for a second then another clicking noise as if the power supply has a relay and is relay is turning off the power supply bcuz of a problem, bcuz of this I have no way to check voltages anywhere as there's no standby light but I think I get a white light for a second then goes off, I've checked for bad capacitors or shorted mosfets but haven't found a problem, and I was thinking if there's a way To bypass the protection so it stays on so I can check voltages ? Or maybe someone can help me on what to try ?

Re: Sony kdl-46w905a won't turn on and relay clicking noise

Unplug from power, unhook cable from powerboard to mainboard, plug power back into powerboard, do backlights come on and is the clicking the same?

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
      Unplug from power, unhook cable from powerboard to mainboard, plug power back into powerboard, do backlights come on and is the clicking the same?
      I've tried unplugging cables from each board but no difference and no backlight

Comment

Ok, with everything hooked up do test #3 below, demonstration in #2 if needed, try to do just as instructed, this test is done on the cold side, as always BE VERY CAREFUL when working with the HOT/DEADLY side of powerboard.
        Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Ok, with everything hooked up do test #3 below, demonstration in #2 if needed, try to do just as instructed, this test is done on the cold side, as always BE VERY CAREFUL when working with the HOT/DEADLY side of powerboard.
          I noticed the relay doesn't click when I disconnect the cable from the power supply going to main board, and when it's connected there's no voltages at all on any pins of the power supply, but when I disconnect cable going to main board then the only voltage I get is stand by voltage 3.3v, but no other voltages are present, and as soon as I connect the cable going to main board with power connected the relay on power supply clicks and stand by voltage is gone, the capacitors on main board i checked voltage, and only getting voltage on the big 400v caps and voltage is around 310v, and it doesn't make a difference if the cable going to main board is connected it disconnected , still only voltage on big caps the test I get no voltage ?

Comment

Can you post a good clear picture of the powerboard and the pin labels of the connector if any?

Comment

Can you post a good clear picture of the powerboard and the pin labels of the connector if any?
              Here pictures of power board
              Attached Files

Comment

Could try jump starting power board and see if you get the missing voltages, with cable from powerboard to mainboard UNHOOKED, make sure it is, then connect low wattage resistor from POWER..ON to STBY 3.3 and another resistor from STBY 3.3 to BL_ON, power up powerboard, see if you get the missing voltages and if the backlights come on and stay on.

Comment

Could try jump starting power board and see if you get the missing voltages, with cable from powerboard to mainboard UNHOOKED, make sure it is, then connect low wattage resistor from POWER..ON to STBY 3.3 and another resistor from STBY 3.3 to BL_ON, power up powerboard, see if you get the missing voltages and if the backlights come on and stay on.
                  I've never tried that but do you know any videos about doing that and I still don't understand if it's main board or power supply but main board is not available anywhere at the moment but I can get power supply but prefer repairing it

Comment

Powerboard the one with the big caps and transformers on it.

Comment

Check all your diodes if any read strange take out of circuit and recheck.

Comment

That test in post #8, if passes usually verifies powerboard and backlights, leaving either a mainboard, tcon, panel issue or connection.
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-21-2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Demo there, HEED THE WARNING OF DEADLY VOLTAGES ON HOT SIDE, he used an alligator clip to short pins together, it's recommended to use a resistor so you don't mess up any components in case you accidentally short the wrong pins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvclBfaMXg

Comment

Demo there, HEED THE WARNING OF DEADLY VOLTAGES ON HOT SIDE, he used an alligator clip to short pins together, it's recommended to use a resistor so you don't mess up any components in case you accidentally short the wrong pins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvclBfaMXg
                            Thanks I'll try and get back but what value resistor is recommended ?

Comment

I think usually 1k or less.

Comment

Working...
                              X