raidmax 500w just exploded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raidmax 500w just exploded

the raidmax 500w in one of the pcs i was trying to sell just exploded-bad smell, sparks coming out of the back vent, and it powered off
    put in a bestec 300w and the pc is fine!

see post #26
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...?t=7153&page=2

Re: raidmax 500w just exploded

The PSUs in this clip are raidmax. They should NEVER under any circumstances be used in any PC.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

yeah, raidmax is never good. they and powmax are sparky shit.

what do your other pc's have in them (that way we can weed out any bombs)
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11059

Comment

Ah, I forgot about that one, but unless it's one of these it still could be a gutless wonder.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Its that exact psu. Lol. It seemed ok so thats why i kept it

Comment

Hmm. I wonder why it exploded them. I wish I was there to see it. Oh well, I'm sure I'll see lots of explosions when I get my PSU load tester up and running. I wouldn't mind pouring some petrol on a couple before I overload them.

Comment

look like 5VSB switcher transistor exploded because of badcaps on 5VSB secondary, I guess.

BTW. Raidmax brand very popular in my country especialy RX-530SS modular cable.
                the RS-530SS model was clone PCB from Enermax EG-365P.
                | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
                | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

All caps look fine.
                  Heres the intwresting thing:
                  This pc worked fine, then i moved. I have had it sitting in the garage ever since. I am now listing some of my pcs on craigslist, but i wanted to retest it before i put it on. So i plugged it in, turned it on, wrote specs on an inex card, and was going to put it in the sell of craigslist "pile". While i was writing the specs, something did smell amiss (besides thw. I had to press the power button two times before it turned on. I sniffed the back of the pau vent while it was running and it DID smell very lightly like hot component. But i was like oh well (but at this point i was considering not selling it seeing that it wasnt working...
                  I dont know why. I just decided to plug it in and test it one more time. So i plug it in. Hit the power button. Nothing happens. Press it again. BANG!
                  Last edited by shovenose; 11-03-2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

i still do not rust the unit. likely crappy quality components and shi*ty soldering. proceed with caution.
                    sigpic

Comment

well im split between fixing it, by replacing the blown switcher, a burnt-looking reisistor next to it, and the fuse, and taking it apaprt. my vote is take it apart and keep the parts... whatdya thinkz?

Comment

Take it apart.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

rifle target.

Comment

if it was cold when you powered it up, all the electrolytics would have been way-under the rated value.
                            caps improve a bit when warm and go totally useless if they get really cold - probably the electrolyte freezing.

Comment

Lol it was room temperature...but then again this pc was in the cold garage for a month. But i still doubt thats it. Becuase it worked sort of ok a few times pre-explosion

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                rifle target.
                                quoted for truth

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  Take it apart.
                                  Yes, give it a good autopsy and see what failed. Maybe post some pics, too (other than the ones on the JG forums).

From what I've seen in a Sun Pro built Raidmax RX-380K (KY-480ATX) that someone gave me, the soldering is just beyond horrible. Spacing of the traces on the primary side is also completely wrong - it's the same as the secondary side, which is bad because you have high voltages on the primary side that can jump the gap between traces and cause the PSU to fail. There is no plastic insulation sheet on mine either - for extra safety I guess.

Overall I'm not really surprised to see another one of these pieces of crap blow up. Good to hear it didn't do any damage to your computer.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 11-04-2010, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Well whats interesting is that mine DID have a plastic insulation sheet. Whats with the two different model numbers? I was looking at this psu some more (cant do autopsy yet my solder iron sort of caught on fire), and i realised that it is nearly brand new. Theres not a single piece of dust anywhere. Thia thing had a few days on it. Andthe poor thing died so soon

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                      Whats with the two different model numbers?
                                      The company that builds this particular model for Raidmax is Sun Pro and they supply PSUs for other companies as well. The first model number (RX-380K) is just what Raidmax decided to call it. The second one (KY-480ATX) is proprietary to Sun Pro - it's the model that Sun Pro actually makes. This second model number may be seen on PSUs of other companies that buy from Sun Pro as well.

Comment

Good for spare heatsinks...

I have only seen 2 Raidmax and one of them went up in a cloud of smoke. I don't think they are very good.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X