LCD Screen separators.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD Screen separators.

Does anyone have any experience using those LCD screen separators, like the one found here: https://www.tomtop.com/maintenance-t...SABEgJrkfD_BwE

We're repairing a lot of cell phones (like Samsung's) where just the glass is broke. It's a good bit of money usually to replace the whole front assembly (the glass, digitizer, and LCD screen). It's a real pain to try and separate the digitizer from the glass. We were thinking of purchasing one of these screen separators, but wanted to see if they actually worked.

Also, if they do work well, any suggestions on a good one?

We have a customer who brought us a Samsung Galaxy S3. An OEM replacement front assembly is around 60$ - 80$. Just the glass and plastic part is only 8$.

Thanks!
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: LCD Screen separators.

Removing the glass is only half the job. It then needs cleaning and the new glass attaching.
    Loca glue is messy and the Loca sheets require a vacuum and a bit of heat. There is the cost of jigs to consider too.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      Removing the glass is only half the job. It then needs cleaning and the new glass attaching.
      Loca glue is messy and the Loca sheets require a vacuum and a bit of heat. There is the cost of jigs to consider too.
      Thank you. I hadn't thought about the removing the old glue from the digitizer and adding the new glue.

Would you recommend the Loca glue over the sheets? I'm sure it'd take a bit of practice before we got it down pat, but we have some old broken phones we can play with...

I think in the end, if we can get proficient at it, it could increase our profit margins a good bit. In the city here, we see a lot of cell phones with cracked glass. For some reason, we get a lot of Samsung and iPhone's. For the Samsung ones, there's a lot of Galaxy's, but they're not the only model Samsung's we get.

For the Loca sheets, couldn't we use that seperator we linked to, the one that has the built-in vacuum, to reassemble the screen once we get the glass replaced?

Thanks!

Comment

The proper way is the sheets.
        No, you need a vacuum chamber not a vacuum bed. One holds the glass the other puts the screen under a vacuum and I believe some heat.

Comment

Thank you diif.

I hate posting e-bay links, but would this be what you're talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/i/302268389614?chn=ps&dispItem=1

or maybe something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/i/282532762911?chn=ps&dispItem=1

To me, the first one looks better. But we wouldn't need one where we could do four at once. I do like how the four shelves are independently temperature controlled though.

Comment

I've been doing some research thanks to Diif. You gave me some terms to search for.

LOCA = Liquid Optical Clear Adhesive
            OCA = Optically Clear Adhesive

The LOCA needs to be UV cleared, and like Diff says, it's very messy I guess.
            The vacuum chamber, I believe, is called an Autoclave.

Right now, having a hard time finding one that's considered a good one. I see stuff from aliexpress for around 800$ that supposedly remove the bubbles. Someone on iFixit bought it and was having some issues. Someone from Samsung gave some tips. 60 degrees C for 10 minutes, but he doesn't give a pressure.

Someone who bought one from AliExpress said:
            Code:
            1. OCA to glass with hand silicone-roll,

2. OCA+glass to autoclave for 10 min 45C

3. again rolling

4. OCA+glass to LCD in mold

5. finally LCD+OCA+glass to vacuum press for 4min and vacuum time 1min / no bubbles

6. back to autoclave(for sure) for 20min/ 0.5-0.6Mpa
            I think with a higher quality autoclave, it might be much quicker. If I could find one that is higher quality, even if it costs 4 or 5 thousand dollars, I think it'd be worth the investment and we could earn the money back fairly quick like.

I'd like to add, just before anyone suggests it, we don't want to use one of those store bought vacuum sealers. I'd rather purchase the equipment to do it professional and right than try to take cheap shortcuts that will cost us in the end. We don't want the screens coming back because they started separating or anything of that.

I really do appreciate the help on this. I really think this is something we're going to invest, once we figure out exactly what hardware we should be purchasing. I think we can provide a good service at a reasonable cost in this area and still make a decent profit.
            Last edited by Spork Schivago; 07-02-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Autoclaves can be vacuum and non vacuum.
              Only you know the quantity you do, throw in the cost of a a few LCD replacements to cover any breakages the cost of the glass and sheet and you have how many you need to do to break even.
              Note the big one requires a vacuum pump. The small one doesn't.
              I don't see why a better machine would be quicker. It's neither high pressure or temperature so a "better" one won't get there much quicker. It just looks to be more for larger scale operations.
              This listing has an autoclave and also a laminating machine indicating both are required to do the job maybe ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-in-1-LCD...-/262504864967
              Last edited by diif; 07-02-2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                Autoclaves can be vacuum and non vacuum.
                Only you know the quantity you do, throw in the cost of a a few LCD replacements to cover any breakages the cost of the glass and sheet and you have how many you need to do to break even.
                Note the big one requires a vacuum pump. The small one doesn't.
                I don't see why a better machine would be quicker. It's neither high pressure or temperature so a "better" one won't get there much quicker. It just looks to be more for larger scale operations.
                This listing has an autoclave and also a laminating machine indicating both are required to do the job maybe ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-in-1-LCD...-/262504864967
                Okay, for the different price ranges, it's just for the quantity? From the reading I've done (I still need to do more), some people buy a unit for x amount of dollars and then they use it, get no bubbles, and 7 hours later, bubbles appear. I was thinking the heating element and the vacuum pressure would have a lot to do with it. For example, maybe there were the cheaper aliexpress ones that used inferior heating elements and much cheaper vacuum pumps, so instead of getting a steady temp, they fluctuated a lot or instead of steady pressure, the pressure would constantly fluctuate.

They also make these things that remove the polarizer and people seem to suggest that replacing the polarizer is an important step. Essentially, a heated razor blade / putty knife type device that slides between the polarizer and the LCD screen.

When we lived in the country, we got a lot of PCs. In the city here, we've been averaging around 5 - 7 a week and we're not even advertising about cells. We tell people we fix electronics, they ask about cells, I say my wife does the cells, they always know someone who's got a cracked screen. We fix it, next thing you know, they're telling their friends and they're telling theirs.

The Samsung S7 my wife has, that has glass on the back and the front. I think to replace a cracked screen like that, it'd be much cheaper if we had the proper equipment to replace just the glass. Just to replace the front assembly (glass, digitizer, LCD screen), I believe you need to replace the back as well.

Comment

I think when they say laminator, it's not what we're thinking. I think it's just a heated vacuum chamber that they are also calling a laminator. I believe they call it that because when you put a new polarizer on, for instance, you're kinda laminating one side of the LCD screen.

Here's a video where they refer to the heated vacuum chamber as a laminator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbqqfFoLpY

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                    I think when they say laminator, it's not what we're thinking. I think it's just a heated vacuum chamber that they are also calling a laminator. I believe they call it that because when you put a new polarizer on, for instance, you're kinda laminating one side of the LCD screen.

Here's a video where they refer to the heated vacuum chamber as a laminator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUbqqfFoLpY
                    I've contacted stsparts.us. They seem to have a lot of videos on how to use their equipment and seem to sell everything that would be needed. I think we might go for the machines they sell.

They also sell LCD testers, but you need one for each model. For example, there's an iPhone 6 tester that would test the LCD screens on all the iPhone 6 model phones. Then there's one that works with the 4's and the 5's. It's the only one they sell that works with different models.

I'm wondering if there's any all-in-one testers out there that would be one box and would let us test all the iPhone's and a bunch of the Samsung ones. Probably not though.

Comment

When I looked into this some time ago, there were a lot of people already offering similar services for Iphones and I was not prepared to join that race to the bottom. What I did find though was the key to making this work well was in sourcing quality

4 in 1 Glass, Frame, OCA and Polarizer assemblies
                      and
                      3 in 1 Glass, Frame, and OCA assemblies

For the iphone models you intend to offer glass only repairs

There are five main pieces of equipment you will require

3 in 1 LCD Separation Machine
                      Polarizer removal machine
                      Vacuum Laminator/Press Machine
                      OCA/Polarizer Automatic Film Laminating Machine:
                      Autoclave/Debubbler

I would highly recommend you select the vacuum lamina-tor/press and vacuum autoclave that require an external vacuum pump over the ones with built in.

You will also need a compressor for the OCA/Polarizer automatic film laminating machine.

There are a lot of sundries and additional items that you need, a small clean room facility would be highly useful, moulds, lcd testers cleaning agents.

When I costed up the main component equipment costs it was around £2500 for pretty much everything, there are cheaper and more expensive options as always.

Hope this is of use

Comment

Originally posted by llonen View Post
                        When I looked into this some time ago, there were a lot of people already offering similar services for Iphones and I was not prepared to join that race to the bottom. What I did find though was the key to making this work well was in sourcing quality

4 in 1 Glass, Frame, OCA and Polarizer assemblies
                        and
                        3 in 1 Glass, Frame, and OCA assemblies

For the iphone models you intend to offer glass only repairs

There are five main pieces of equipment you will require

3 in 1 LCD Separation Machine
                        Polarizer removal machine
                        Vacuum Laminator/Press Machine
                        OCA/Polarizer Automatic Film Laminating Machine:
                        Autoclave/Debubbler

I would highly recommend you select the vacuum lamina-tor/press and vacuum autoclave that require an external vacuum pump over the ones with built in.

You will also need a compressor for the OCA/Polarizer automatic film laminating machine.

There are a lot of sundries and additional items that you need, a small clean room facility would be highly useful, moulds, lcd testers cleaning agents.

When I costed up the main component equipment costs it was around £2500 for pretty much everything, there are cheaper and more expensive options as always.

Hope this is of use
                        Yes, this is a lot of help, thank you. We figured spending around 5,000$ or so. So far, we're currently the only one in are area (at least that we're aware of) that does this type of repair. I guess there's a new company opening up on Market that is supposed to be doing cell phone repairs, but that could bring us business. There's some place that offers to replace the charging ports on cell phones for a couple hundred bucks! We charge 40$ usually for that.

We would have trouble finding the complete front assembly when we'd do a repair (replacing the glass, digitizer, LCD screen, polarizer, etc) and sometimes, we'd have to turn to ebay. They'd list them as new, and it wasn't until just recently that I realized they weren't new at all! I think what they did was cheap out on the polarizer or other important step. We'd get the screen and touch wouldn't work right at all. We'd send it back, get another that had the same problem. We'd get our money back, try another seller and find one that worked. I think there's a lot of people that might buy broken assemblies, repair them, and then sell them as "new".

Comment

If it is any use I will check the suppliers I found for the three in one and four in one assemblies when I get back to the workshop and list them for you.

Comment

These are the screen assembly repair units I was looking at then

4 in 1 Glass, Frame, OCA and Polarizer

10 PCS All iPhone Models Glass/Frame/OCA/Polarizer http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ujyRZRZ

and

3 in 1 Glass, Frame, and OCA
                            iPhone 6 & 6+ Models Glass w/Frame and OCA http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/BqfieMb

These would be my starting suggestions

hope this is of use to you

Comment

It is helpful. Thank you very much llonen.

Comment

Working...
                              X