Need help identifying a component. Supermicro X9DRL-iF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying a component. Supermicro X9DRL-iF

Sorry this isn't exactly cap related but I don't know where else to ask. I have a Supermicro X9DRL-iF board and the customer told me that a bad power supply caused these components to blow after he tried a 2nd identical board and the same components blew.

I need your guy's help, can anyone tell me what these components are called? and where can I find replacements? He would like to get both boards working again. I can't see any markings on them, and I haven't desoldered them yet. I will probably desolder two good ones from the other board just to see if it will even work and worth pursuing.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Need help identifying a component. Supermicro X9DRL-iF

They are ceramic capacitors
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks, is there a way to find out their values so I know what to look for?

Comment

The ic's appear to be ISL6627CRZ, but the data sheet does'nt show the cap values.
        If you can't find the value, remove one of the good ones and check its capacity, I suspect the voltage rating will be low, 10 volts?
        Attached Files

Comment

Also check if the caps are connected to the CPU VRM low side (CPU V_core, which is usually 1.x volts) or high side (typically 12V). This will matter for choosing the voltage rating of the caps - for the high side (12V), a rating of 25V or more is recommended. For the low side, 4V or more would be needed.

Originally posted by fety View Post
          Thanks, is there a way to find out their values so I know what to look for?
          Probably best to remove one and check the capacitance (if you have a capacitance meter, that is). Otherwise, going by what voltage rail the caps are connected to, I find that high-side ceramic caps are typically 4.7 uF and low-side caps vary between 4.7 uF to 20 uF, depending on size and count.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Can anyone recommend a cheap but adequate LCR or capacitance meter? I found this on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WNNYQT...1WNNYQT5497854

Will it do what is needed?

Thanks

Comment

For the price, I think that seems to be a pretty reasonable product, considering it's a dedicated LCR meter. Only downfall is that it only goes to 2000 uF, and lowest inductance scale is 200 uH. But not too bad.

For the small ceramic caps talked about in this thread, this should work fine.

On the other hand, I can't also help but also recommend one of those cheap "component/transistor testers" from eBay and AliExpress (typically $15 or less with free S&H). The nice thing about them is that they can measure ESR on capacitors as well - very helpful for testing electrolytic caps. They also offer higher range for the capacitance (I think 20000 uF, if not more). As for inductance, IIRC mine couldn't measure below 5 or 10 uH. So, similar to the LCR meter above, the low-range on the inductance isn't that great. But you do get transistor test functions as well.
              Last edited by momaka; 06-04-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X