Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Nautical Equipment - SBC 500 FR ADV PLUS - Shorted Output Error E1

Hello everyone!

I have this SBC 500 FR Advanced plus nautical charger that gives E1 error which, in manual, is stated as output short error.

Examining the rectifiers i noticed that they measured about 150k resistance backwards so i thought they were leaky and replaced them.

However i still get the same message

I removed the main transformer and still get the same message.

The parts i replaced are:
    1x STPS30H100CW
    1x STPS40H100CW (these two are interconnected)
    3x STPS6045CW

On the main input filter capacitor i get 315V when i switch on the charger, then when a relay engages i get 390V, and again when the error is detected and the relay disengages i get again 315V.

Now i am skeptical if the problem is indeed on the output or it is a false error.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Re: Quick Nautical Equipment - SBC 500 FR ADV PLUS - Shorted Output Error E1

check those ceramic caps near the output terminals for shorts.

Comment

I Checked those ceramics and they are not shorted. Also the outputs do not have a short to ground. However the "master" output has arround 7K5 resistance to negative and output 1-2 28K.

Thanks!

Comment

Does there any voltage come out at all (even for a split second) on the 3 outputs?

Comment

No... there is no voltage on any of the outputs...

Comment

This is the circuit (the part with the 4x SOT-23) that connects to the outputs and goes to the microprocessor.

For some reason resistor values are way off but they may be connected in parallel at a different place?

Just another note: I measured the output of the FETs on the primary contacts of the transformer and i don't get any voltage upon power on....
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sententia; 06-09-2016, 02:07 AM.

Comment

were the fuses checked

Comment

Hello,

Yes both fuses checked GOOD!

Comment

I have to give the charger away tomorrow so i want to take a last look to maybe find what the problem is. Checking the circuit on the primary side i noticed a strange reading of 1ohm across the diode noted in the picture. The diode measures ok.
                  Next to that there is a part which a can't recognize. If it is a coil the maybe the readings are ok. But if its something else it definitely measures shorted.....

If anyone has any more input about the part o whatever i will give it a try!

Thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1466185446
                    It looks like current sensing transformer, the two big tab (one-turn winding) under the the transformer has one end connected to GND plain, another tab goes some where around the MOSFETs section, the 3 pins on the right side are the outputs side, that Diode that shows 8 Ohms or so may be showing the total resistance reading of the two resistors (15R0, 12R1) connected in parallel. I cannot tell exactly how that section is connected together to form the circuit, hard to trace the board.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

aaa ok! That makes sense...

The diode connects to the circuit above as noted in the picture.

The diode does not measure the same as the parallel resistors which measure 7ohms.

bump with this one....
                      Attached Files

Comment

check that UC3809 PWM. See if it gets Vdd (min. 12V), and if there is something coming out of the gate drive. Since the PWM has a HV pin, maybe it got fried (power surge).

Comment

Ok! Although UCC3809 gets steady 13V on VDD, the gate drive output is 0V. Not even a small peak upon power on.

However i am not sure how the feedback circuit works but i think the gate output should give something..... hmmm

EDIT: UCC3809 gets power on VDD upon power on and not when the relay closes (2-3 seconds after power on). When power on i get 0.7V on the gate out for a split second....
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by sententia; 06-18-2016, 02:33 AM.

Comment

I wonder if the unit can actually detect that the supply output is shorted? The error message is probably just telling you that you have no output.

No output from the drive IC would disable the whole supply. There should be at least a few pulses from pin 6 at power up. If not, the IC is either toasted or missing an input. Seems like the oscillator (3,4) should run even if the supply isn't working. Soft start on pin 2 would be my next choice. Pin 2 should ramp up during power on. Feedback isn't needed to start the IC.
                            Is it plugged in?

Comment

Thanks Longbow for the input!

Unfortunately i don't have the charger anymore as i had to return it, so i can not perform any more tests....

I do agree with you that it probably detects no voltage on the output and gives that error. However it does have another error E2 that indicates "Output fuse blown", but i think the has to be an output in order to get to that error....

The charger has a stand alone circuit for powering the microprocessor, cooling fan and possibly the UCC3809??

I think that i might have got a reading of 0.7V on my dmm upon switching on the device but i am not sure if i remember correctly.

Anyway that driver is definitely a suspect for the problem but i think it can only be tested by replacing the IC.

Thanks again!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Had same thouble today.
                                One winding of small pulse transformer was broken by corrosion.
                                Solved.

Comment

hello guys i have a problem my charger is missing the component i have marked in your pic is it possible for you to read the nr on it and share it? brgds

Comment

pic
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                      I've got the same problem - E1 in SBC ADV+ 501FR!
                                      If somebody has the schema of this charger, I'll be appreciated to send it.
                                      RGDS

Comment

Working...
                                      X