Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 Plasma No Picture, Has Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 Plasma No Picture, Has Sound?

Hi!

Recently after a thunderstorm my Philips plasma television has stopped working. When I plug in the TV, there is no red standby light and no standby mode it seems. When I turn on the TV, a blue light appears in the front, along with sound, but no picture! It's also worth noting that there are 4 visible green lights inside the panel. (attached)

I replaced the capacitors for this TV over two years ago, so I opened up the panel and tried testing out the voltages for every board. I did not notice any burnt capacitors, although I can provide more pictures if needed. Attached is a photo of the TV along with the voltages I tried to test.

Searching this forum, some other users had the same problem, but solved it by replacing burnt capacitors. Would replacing the power supply board fix the problem? Also, I'm afraid the problem isn't the capacitors but one of the main boards and I might resort to trashing the television for parts if it costs more than $200 to repair.

Thank you!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by philips; 09-01-2012, 06:48 PM.

Re: 50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 Plasma No Picture, Has Sound?

The main power supply sounds good but meter all the voltages out to check (voltages look to be above the p/s on the right hand side). The main (input) board would be the one controlling standby and "on" but also could be due to a stuck relay. Does it click when you plug it in?

Since you did say you checked voltages, I would check fuses especially in the y section of the tv (but also check the x). I can't see if there are any or know particularly about this tv, but check for the smd and most likely ceramic type.

Oh, and where were the capacitors that you replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by drpj23 View Post
      The main power supply sounds good but meter all the voltages out to check (voltages look to be above the p/s on the right hand side). The main (input) board would be the one controlling standby and "on" but also could be due to a stuck relay. Does it click when you plug it in?

Since you did say you checked voltages, I would check fuses especially in the y section of the tv (but also check the x). I can't see if there are any or know particularly about this tv, but check for the smd and most likely ceramic type.

Oh, and where were the capacitors that you replaced?
      Thanks for the the response! I'm not sure how to read the voltage chart (attached) but I don't think I'm getting the correct voltage readings. When I plug in the TV, it clicks once and the green indicator lights turn on.

All the fuses seem to be normal and don't appear to be burnt out. Although, I found some capacitors that MAY appear to be abnormal (attached). The capacitors that were replaced 2 years ago were on the main power supply (also attached).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by philips; 09-02-2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

can you post a top down picture of the caps on the power supply?

**EDIT**
        The green caps on the sustains "appear" normal looking.
        Last edited by Mr Bill; 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
          can you post a top down picture of the caps on the power supply?
          Sure thing.

Would it be worth it to replace each capacitor on the power supply board to see if it fixes the problem?
          Attached Files

Comment

The replaced caps are Panasonic, which is good, but they are NHG series - unsuited for a power supply application. Who replaced them? They could fail, but they would normally bulge (for a good brand.)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              The replaced caps are Panasonic, which is good, but they are NHG series - unsuited for a power supply application. Who replaced them? They could fail, but they would normally bulge (for a good brand.)
              They were replaced by a local TV repair shop a while back (I lost their number) however I found the same capacitors online for $15 total to replace.

I think this may be the culprit of a failed capacitor (tell me if I'm wrong), but there is not much/if any visible bulging. Also, the 2 capacitors in the top right also seem abnormal.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by philips; 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Those caps look normal but it's hard to tell without the board being in front of me. What is the panel model? The 4 green led's you mentioned in post #1, do all 4 stay lit up when you turn the tv on?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bill View Post
                  Those caps look normal but it's hard to tell without the board being in front of me. What is the panel model? The 4 green led's you mentioned in post #1, do all 4 stay lit up when you turn the tv on?
                  There are 6 actual LEDs that light up as soon as the TV is plugged in. When I turn off the TV via power button, all the LEDs turn off except for the one on the power supply board.

When I plug in the TV it clicks once and turns on, instead of initiating standby mode. It seems the standby mode isn't working as the front indicator light on the TV always stays blue.

The panel is a Samsung PDP Module (Model: 50HW-YB02)

I tried using this troubleshooting guide but couldn't really follow it: http://www.scribd.com/doc/94596083/S...2hd-Mustang-Sm (page 41)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by philips; 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I -really- don't like how those caps are done; it looks like instead of sourcing the right caps, they have bodged several together. Consider removing the power supply and checking their solder quality.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Have you looked at this file in your searches?
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have a few questions about this same model TV. I picked it up "broken" for $30.....Owner said it was getting some blink code...I didn't even check it for that....I just took it apart....It was obviously from a smoking home...smelled and was just filthy inside.

So I used air compressor to clean out and I took off the power board first...and checked all the caps with my 88a. All looked ok. Checked the 4 or 5 fuses on all the boards....and one came back dead....the first time I checked it...but when I decided to check one more time my meter beeped an all is well.....

So I decided to put it all back together...and check the blink code.

When I did...It fired right up.

Its been running for 2 days now....and about 4 movies worth.

Could it have simply been overheating due to the crude covering its insides? Should I check anything else or just be happy with it and forget the problems it was having?

and what do you think the selling price point for this set should be at this time?

HACK

Comment

Steelhack, my guess is that the crude coverings were not per se the actual issue but because of it, you had A LOT of dust right? Which may have made a connection unintended (seen it (well with computers not with a tv yet)). The fact that it would not come on (assuming) afterwards kinda makes me disagree with the heat thing (unless the heat affected something but it's working so.... lol) .....but resale would be in my opinion between $3-400. But keep checking to be sure

Comment

Originally posted by drpj23 View Post
                            but resale would be in my opinion between $3-400.
                            Some observations.

At my local Canadian Bestbuy, I can get a 50 inch LCD 1080p TV for $500 with a one year warranty.

In addition, with Black Friday coming up soon in the USA, and Boxing Day in Canada, I expect to see even more price drops in the 50 inch TV space.

Costco also provides a 2 year standard warranty on TVs and some credit card companies will double the warranty up to 1 year.
                            Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-03-2012, 10:44 PM.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I had a 42" LG plasma to repair which was brought down by dust, symptom no picture good sound. Cause a nice flash-over on one of the components. Cleaned it out and it worked perfectly... well apart from another fault (got it to show a picture but with the common "sparklies" issue) but the dust was a definite problem.

Comment

hello all noob here. here is my situation. i have the 50". a few months ago im watching tv and all of a sudden my tv looses picture and sound. So I hop on the internet, do some research and find out this is a common problem for this philips model. Next, I find the service manual online and use that to open the back of the tv. Once I do that, I call shopjimmy. shopjimmy sales alot of parts for this particular model. I call them and one of the techs for 45 mins helps me diagnose my tv. After doing alot of voltage testing, it is confirmed that the y board is bad. So i order the new y board, then install it. Once I install it, I got my sound and picture back. Well sorta. The picture for some reason is coming in real snowy. anyhow, I put the tv service alignment mode(SAM)(062596+info). Once I did this is was able to read the error codes. I only had one error code which was 046. 046 error code review description is Pacific 3 which results in standby. Pacific 3(Pac 3) is located on the AL Inter-connect board. The inter-connect board is for picture enhancement. So I ordered this to and replaced it. After I got the new inter-connect board and installed it, the picture was still snowy. So then I called shopjimmy back again and talked to another tech. I told him what the problem was and he suggested that it sounded like the y board I ordered may be defective althoug it was a new board. So, I sent the board back and they sent me another new y board. I installed it and STILL the same snowy picture. And thats where im stuck at now. Anyone know what it could be? Do i have to recallibrate the tv after installation of the new boards? Also, I have attached a couple pictures of the snowy picture im getting. I have a gut feeling it something small and simple. Thanks in advance guys!!!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mrdetroit View Post
                                  hello all noob here. here is my situation. i have the 50". a few months ago im watching tv and all of a sudden my tv looses picture and sound. So I hop on the internet, do some research and find out this is a common problem for this philips model. Next, I find the service manual online and use that to open the back of the tv. Once I do that, I call shopjimmy. shopjimmy sales alot of parts for this particular model. I call them and one of the techs for 45 mins helps me diagnose my tv. After doing alot of voltage testing, it is confirmed that the y board is bad. So i order the new y board, then install it. Once I install it, I got my sound and picture back. Well sorta. The picture for some reason is coming in real snowy. anyhow, I put the tv service alignment mode(SAM)(062596+info). Once I did this is was able to read the error codes. I only had one error code which was 046. 046 error code review description is Pacific 3 which results in standby. Pacific 3(Pac 3) is located on the AL Inter-connect board. The inter-connect board is for picture enhancement. So I ordered this to and replaced it. After I got the new inter-connect board and installed it, the picture was still snowy. So then I called shopjimmy back again and talked to another tech. I told him what the problem was and he suggested that it sounded like the y board I ordered may be defective althoug it was a new board. So, I sent the board back and they sent me another new y board. I installed it and STILL the same snowy picture. And thats where im stuck at now. Anyone know what it could be? Do i have to recallibrate the tv after installation of the new boards? Also, I have attached a couple pictures of the snowy picture im getting. I have a gut feeling it something small and simple. Thanks in advance guys!!!
                                  Samsung Panel and boards. The most common failure is YSUS and upper buffer. It's the buffer that usually takes out the Y. Pretty brave replacing just a dead YSUS without the buffers.

Did the Shopjimmy dude get you to test the buffer boards as part of the fault finding?

Comment

No the BOTH techs did not but I swear i thought the same thing and im not even a tech. lol. because I saw the upper buffers are connected to the ysus i just replaced and it looks like thats connected to the lcd display to give it the picture. So let me ask this, how I test to see which buffer board is bad? or should I just replace both?

Thanks sooooo much for your quick response friend!

Comment

You are looking at an X-main failure there I think. It's the board opposite the Y-main.

Comment

tom66,

I dont think its the x-main board because the shop jimmy guy walked me through doing voltage testing on the board. It seemed to be fine but I could test it again to be sure. Any suggestions as to what areas I should test?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                        X