X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by Hemingray View Post
    All caps in this thing are branded "SWCON". Don't see any other brands in here
    I saw the "SWCON" primary caps, then I saw what looks like possibly rebadged JEE caps on the secondary, IIRC.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-05-2019, 10:21 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
      Doesn't look too bad, though very "90s"...
      IMHO, that looks very 2000s to me. Looks like a typical early-2000s' shit PSU.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

That "Duro" might be good for 200W: wimpy input bridge rectifiers; 330uF input lytics; lightweight heatsinks; small main output transformer; small output inductor. Somewhere around 200W-250W it would probably become a combo PSU-nightlight ... briefly.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
          Doesn't look too bad, though very "90s"...
          Haha, very funny
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

This PSU comes from a satellite decoder, from one day to the next, the decoder stopped turning on, and the PSU was chirping, I opened it and found this:

Primary:
            IC switch: DK120 (max output 12v, 1A)
            photocoupler: 817c
            Main capacitor: 400v 10 microfarads YZJ (LED series) (the IC manufacturer recommends 22 microfarads)
            VCC capacitor (supplies VCC the IC DK120): KSJ 16V 100 microfarads
            1 capacitor Y
            Transformer 12v 1A TA rev. A
            Secondary Output:
            1 schottky diode sr3100
            1 capacitor KSJ 16v 470 microfarads (bad)
            1 inductor 10UH
            1 capacitor 16v 220 microfarads (requires a 470 microfarad capacitor)

In the end I replaced the PSU with a better one.
            It lacks a zener diode (there is no voltage stabilizer), capacitors of smaller capacity than DK recommends for good operation.
            Terrible PSU.
            The only thing that is good is the PFC winding.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kevin!; 02-06-2019, 04:08 PM.
            Gaming pc:
            nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
            Workshop PC:
            Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
            Server:

Comment

That power supply looks similar to some bare board 12v 1.5a/5v 2a PSUs you can find on eBay.
              I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                That power supply looks similar to some bare board 12v 1.5a/5v 2a PSUs you can find on eBay.
                They did not know that the boards were sold separately, thanks .
                What I see very often, are those cases of Chinese PSU of poor quality ebay, when I see one I always think there will be inside those crap xD.
                The case I am referring to is like the one in this photo:

I always replace those PSUs with better quality 12v 1A PSUs that I recycle from older routers, which are usually much better.
                Gaming pc:
                Workshop PC:
                Server:

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                  That "Duro" might be good for 200W:
                  I don't know about that.
                  Maybe I am too conservative... but considering the 5V rail rectifier is only good for 20 Amps and the 12V "rectifier" (3 Amp diodes on a bracket) might do 4 Amps with a bit of overheating... that's 148 Watts total on the main rails. I don't count the 3.3V rail, because it's linearly-regulated from the 5V rail. So any current that the 3.3V rail uses will be current that has to go through the 5V rectifier as well.

Now if we add the minor rails... that's 12W from the -12V rail (probably top at 1 Amp) and 10W from the 5VSB (2 Amps, if even that). This brings the total to 170 Watts.

On the other hand, it's good that this PSU has a wimpy secondary side. At least then an output rectifier can short and make the PSU shut down "gracefully" rather than have the primary side blow up and take out who knows what.

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                  This PSU comes from a satellite decoder
                  Terrible PSU.
                  Eh. Not that terrible. For 1 Amp output, it's actually OK. It's got an offline switch IC (something considered a commodity among cheapo no-name power adapters), a proper Y2-class cap between primary and secondary (most cheap units use a regular 1kV ceramic ), a FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER! (who else here is an Electroboom fan? ), and a CM input choke.
                  With good caps, that PSU will do its rated output power all day just fine. Maybe even good for 1.5 Amps with bigger output caps.

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                  The only thing that is good is the PFC winding.
                  That's not a PFC winding. That's a common-mode choke to reduce EMI/RFI going into and out of the adapter.
                  Last edited by momaka; 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

OEM'd by Hercules (that PSU sticker looks awfully similar to the Hercules PSUs, except somebody slapped DURO on them) so should pretty much tell you it's bottom of the barrel crap.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      I don't know about that.
                      Maybe I am too conservative... but considering the 5V rail rectifier is only good for 20 Amps and the 12V "rectifier" (3 Amp diodes on a bracket) might do 4 Amps with a bit of overheating... that's 148 Watts total on the main rails. I don't count the 3.3V rail, because it's linearly-regulated from the 5V rail. So any current that the 3.3V rail uses will be current that has to go through the 5V rectifier as well.

Now if we add the minor rails... that's 12W from the -12V rail (probably top at 1 Amp) and 10W from the 5VSB (2 Amps, if even that). This brings the total to 170 Watts.

On the other hand, it's good that this PSU has a wimpy secondary side. At least then an output rectifier can short and make the PSU shut down "gracefully" rather than have the primary side blow up and take out who knows what.

Eh. Not that terrible. For 1 Amp output, it's actually OK. It's got an offline switch IC (something considered a commodity among cheapo no-name power adapters), a proper Y2-class cap between primary and secondary (most cheap units use a regular 1kV ceramic ), a FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER! (who else here is an Electroboom fan? ), and a CM input choke.
                      With good caps, that PSU will do its rated output power all day just fine. Maybe even good for 1.5 Amps with bigger output caps.

That's not a PFC winding. That's a common-mode choke to reduce EMI/RFI going into and out of the adapter.
                      Thanks for the correction, I will try to improve the PSU.
                      I will add the missing zener diode, the missing polyester capacitors in the AC input, and replace the capacitors.
                      Gaming pc:
                      Workshop PC:
                      Server:

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        OEM'd by Hercules (that PSU sticker looks awfully similar to the Hercules PSUs, except somebody slapped DURO on them) so should pretty much tell you it's bottom of the barrel crap.
                        Looked like a Linkworld, but good to know Hercules liked overrating their +12V rails by a crapload too. The fan in this thing isn't even worth squat.

Comment

The only Hercules PSUs i've seen have been relabelled late 90s early 2000s FSP PSUs.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                            The only Hercules PSUs i've seen have been relabelled late 90s early 2000s FSP PSUs.
                            Not quite. See kc8adu's post on a newer Hercules PSU.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=83

Exact PCB as the DURO.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Exact PCB as the DURO.
                              If I read your second sentence correctly, it reminds me of what Leadman did.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Exact PCB as the DURO.
                                Almost looks like the same SWCON craps in there too.

Comment

Raidmax RD-350W

Raidmax RD-350W. 300w PC Power Supply.
                                  Pulled this from a PC that i saved from being thrown out.
                                  Label.....

Very simple looking label. (Almost like the power supply)
                                  Top Side.......

As you can see, most of the "unnecessary" extra parts have been removed to save money.
                                  Bottom side...........

For the most part, the soldering looks decent, except in a few areas.
                                  Primary side..............

The X class capacitor is missing, however, there is a space for at least one.
                                  In place of the Y class capacitors are two general purpose 2KV ceramic capacitors.
                                  The rectifier consists of 2 RL207's and 2 1N5408's
                                  The switching transistors are 2 E13007-2's and the 5VSB transistor is a 2N608.
                                  The primary caps are 2 JEE 680uf 200v (both test near 500uf).
                                  Secondary side...................

The 3.3v rail uses a 40N03P as a rectifier and a single JEE LOW ESR 1000uf 10v with no PI coil.
                                  The 12v rail uses a F12C20 as a rectifier and a single JEE LOW ESR 1000uf 16v capacitor after a big PI coil.
                                  The 5v rail uses a S30D40C as a rectifier and 1 SC LOW ESR 1000uf 10v capacitor before the PI coil and 2 JEE LOW ESR 1000uf 10v capacitors after a PI coil.
                                  The 5VSB rail uses a 1N5844 as a rectifier and 1 SC LOW ESR 470uf 16v capacitor before a PI coil and 1 JEE LOW ESR 470uf 10v capacitor after the coil.
                                  The -12v rail has a single JEE LOW ESR 470uf 16v capacitor after a small PI coil and the -5V rail has a single JEE LOW ESR 470uf 10v capacitor after a PI coil.
                                  And the fan.......................................

Just some generic fan.
                                  Overall this thing is pretty crappy but i'll keep it around since it's modifiable with all the extra spaces.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

The generic-junk "Y" caps were pretty obvious to me too. What are they, 1000pF or 470pF?

There's no way in Hades that thing could ever sustain 350W for more than milliseconds. That said, the things that limit it to somewhere around 200W are probably the input rectifiers, the MJE13007 clone switching transistors, and that less than substantial output inductor. The main transformer might also by wimpy, and those output wires remind me of Clara Peller's famous line. The fan is a POS, and the common mode inductor looks pretty minimal.

The heatsinks seem to have a bit of substance - maybe OK to 250W. The switching transistors, TL494 clone PWM and -26 material output inductor core mean the switch frequency is probably in the 20-30 KHz range. The +5V and +3.3V output rectifiers are downright beefy. OTOH, the +12V rectifier seems to be rated for 12A while the PSU rates the 12V output at 14A.

Multiple swollen output caps, and the rest are probably in poor condition. The input caps are probably true 560uF parts with 680uF wrappers. Assuming they aren't in the process of croaking.

Replace all the crappy parts - the bad, the missing, and the wimpy - and it might be an OK 250W PSU
                                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Depends. I have one unit similar to that and it sports a EI-40 transformer.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Ok, my late father-in-law collected "stuff"(The only way to think of it). We started with two sheds full and ever since he passed(in '10) once a month I go grab something and see what I can get out of it. Dirt, insect's, etc, etc are just the beginning. Most of the time I can get a decent amount of componets or even get it working. I don't think I'll get much from this one.

I present the "King Star" KC-250 ATX power supply. First picture has the written specs:
                                        +5V 25A
                                        +12V 10A
                                        +5VSB 1A
                                        +3.3V 14A
                                        -12V 1A
                                        -5V 0.5A
                                        It has a UL listing, but I can guarantee it's fake.

Next up the input. The main thing that I noticed is that the input choke(red and white wire) looks like it is wound with telephone wiring. It has to get hot. The input caps are Capex. The "Y" caps are 1KV common ceramics, NOT safety caps. The three semiconductors on the high side are
                                        1 x C3866 900V 3A
                                        2 x C4106 400V 7A

As far as isolation go, there are two narrow slits and nothing else. No opticouplers or feedback transformers. From tracing back from the KIA339 (quad voltage comparators) it looks like NO isolation.
                                        The large transformer is a KL-EE-33 and the two smaller ones are KL-EE-16A/B's.
                                        It looks like controlling this thing is a combination of a KIA494P PWM controller and a KIA339 quad comp.

On the output we have the following semiconductors:
                                        1 x 7805 5V power regulator
                                        1 x CEP6060 60V 42A MosFET
                                        1 x Home made dual diode(take a look at the last picture)
                                        1 x S16C40 40V 16A Schottky Diode`
                                        Output caps are a combo of Feltec and Capex 105 degree caps. Output filters are two vertical inductors and a bifilar wound torrid.

I don't know what this things max safe output was, but I can't imagine it being 250 watts.
                                        I looked everywhere and could not find a model number on the PCB, only the standard fuse warning.

I think this thing definitely belongs here...
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by ae7oo; 06-02-2019, 06:12 PM.
                                        Cthulhu for President!
                                        Why vote for the lessor of two evils?

Comment

They don't make them like that any more! (or do they?)
                                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X