Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*** Class Action Lawsuit Against Abit ***

http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=40744

"You are a member of the proposed Settlement class (the "Class"), if you are within the United States and you purchased one of the following specified Abit Motherboard models during the period January 1, 1999 to the present: BE6, BE6II, BF6, BX-133, KA7, KA7-100, SE6, VH6, VH6II, VH6T, VP6, KT7-RAID, KT7A, KT7A-RAID, VL6, VT6X4, SA6R, AND BX133-RAID. However, the Settlement Class shall not include any persons or entities purchasing Abit Motherboards for resale purposes. To view a detailed Notice of Pendency of Class Action and Proposed Settlement"

http://www.abitsettlement.com/notice.php3

!! Heads up !!

MD
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

well spotted dude.

"A Settlement has been reached in the Litigation between the Representative Plaintiff and Abit"

INTERESTING BIT No1 : The Settlement provides that Abit will repair or replace the capacitors on the affected models at no cost to the purchaser.

INTERESTING BIT No2 : For those members of the Class who have incurred direct out-of-pocket expenses in connection with the repair of a motherboard affected by a capacitor failure, Abit will reimburse such Class Members for the cost of repairs, parts, labor, and handling charges in connection with repairing affected capacitors, provided such costs are
    reasonable and verifiable.

SO you get either Abit to repair your board or you get TC to repair your board and Abit will pay for it :o :o :evil:

It is a reasonable settlement but a refund of the purchase cost of the board would have been much better. There is no mention of the quality of capacitors that would be installed by abit. ABIT got off lightly anyway. it is a pity it was ABIT though, they took good action to specify rubycon on all their new boards.

So congratulations MR. ERIC SCHONNING who organised the class action. Now lets see you take on MSI.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I'd like to see them try with Hsing Tech..PCChips / Amptron / Protac / Aristo / Minstaple / Eurone / Matsonic / ECS et al...

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

abit's use of rubycon everywhere is getting spotty, been getting in shipments of KV7's, some with all rubycons, some with an unknown cap, will try to get a picture sometime.

got in some SG-72's today with G-Luxon on them :P

Comment

damn they are getting sloppy. i guess we are back in business

Comment

i got the info about it in my mail today. and am considering just having them replace the caps because i get a two year warrranty.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
              It is a reasonable settlement but a refund of the purchase cost of the board would have been much better. There is no mention of the quality of capacitors that would be installed by abit. ABIT got off lightly anyway. it is a pity it was ABIT though, they took good action to specify rubycon on all their new boards.

Why not just replace the boards with a new model? After the cost of shipping, unpacking, repairing, repacking and shipping the board back to the customer they will be spending at least as much as it would cost THEM to send a new board to the customer. If it were up to me I would just send new boards out and save the cost on labor for repairing the board. Of course companies have some 'principle' they base their decisions on to justify screwing people. It is these kinds of actions that make me think they look at the bad capacitors as a guaranteed way to sell new motherboards several years down the road.

Comment

Stickied.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

anyone notice the bp6 is not listed?
                  imho one of the worst offenders.

Comment

My BP6 went into the PCB shredder at work...anyone need a spare bios IC...LOL

MD

Comment

After the cost of shipping, unpacking, repairing, repacking and shipping the board back to the customer they will be spending at least as much as it would cost THEM to send a new board to the customer.
                      an interesting point but i would have to disagree. A well organised company would not have excess production and therefore would not have a lot of old stock in order to supply new boards of the full range to customers. New boards could be made but the cost of setting up a production line for a short run of a large range of boards would not be cost effective.

all the reworking and handling of the RTMs could be subcontracted and perhaps even the costs are covered by Abit's insurance but who knows.

one item which companies are very careful about is setting a precedent in the courts which would put them in a bad position for future claims : a new board or a refund on the purchase price would not be a good precedent for the motherboard manufacturers.

considering the terms of the settlement it appears that the class action was done more to make a point than win a huge settlement. who knows how the case progressed or how the settlement was negotiated

i wonder how many people actually will take advantage of the settlement.

Comment

What I meant is send a new, as in current model, motherboard. I know why they don't do it and I disagree with it. Companies spend as much, if not more, fighting stuff like this than it would cost them to take care of their customers in the first place.

I have an Abit KT7A-Raid. My experience with them over the problems with that board finished me off with Abit. For their cost in the production of the board they could have kept a customer. Instead they chose to send me through RMA hell with the dealer, which refused to take care of the problem because Abit wouldn't reimburse them for the bad boards. I finally got them to allow me to RMA the board, which they sent me a bad board that was sent to them because they thought there was a chance I may not have a problem. Got another board that was bad, wouldn't boot up. Three RMA's to Abit later I gave up and purchased the Epox board. I will not buy Abit boards and I will not work on unstable computers that have Abit boards, and I'm not the only one that feels this way about Abit.

PC Chips/ECS will RMA their crappy boards with less trouble than Abit.

The last KT7A sent to me from Abit is still in the box, never used. I took the chipset fan off it a year ago to replace the fan on this computer.

Comment

yeh it should have been in the settlement to have the option to have a new current board. i think some of the claimants would want their old comp to be back in action though and not have to pay for new cpu/ram/psu etc.

much easier to repair the board yourself than rma. this problem is not going away so it is good to learn how to recap.

Comment

Re: *** Class Action Lawsuit Against Abit ***

Originally posted by Bh420
                            i got the info about it in my mail today. and am considering just having them replace the caps because i get a two year warrranty.

Scott
                            Seems like alot of trouble if everything is working fine.
                            I have 2 boards included: BE-6 which is working just fine with no apparent cap problems and an SA6 which Abit recapped in 2003.
                            The SA6 is not on their list only SA6R but Abit did repair it back in 03, I think they made me pay for the shipping to them, I don't remember.

Comment

I just got a bunch of paperwork in the mail asking if I wished to participate in the class action suit, and to list all boards I've had go bad. That'll be a LONG list!! HAHAHAA I might participate for a couple free boards, I know I have a cooked KT7-RAID and a VP6 laying around that don't work. Anyone else get these?
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

funny to meet the people whose boards i repaired in the street. they never fail to say, "that computer is still working" ABIT boards were good for rework, i think anybody can repair them good. some good caps and that board is good for years, even if i was in US, class action does not interest.

Comment

Has the settlement plan gone into action yet? My mobo has been down for about 8 months now. After months of repeated messages to the 800 # on the abitsettlement site I finally got a call back and they told me it hadn't been implemented yet. Meanwhile my desktop is just collecting dust and I'm wondering if I should just scrap it and build a new one.

Comment

In the amount of time it takes for Abit to get with it, you'd probably be better off to get TopCat to recap it for you...

PS guys

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...22_105112.html

Abit to migrate half of its capacity to ECS by end of October

September 22, 2005 - 10:51 EST

Abit Computer plans to migrate half of its motherboard capacity, mostly entry-level production, to Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) by the end of October, according to the company. Production of Abit's high-end segment will continue to be manufactured at its Suzhou plant in China before agreements with new contract makers are reached, said the company.
                                    Actually nothing new, several Abit boards share a common PCB with ECS/PCChips...in fact the bios for either board will work on the other IIRC...

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                                      Actually nothing new, several Abit boards share a common PCB with ECS/PCChips...in fact the bios for either board will work on the other IIRC...
                                      Which?

Comment

http://www.msisettlement.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X