X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    Can you find anything wrong with it?
    I see a garbage PSU and a taped up wire for the exhaust fan....but I do think I spy a few bad caps, but I can't tell from the low-grade pictures.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I see a garbage PSU and a taped up wire for the exhaust fan....but I do think I spy a few bad caps, but I can't tell from the low-grade pictures.
      Bingo. "Switching Power Supply" is a pretty creative name to hide the "LC-B400ATX" model from . I traced the wire and apparently it goes to a molex adapter, so somehow the PSU might not be that butchered.

And yes, for the record, I did manage to find a bad KZG on the GPU, which is a MSI FX5600.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

^
        Interesting case design though....never seen one like that.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

^
          Interesting case design though....never seen one like that.
          I know.

This is a case built by JNC and ANS, two Deer/Allied/L&C/Solytech subsidiaries. They were pretty common in Europe, Russia, Moldova and Ukraine.

They generally have an code punched on the inside (at least in the case of JNC, as for ANS I have to do some research for now) so you can enter up the code (it's punched on the inside of the bezel usually, along with a table marked with the week and year when it was made) and find out what case you have.

Codes:

RJA - standard ATX size, 440x212x500 mm. RJA - Hxxx variants replace the normal metal roof with one that has a handle mounted, these are pretty cool

4JA - slightly larger than RJA, this was called the "XXL" variant of the RJA. For some reason the 4JA option isn't listed on their website (only RJA,HJA,WJA and a few others) but can be found through google

SJA - the most gutless variant, best to be avoided. It's nearly a "one piece" case, as one of the sidepanels is actually riveted in place and morphed into the chassis - it is used for mounting the motherboard actually.

The case in the pictures is actually a 4JA-8652T, although it has white panels and chassis.

As for their PSUs, the quality varies. I've seen some pretty gutless units with paper thin heatsinks and D.o.a.B for 12v, but I've also seen some pretty decent units with thick heatsinks that usually have a 10A fast recovery for 12v and 30A for 3.3 and 5v.

They're becoming pretty scarce though, as the most common cases at the time were KME branded, although Deer/JNC/ANS were a close second.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Both AM37's are good. Recapped and alive... I don't think I'd really build a system on these, but I did get them working....just because their souls would be sad if I didn't.
            Lol.
            Well, they are good boards, so why not. Besides, in 10 years they might actually be worth even more.
            If you have some GeForce 4 video cards to go with those boards, expect their price to jump quite a bit.

The Biostar works like a charm, now that's a good candidate for a retro rig....Biostar's site has drivers all the way back to win98 for this board.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1513560153
            Indeed it will. Plus, you're not going to find bright-red motherboards like this anymore. Paired with a red Radeon video card from that era, it would look pretty kick-ass in a beige or silver case.

Trusty old XP....Win7 would probably shit a big turd on this single core slowpoke...
            No doubt.
            Windows 7 really only starts to shine on newer multi-core CPUs. Even on a dual-core, XP could have an advantage if it's a very early dual-core model.

Can you find anything wrong with it?
            Well, TC beat me to it (was having issue with BCN today being slow here for some reason)... but yeah: crappy PSU, some wire hacks, and maybe a few bad caps (I know MSI loves to use Teapo throughout the board, mingled with a few KZGs). Other than that, it looks okay. The restrictive fan grille on the back of the case really bothers me though. I have a similar (but cheaper) Deer case with those grilles, and it's comical how restrictive they are - they block almost the entire airflow from the fan.
            Good to see the case has some front USB ports, though. Too many of my beige cases don't, and it can be a bit of an annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

Well, TC beat me to it (was having issue with BCN today being slow here for some reason)... but yeah: crappy PSU, some wire hacks, and maybe a few bad caps (I know MSI loves to use Teapo throughout the board, mingled with a few KZGs). Other than that, it looks okay. The restrictive fan grille on the back of the case really bothers me though. I have a similar (but cheaper) Deer case with those grilles, and it's comical how restrictive they are - they block almost the entire airflow from the fan.
              Good to see the case has some front USB ports, though. Too many of my beige cases don't, and it can be a bit of an annoyance.
              Just got it today.

Apparently the PSU's been replaced with another (in)famous cheap PSU - Floston FL450. Only two 13007s and a IC for the 5vSB, so maybe this isn't a half bridge configuration? Anyways, not really worth it since there are no spots for PI coils on the secondary. Didn't unscrew the fan to see who made it, but it's some generic fan very likely,80mm.

The case fan is basically some random 80mm fan from a PSU (it only has two wires, red and black, no yellow) with a molex splitter. Nothing to worry about, since it's so noisy I left it disconnected.

Other than that, not much to say. ODD is a GCC-4481B CD-RW\DVD-ROM drive, and the HDD is a 80GB Maxtor (IDE) that I've been told it has an XP install on it. There are two bad caps - one is a Nichicon HM near the PCI slots (funny since most of the caps, bar the CPU caps, are Teapos) and the other is a KZG on the FX5600 GPU.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Apparently the PSU's been replaced with another (in)famous cheap PSU - Floston FL450. Only two 13007s and a IC for the 5vSB, so maybe this isn't a half bridge configuration?
                Nah. Two BJTs is pretty much guaranteed to be a half-bridge. The IC for the 5VSB is a completely separate circuit / power supply, so it's irrelevant what it uses.

Anyways, not really worth it since there are no spots for PI coils on the secondary.
                Lol, that usually tells me enough.

There are two bad caps - one is a Nichicon HM near the PCI slots (funny since most of the caps, bar the CPU caps, are Teapos) and the other is a KZG on the FX5600 GPU.
                What's the date code on that Nichicon HM? Late 2003 (H03xx) or 2004 (H04xx)... or 2005 (H05xx) maybe? I'm just curious. If your board has any other Nichicon HM caps, they are all likely to go bad in the same way then.

Also, I'm going to guess the KZG cap on the FX5600 was a 6.3V/1500 uF in a 10x13 mm can? At least from experience, those are the ones that I see bad most often, or perhaps second most often after the infamous 6.3V/3300 uF KZGs often used on CPU output. Both of these are replace-on-sight for me, though. Then there are the 6.3V/820 uF KZG in 8x13 mm can size - known bulgers, especially if you leave the computer unused on the shelf for a long time. They just love to fizzle on their own.

Comment

What's the date code on that Nichicon HM? Late 2003 (H03xx) or 2004 (H04xx)... or 2005 (H05xx) maybe? I'm just curious. If your board has any other Nichicon HM caps, they are all likely to go bad in the same way then.
                  It's a 2004 datecode HM. There's only two HMs on the board anyways, the rest of the board is Teapo. It's going to be recapped with Rubycons anyways.
                  Also, I'm going to guess the KZG cap on the FX5600 was a 6.3V/1500 uF in a 10x13 mm can? At least from experience, those are the ones that I see bad most often, or perhaps second most often after the infamous 6.3V/3300 uF KZGs often used on CPU output. Both of these are replace-on-sight for me, though. Then there are the 6.3V/820 uF KZG in 8x13 mm can size - known bulgers, especially if you leave the computer unused on the shelf for a long time. They just love to fizzle on their own.
                  Yeah,it is a 10x13mm can KZG. It's really close to the heatsink though.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

A couple years ago I sent all my old dialup modems to the recycler (probably about 100 of them)....well some knob gave me a big box full of them today....ranging from 8-bit ISA 14.4's up through PCIe 56k's... I never even knew a PCIe modem even existed! That box will get sent to the recycler as well....but sometimes you have to take one for the team if there is a good item in the box. It also contained 2x GeForce4 TI 4600 128mb AGP cards, and a SB Live.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

remove any flash chips first,
                      you can use them for old mobo bioses.

those old 29f020's etc are very handy.

Comment

Scored 4 MBs for $15:

ABIT IP35 Pro - won't POST, will show 8.4. POST code then play some low tone beep, with or without RAM - searched POST code and it says DDR voltage ready?

Gigabyte EP31-DS3L - perfectly fine aside from a dead CMOS battery - would reportedly not POST - put a E7600 in it and a 7300GS and it POST'd. Currently using it in my main PC although replaced just the GPU with my main R7 240 2GB PCI-E from Sapphire.

ECS G41T-M7 - no idea about this one - wouldn't beep, but NB,SB, SuperIO and CPU do warm up. It's in the parts bin though - I don't have any DDR3 and ECS is crap in general. (although there are some small exceptions)

MSI P6N SLI V2 - don't know what's with this one either - it won't power up when I short the PWR_BTN pins together. It had 7 KZJs near the ATX connector and three more around the CPU high side - replaced 4 of the KZJs near the ATX connector and no dice, same behaviour.

Any ideas for the IP35 and the P6N SLi V2?
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Welp, OK. 2006 Pontiac Grand AM, 94,000 ODO (not rolled back, I checked) for the cost of paperwork (~$200) and a fuel pump/filter ($135). Actual value: $3,008.50.
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

well that's this thread closed, nobody will beat that!!!!

Comment

2003* Fuck dyslexia.
                              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                Welp, OK. 2006 Pontiac Grand AM, 94,000 ODO (not rolled back, I checked) for the cost of paperwork (~$200) and a fuel pump/filter ($135). Actual value: $3,008.50.
                                My "most prized" find:

Personal Reader

$7 for the "CPU" and another $7 for the scanner. Two separate lots at a local auction. I was the only person present who knew what they were -- and that they belonged together despite being on opposite ends of the room!) so got both for the minimum bid ($7).

Here is it in use

And, it's predecessor (the CPU is on the bottom, hand-built scanner on top, keyboard on table to the left and canine companion to the right ) I've given up hope of ever finding one to add to my collection. And, the "data cassette" storage medium (tape reader visible in front of CPU) was so flaky that I'm sure I'd never be able to find a viable program image from which to boot!

Amusing to have witnessed, first hand, such a huge advance in technology! You can do the same thing with an app on your phone, nowadays. By contrast, the "Personal Reader" was about $20K (microprocessor based with a TMS320 DSP in the dedicated speech synthesizer), the "Reading Machine" before it was $50K (a Nova II minicomputer with magnetic CORE memory and a Votrax analog speech synthesizer).

Sad to see so much of this technology being lost/discarded.
                                Last edited by Curious.George; 12-22-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                  Nice!
                                  Even if it's a 2003, like you mentioned later - that's still a killer deal! Any well-running car for less than $500 is just a steal. There are baby stroller's worth more than that , and as far as I know, none of them come with an engine, heating/AC, windows, or even a rear-view mirror.

I never even knew a PCIe modem even existed!
                                  Lol, me too up until about last Spring, when I saw a late 2016 PC model roll through the shop with a factory 56k PCI-E modem.

It's sad to think there are still places in the US that use 56k. Even most 3rd world African countries usually have better internet... or if not, they at least have good cell coverage and/or 2G/3G/4G networks.

"Cell phone currency" is actually quite common in some very poor African countries with high inflation and bad internet connectivity. Almost like Paypal on your phone, but simpler and more effective.

That box will get sent to the recycler as well....but sometimes you have to take one for the team if there is a good item in the box. It also contained 2x GeForce4 TI 4600 128mb AGP cards, and a SB Live.
                                  Well, don't complain now. A GeForce 4 TI 4600 is worth $50 minimum on eBay right now. I just saw a TI 4400 end for $45 the other day. Some people are asking even more crazy sums for the TI 4600's - like $100... but I don't think those will sell at that price (or not yet, at least). I keep on the lookout for those GF 4 TI cards, in case I find one for cheap with bad caps, like my Leadtek WinFast A250 (TI 4400), which I managed to grab for a mere $13 with shipping. Even the slower TI 4200 boogers go for quite a bit.

Funny, because a Radeon 9500/9700 and 9600 are all better cards and cheaper. But nVidia just seem to have made a name for themselves. Also, the 9500/9700, 9600, and 9800 cards all eventually tend to go bad with artifacts, whereas the GF 4 shouldn't, as they are built on older technology (non-flip-chip).

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  remove any flash chips first,
                                  you can use them for old mobo bioses.

those old 29f020's etc are very handy.
                                  Yeah, I was going to say... even those modems have to be useful for some parts. I have accumulated a small shipping box full of those as well (mostly PCI, but also one PCI-E lately). Nothing that I would need... but maybe someday I might need the parts from one? (Or is that a typical hoarder's process of thinking? )

Scored 4 MBs for $15:

ABIT IP35 Pro - won't POST, will show 8.4. POST code then play some low tone beep, with or without RAM - searched POST code and it says DDR voltage ready?
                                  So perhaps whatever POST step comes after the DDR voltage test, that's what it's getting stuck at. Did you test all of the voltage rails on the board? Besides the CPU V_core, Northbridge/Southbridge, and DDR V_dimm, there is also the DDR Vtt (usually 1/2 of the DDR voltage), CPU Vtt, and a few other linear 3.3V, 2.5V, and 1.8V rails.

ECS G41T-M7 - no idea about this one - wouldn't beep, but NB,SB, SuperIO and CPU do warm up. It's in the parts bin though - I don't have any DDR3 and ECS is crap in general. (although there are some small exceptions)
                                  Wait 'till you get some then. ECS is not that crap - not more than OEM (crippled) ASUS and MSI boards anyways.

MSI P6N SLI V2 - don't know what's with this one either - it won't power up when I short the PWR_BTN pins together. It had 7 KZJs near the ATX connector and three more around the CPU high side - replaced 4 of the KZJs near the ATX connector and no dice, same behaviour.
                                  Check all standby rails. There should be a 3.3V standby rail going to the SuperIO and possibly Ethernet chip. Some boards will also have 2.5V, 1.8V, and 1.5V, in addition to the 3.3V standby. While at it, also check the ethernet chip to see if it overheats (or remove it altogether to be on the safe side). Bad CPU socket BGA and/or pins can also cause a no-post behavior with Intel CPUs. Same with missing CMOS battery on certain newer OEM motherboards.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 12-22-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

So perhaps whatever POST step comes after the DDR voltage test, that's what it's getting stuck at. Did you test all of the voltage rails on the board? Besides the CPU V_core, Northbridge/Southbridge, and DDR V_dimm, there is also the DDR Vtt (usually 1/2 of the DDR voltage), CPU Vtt, and a few other linear 3.3V, 2.5V, and 1.8V rails.
                                    Actually it always gets stuck at 8.4. I should add though, that after it gets stuck there, it plays the "NO VIDEO" beep although in a much lower tone, and will constantly reset after that.

Check all standby rails. There should be a 3.3V standby rail going to the SuperIO and possibly Ethernet chip. Some boards will also have 2.5V, 1.8V, and 1.5V, in addition to the 3.3V standby. While at it, also check the ethernet chip to see if it overheats (or remove it altogether to be on the safe side). Bad CPU socket BGA and/or pins can also cause a no-post behavior with Intel CPUs. Same with missing CMOS battery on certain newer OEM motherboards.
                                    Checked every chip (SIO and Ethernet) to see if they heat up. They're stone cold.

Also it's not the case that it doesn't POST on the MSI. It won't turn on at all, although it will light up the 5vSB LED.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

This week free scores :

1 - Canon bjc-55 , bubble jet printer , fully working , with its original adapter , but an almost done battery . This one has drivers for XP , but i will test it on win 7 , not bad , as its initial release was 339$ .

2 - One National Panasonic Tablet like 11 Inch' , i'm not sure , fully working , if i can fix the power inlet , lol , I hate this job ..

3 - One Lenovo Tablet , with the same problem above ..

4 - One Sony vaio vgn core2 duo , not working .. First tests reveal that the LCD isn't the obvious problem , but the integrated Ati VGA , with vertical lines on LCD .
                                      Anyway , and finally , on Alibaba , there are chipsets available , but you must purchase a quantity ... We'll see about ..

5 - One Toshiba A300 , with bios defect and random related errors ..

6 - lot of different cables and car to adapters ..

Comment

Today's free stuff:

Biswal KC-DAA/PX-500 ""500W"" PSU - pretty obvious it's a KeyMouse unit of the PX series - makes for a good 250W PSU for a office PC once I add the PI coils and main filtering.

Intel D845WN - i845 board, SDRAM. Didn't get it to POST yet, although removing RAM will result in "no RAM" POST beeps. Will have to search for my old Samsung and Transcend PC133 RAM sticks though, as these might work. (SDRAM boards were always picky about my RAM sticks to begin with and most of the times only these two Samsung and Transcend sticks would work) Otherwise it had 4 bad Nichicon HM, 2001 datecode, probably caused both by the bad batch formula and the PSU to begin with.

JVC/LiteON LTD-163 DVD-ROM

TEAC CD-ROM drive

Gigabyte GA-7N400E - has some rosin-like stuff on the underside of the PCB that I couldn't remove. Otherwise will POST, but the MCP gets quite hot within the first seconds of powering the board up. Pretty fussy about RAM, so far I only got it to POST with a 128MB Kingston KVR RAM, but will see what other RAM I have that might POST.

ASUS P4P800 - there's smoke smell all over the board, but not the cigar kind of smoke smell. As funny as it sounds, it's a distinct kind of smoke smell. Rev2 board by the way, and "3com Marvell" NIC. Quite fussy about dual channel, otherwise it POSTs with most of my RAM sticks, save for a few sticks that are crap to begin with.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Hi, I've found a Philips P5040 Wordprocesor but only the cpu no monitor and keyboard, and no system disks the worst part is that it works. It beeps once powewered on and beeps again when I pull the leber of the floppy drivers like inserting a disk. So It's hard for me to disasemble it for parts, because it works... and only the case is in bad shape, some rust here and there.
                                          Does anybody know something about it? I know in the USA it was sold as the Philips P3004.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X