Antec 480W "NEO" PSU with Fuhjyyu caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antec 480W "NEO" PSU with Fuhjyyu caps

Yeah - Antec's moving away from Channel Well as an OEM and going with Seasonic for their newer models. Cheaper Seasonic though, using lots of OST and Teapo.

Meanwhile, Thermaltake picked up Channel Well and is getting them to use Samxon in the Toughpower series.

Comment

Are you sure you're not confusing "RMA" with "Recall?"

If you RMA your PSU because of a bunch of swollen caps, I'm sure they're smart enough to know that more of the same isn't going to make you happy. Obviously you're PSU is in an environment where another one just like the first is only going to end up doing the same thing.

A recall would mean a press release and an official, "if you have XXX model PSU, swollen caps or not, please email Antec at...."

Besides, for the massive failures to constitute a recall, the failure rate would have to be deep in the double digits with some other components taken out in the wake for good measure.
      Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Just wanted to add that I recapped one of these successfully that was full of 10v Fuhjyyu leaking caps. The caps inside were the same sizes and capacity as the ones in the Antec 380 (that I also recapped).

Comment

Well I have to bring this topic back to life again, because my good old Antec Neo 480 died due to shitty Fuhjyyu capacitors. I found some nice Panasonic FM series to make the replacement.

The thing is that the R117 doesn't look very healthy. I've tried Antec's customer service support but they were very unsupportive (I wouldn't say stupid but...). :P

I really need to know if it is a 1.8k or 1.9k resistor and if it could be replaced by something bigger like a 5w ceramic resistor or something like that.

Resistor and caps photos -> Click here.

PCB model is CWT-XXXEX Rev: B

Main Caps to replace: 2x 1000uf 10v, 2x 2200uf 16v, 3x 3300uf 10v, 1x 4700uf 10v, and some others too.

Thanks!!

Comment

Send CWT an email and tell them you have a CWT-480EX revision B... they might help you with that. Worth a shot anyway.

Comment

R117 is 1k8 2w metal-oxide.
              i'd use a 3w but make sure it's metal-oxide.
              never wirewound / ceramic.

it's exactly the same as the smart-power series uses.

Comment

I had problem with a similar resistor in my antec true power 2.0 380 watt. It's in the same place as yours from what I can see in the photo you uploaded.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8223 3rd post

Comment

Thanks guys i'm going to recap and tell you the results.

Comment

The following is somewhat continued from this post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...712#post101712 but more related to this article.

It's been a crazy day: I replaced the capacitors on my stuffed k8nsnxp motherboard (see link above) - which enabled the machine to boot but the computer was still was having subtle instabilities towards the end of the day (crashing, windows just disappearing with no error messages). The next thing I thought I'd check out was the Antec Neo 480W power supply. When I opened the unit, ALL of the fuhjyyu capacitors on the secondary side of the PSU were leaking gunk - and not just a small amount like the nichicons on my motherboard, but big piles of orange crap. I have discarded the PSU. It has now been replaced with a Seasonic S12.

The weirdest thing happened when I started the machine. I have 12cm fans on my case with a speed control switch, over the last year I have been bumping these switches higher and higher as the fans would not start spinning on the lower speeds - I just presumed they were dying as most fans do in my environment. When I switched on the system with the new power supply, these fans were roaring and I was able to put the speed control switches back down to the minimum setting. This would indicate that the Antec's 12V rail had actually been dropping very significantly over the past year - at the very least by a volt or two. I wonder if this is perhaps why the capacitors on my motherboard were failing in the first place?

Unrelated and just for interest, even after replacing the PSU, the system was still unstable and after hours of testing RAM with memtest86 with no error and me being certain that RAM was the problem, I think I've found that my primary hard drive had bad sectors and the system crashes were related swap space becoming corrupted... It's almost made me believe that this computer just wasn't meant to still be working :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas.appleton
                      The following is somewhat continued from this post: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...712#post101712 but more related to this article.

It's been a crazy day: I replaced the capacitors on my stuffed k8nsnxp motherboard (see link above) - which enabled the machine to boot but the computer was still was having subtle instabilities towards the end of the day (crashing, windows just disappearing with no error messages). The next thing I thought I'd check out was the Antec Neo 480W power supply. When I opened the unit, ALL of the fuhjyyu capacitors on the secondary side of the PSU were leaking gunk - and not just a small amount like the nichicons on my motherboard, but big piles of orange crap. I have discarded the PSU. It has now been replaced with a Seasonic S12.

The weirdest thing happened when I started the machine. I have 12cm fans on my case with a speed control switch, over the last year I have been bumping these switches higher and higher as the fans would not start spinning on the lower speeds - I just presumed they were dying as most fans do in my environment. When I switched on the system with the new power supply, these fans were roaring and I was able to put the speed control switches back down to the minimum setting. This would indicate that the Antec's 12V rail had actually been dropping very significantly over the past year - at the very least by a volt or two. I wonder if this is perhaps why the capacitors on my motherboard were failing in the first place?

Unrelated and just for interest, even after replacing the PSU, the system was still unstable and after hours of testing RAM with memtest86 with no error and me being certain that RAM was the problem, I think I've found that my primary hard drive had bad sectors and the system crashes were related swap space becoming corrupted... It's almost made me believe that this computer just wasn't meant to still be working :-)
                      The hard drive probably died because of the psu. Thanks Fuhjyyu!

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                        The hard drive probably died because of the psu. Thanks Fuhjyyu!
                        But it wouldn't have killed the motherbaord caps (although it may have sped up their death). I often see nichicon HM and HN go bad even with a good PSU.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                          Time came a week or so ago

The caps that control the switching chip (I think) had started to vent... The caps on the secondary side for 12v, 5v and 3,3v where fine though, of course all got replaced...

With Samxon caps, thanks Big Pope!

The vented caps are the two blurry ones in the middle top of the pic...
                          I got a little nostalgic over Taz's post here so I'm posting an update

In my original recap 7.5 years ago I did not swap out the small caps, 1uF > 220uF
                          Because of this back in November last year the PSU failed to turn on.
                          So I replaced those, and I also replaced resistor R117 that was severely burnt up as you can see in the pictures. I used Elfa partno: 60-549-62
                          Let's see if it lasts another 7.5 years now

Attached Files
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                          X