Cloning PIC chip 16C72A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning PIC chip 16C72A

Hello I am trying to repair a monster HTS 3600 mkII surge protector. I already know that one of the PIC chips is bad or corrupt. From what I can tell, this PIC controls the display, dimming, and possibly other features which are unknown to me at this point. All the outputs seem to be working as well as the remote input. I have another HTS 3600 that is working fine. My question is if I purchase a new chip (16C72A) and used a PIC programmer to read the chip from my good unit and write the code to the new PIC? Basically just cloning it. My concerns are I would hate to damage or corrupt the code on the good chip while trying to read it. I am also aware that the PIC might be protected to where I cannot read it at all or even worse, if there is some kind of fuse programmed in to blow or corrupt it if one tries to read it.

Any thoughts?

Re: Cloning PIC chip 16C72A

You can try to read it, but usually it will read all blank or zeros if it's protected.

I think most companies will turn on protection so chances of a good read are very low.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
      You can try to read it, but usually it will read all blank or zeros if it's protected.

I think most companies will turn on protection so chances of a good read are very low.
      What is the likelihood that the chip has some kind of fuse setting to self destruct if a read is attempted?

By the way, I plan on using a K150 programmer to read it if that helps. I know it's not the greatest programmer out there but was hoping it may suit my needs for this project.
      Last edited by mitsu2k; 01-24-2023, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I would see how the factory programmed the PIC. Sometimes it's preprogrammed and then soldered in, or it has pads/header for programming on the main board you can connect to.
        There is no self-destruct in a '72A other than the problem of powering the IC - by the programmer or the surge protector doing it. Make sure the IC is not hazardous live, see if the circuitry is isolated from mains to prevent killing the programmer.
        If the software is straightforward (it's only 2KB) and the product is nothing as far as technology goes, I have seen the code-protect bit not set on a few products.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
          I would see how the factory programmed the PIC. Sometimes it's preprogrammed and then soldered in, or it has pads/header for programming on the main board you can connect to.
          There is no self-destruct in a '72A other than the problem of powering the IC - by the programmer or the surge protector doing it. Make sure the IC is not hazardous live, see if the circuitry is isolated from mains to prevent killing the programmer.
          If the software is straightforward (it's only 2KB) and the product is nothing as far as technology goes, I have seen the code-protect bit not set on a few products.
          Wow that's good info. The chip is not soldered. It is removeable as it is plugged into a socket so its is easily removed to place in a programmer. Attached is a photo. My biggest fear is somehow messing up my good one trying to read it. But if it's pretty safe, I'm going to try. Are there any other things I should be aware of or be careful of?

P.S. The reason I knew the model of chip is I removed the sticker from another one.
          Attached Files

Comment

if you have not worked with pic's before,
            there are 3 area's to read.
            main-flash,
            eeprom
            and fuses

dont overlook the fuses because they set things like the clock settings

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              if you have not worked with pic's before,
              there are 3 area's to read.
              main-flash,
              eeprom
              and fuses

dont overlook the fuses because they set things like the clock settings
              Thank you. On the DIY K150 program, I see there is a read button and a Fuses button. How exactly do I read the 3 areas?

Comment

i have no idea - i'v never heard of a k150
                got a link?

most people use a pickit2/3 because the clones are soo cheap, or they buy a TL866-II+ < dont buy that btw,
                it's beed discontinued and replaced by the T48 for the same price!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  i have no idea - i'v never heard of a k150
                  got a link?

most people use a pickit2/3 because the clones are soo cheap, or they buy a TL866-II+ < dont buy that btw,
                  it's beed discontinued and replaced by the T48 for the same price!
                  Do you know where I can get a pickit2/3 at a decent price?

Sorry here is a demo link
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F8n1tQf4hw

Here is a link to the software
                  https://www.bristolwatch.com/k150/K150.rar
                  Last edited by mitsu2k; 01-25-2023, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Update: Well, I received the programmer and attempted to read the chip but the results came back all 0s. Looks like it is protected. Guess I’m out of luck. Darnit!

Comment

Working...
                    X