X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old OC rig suggestions

Originally posted by gerg View Post
    too much memory for a 32 bit os?

really i have nothing but time to keep guessing tonight...
    it has the capability but no. keep in mind that anything socket a is 32 bit.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

socket a wanna water cool i could go through my junk pile and see if i still have my old dangerden setup maze 4 block and a z chipset block lol

I am running out of guesses

Comment

Originally posted by gerg View Post
        socket a wanna water cool i could go through my junk pile and see if i still have my old dangerden setup maze 4 block and a z chipset block lol

I am running out of guesses
        I suggest you look up the wikipedia page on XP editions. there is a large hint there.
        sigpic

Comment

Dual CPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
            Dual CPUs?
            you have been awarded a virtual cookie.

you can now guess the brand, and model. the brand's name is also a term used in electronics.
            sigpic

Comment

crap. recapped the psu, still dead.

the manual tot he board says it needs at least a 400W psu, and my only other spare unit is a 300W delta.

suggestions?
              sigpic

Comment

Use the Delta! Since when does a mobo have a wattage rating, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  Use the Delta! Since when does a mobo have a wattage rating, lol!
                  dualies tend to.

just like graphics cards do.

to prove the point, I i will reveal that the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW

manual attached.

off topic- the manual as a lot of engrish in it...

still looking for advice on the psu issue.

Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

FYI- the 400w bit isn't in the manual, but in the FAQ on GB's site:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...id=466&pid=995

sigpic

Comment

It's BS I think... how much amperage you got on the +12V, -12V, +5, and +3.3?

Comment

well, a datasheet on my psu:

the psu label says

12v 15A
                        5v 30A
                        3.3v 16A
                        -12v 0.8A
                        5vsb 2A
                        -5v 0.3A
                        sigpic

Comment

Meh just use it until you find a better one. It's a Delta, so it can probably do a little more than 300w anyway...

Comment

Very nice board there!

Like shovenose, I too have to raise the BS flag on the wattage rating that they gave on the FAQ, it's just unrealistic.

I see a AUX 12v connector on the motherboard, so that means the CPU VRM is powered from the 12v rail, which in turn means you need a PSU with a stronger 12v rail. Either way, you I'm sure you won't need a 400W PSU. Just look up the TDP or Maximum Power Dissipation rating of each CPU on cpuworld, then multiply that by 1.3 (assuming an unrealistically low 70% efficiency for the VRM) and then by 2 (since you have 2 CPUs). That will give you a rough estimate of the wattage you need on the 12v rail.

Okay, I just looked at all of the Athlon MP CPUs, and the highest Maximum Power Dissipitation I saw was 66 Watts. Using the numbers above, that gives you 171.6 Watts peak for the 12v rail just for the CPUs, which comes out to 14.3 Amps peak. And of course, that's only if your CPUs are the ones that use 66 Watts. The Athlon MP 2400+ are rated to dissipate 60W max, so that's 156W on the 12v rail, or 13A.
                            Last edited by momaka; 11-18-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

i ran some calcs and in my initial single cpu setup, the 300W will work. for the final dual setup, I will need some more juice.

that assumes that i keep the graphics card, which is an nvidia geforce 5200fx.
                              sigpic

Comment

It will struggle with a dual CPU. It has too much current on the 5v rail and not enough on the 12V rail. That board may be a socket A, but it does have an ATX12V connector. If you were in Aus, you could have my thermaltake TR2 Bronze 600W.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XPS-700-710-...item35b6be0c53 looks like it would be goof for the money. It looks like it might be standard ATX but you never know with Dell

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seasonic-550...item1c20d16c01 That one is a bit more expensive, but also looks good.

EDIT, your Delta may be OK for a single CPU.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

so i assume a hipro made 250W unit i have from a p4 based dell is a no either. I'll check the specs on it.

edit- aside form the the 300w, all my spare PSUs are 14A or less. damn.
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 11-19-2011, 12:04 AM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

fixed the 600W

noob over here had some primary side solder bridges (had to remove the primary HS to install a couple caps). fixed that, problem solved.

I feel so dumb right now...

Last edited by ratdude747; 11-19-2011, 01:44 AM.
                                    sigpic

Comment

good news: I got the board and recapped it. haven't had time to test.

bad news: the ****ing board doesn't fit the case at all.. 1cm ish too long and the tall registered memory conflicts with the hdd cage...

any suggestions on good but cheap used case brands with front USB headers? I don't need a sound header, as my board has no such header... but it does have a frount usb header and forn usb acess would be nice.

on a side note, I have matched coolers... went to a university surplus store and found a bunch of NOS aluminum vantec socket a coolers for $5 a pop... I grabbed 2 and braided the fan cables... now all i need are a couple of athon MPs... and a case that fits
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                        Since when does a mobo have a wattage rating, lol!
                                        They do. - It's just impossible to find it.
                                        All the traces on the board have amp limits.
                                        That includes the ones going to the PSU connectors.
                                        Also all the MOSFETs and IC's and so forth have TDP ratings - or something equivalent.
                                        You -can- add it all up if you care to.
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-30-2011, 02:10 AM.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

BTW, the NOS coolers were theese:

http://www.vantecusa.com/gl/product/view_detail/135

they were new in box, never used. good deal for $5/cooler and no shipping?
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X