X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The GOOD Capacitors Thread!!

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
    I seem to be developing faith in Taicon electrolytics, since most of the series were the same (and some comparable) to the Nichicon units.
    On a 9-year old board, none of the Taicon units were bulging...
    Taicon is hit or miss. I've seen motherboards where every Taicon on the thing was bulged. So, unfortunately, it's not a reliable brand.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
      I'd consider Elna a maybe. IMO, Nichicon, United (Nippon) Chemicon, Rubycon, and Panasonic/Matsushita are the top tier miniature lytic mfrs. And Sanyo for their OSCONs (I haven't used their lytics). Elna, Illinois Capacitor, and maybe Teapo would be second tier. The rest of the usual suspects are scary except in really low stress applications.
      Teapos do last quite a while at lower temperatures and stress though. I have many Hipro PSU's (DELL OEM) with Teapo caps and never had a problem so far. They're decent quality, but not the best out there.

Comment

I'd consider Elna a maybe. IMO, Nichicon, United (Nippon) Chemicon, Rubycon, and Panasonic/Matsushita are the top tier miniature lytic mfrs. And Sanyo for their OSCONs (I haven't used their lytics). Elna, Illinois Capacitor, and maybe Teapo would be second tier. The rest of the usual suspects are scary except in really low stress applications.
        Elnas are good, but since they aren't use as much as many of the other Japanese brands, it's hard to know...because you don't experience as many widespread failures.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
          Elnas are good, but since they aren't use as much as many of the other Japanese brands, it's hard to know...because you don't experience as many widespread failures.
          Elna is good but their marketing targets audiophool type things and because of that they cost more than other options.
          Their cost is why you don't see them much in IT type things.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
            Elna is good but their marketing targets audiophool type things and because of that they cost more than other options.
            Their cost is why you don't see them much in IT type things.
            I actually have a few old computers with ELNA capacitors in the riser cards. They're very good!

But yeah, a lot of their caps are marketed towards audio.

I'd say ELNA is better than nichicon, but presumably overpriced. Of course, rubycon trumps them all --> though I've got some 30-year old sanyos in my old analog equipment that's getting along just fine

Comment

Elna better than Nichicon? In specialty capacitors, maybe. In low impedance, high ripple current and long life capacitors? I highly doubt it. I don't know how many years ago I posted what is quoted above, but I'll stay with it. Rubycon may be a bit better on the low impedance high ripple current types; Nichicon and UCC may be a bit stronger on the high voltage, very long life electronic ballast types.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Elna better than Nichicon? In specialty capacitors, maybe. In low impedance, high ripple current and long life capacitors? I highly doubt it. I don't know how many years ago I posted what is quoted above, but I'll stay with it. Rubycon may be a bit better on the low impedance high ripple current types; Nichicon and UCC may be a bit stronger on the high voltage, very long life electronic ballast types.
                Absolutely, the ELNA caps in my computers are over 15 years old!

A lot of nichicons I've seen always seem to get puffy at their vents a little bit. Not always the case, but very frequent (same with chemicon).

Whereas ELNA is a lot more consistent with quality, I think.

Comment

That reflects well on what Elna produced 15 years ago. I've worked in power electronics since 1980, and with a few noteworthy exceptions (the Nichicon HMs and HNs in that defective 2003-2004 batch and more recently, NCC/UCC KZG and KZJ) Nichicon and NCC/UCC have been the standard for comparison, and Rubycon and Panasonic are of the same class. My very limited experience with Elna - 20 years ago - was not good. But that was 20 years ago. As others have pointed out, commit a design error or misuse the part, and the very best cap out there will fail quickly.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Here's few pics in support for ELNA quality, from 36 year old amplifier. Haven't measured them (yet) but still going strong with no bulging or serious voltage leaking.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OniJon View Post
                      Here's few pics in support for ELNA quality, from 36 year old amplifier. Haven't measured them (yet) but still going strong with no bulging or serious voltage leaking.
                      Cool.

I got a pair of big 24000uF 80v ELNA capacitors too. They are still good!
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by OniJon View Post
                        thats because back then they weren't made in china and the company didn't do any serious budget cuts
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Elna caps are still good I think.

Comment

Uranium, you gotta get rid of that avatar...everytime I see it think I have a bug on my screen.

Comment

It seems Mallory is highly regarded but I rarely see these nowadays. Just a lot of old ones when they used to be their own company. Same with Sprague. (Both these brands were bought by Vishay?)
                              Any comments about Illinois Capacitor - I still see these once in a while, just not frequently. I haven't seen any of these blow up at least, but ESR? I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                It seems Mallory is highly regarded but I rarely see these nowadays.
                                I had a bunch of NOS Mallory caps way way back in the early days of Badcaps.net (2001~2002) that I bought real cheap. I haven't had any since....
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                Team : 49813
                                Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

The old Mallory caps were good, but the new ones are resleeved Teapos.

Comment

Look at these babies. Operated many years for a solar installation as a 120V pure sine inverter. Why it is open, is the switching relay finally failed through magnetism of the contacts, causing >single cycle transfer blinking lamps when switching off grid power.

Edit, that goo at the base is hot glue. The entire board is comformally coated, as well.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Nichicon HE caps look decent would you guys agree?

Comment

Responded on your other thread.
                                        PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by rrick View Post
                                          Look at these babies. Operated many years for a solar installation as a 120V pure sine inverter. Why it is open, is the switching relay finally failed through magnetism of the contacts, causing >single cycle transfer blinking lamps when switching off grid power.

Edit, that goo at the base is hot glue. The entire board is comformally coated, as well.
                                          Those must be oooold, or they might be custom. The nichicon GU datasheet says they are white on black sleeve. I am not suspecting fakes at all, just, what is their capacitance and voltage rating?
                                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                          X