Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Caps (little help please)

Hi,

This is my first post on this website. I have a problem with my sparkle 8800GT VGA. Two caps are broken en they are also leaking. On the caps are showing some numbers.

Shown on the cap: FZ7C 1000 16V

I think that I need to replace these broken caps with new 1000uf 16V caps. Is this correct?

I have also another question: what means Ripple Current (for example 1240mA). When you take for example three caps from different manufacturers with the same properties (1000uf 16V), they have all a different ripple current. Is this something to consider when I am buying caps.

I was thinking to order these caps. Are these OK?
    http://be02.rs-online.com/web/search...0571656#header

My broken caps:
    Attached Files

Re: Bad Caps (little help please)

Oh nice job by sparkle, putting those craptastic caps right in the HSF output. Dur! Those are the infamous Sacon FZ. There are numerous threads here about how much they suck. For applications like this, you want to get capacitors with ripple current rated equal to or higher than the originals. You should measure the busted caps that are in there, things like diameter, height, lead spacing, etc. They look to me like they're probably 8mm diameter, but the board is screened and drilled for 10mm caps too, so the 10mm replacements you've selected should work fine. The empty area in the bottom corner looks like it's screened for a 4th cap like these. And since you have to order them in a set of 5, it makes sense. Here's what I would do: replace the 3 that are there, fire it up, measure the voltage here to make sure it's actually the same as the others (probably 12v), and then add the 4th. This will improve the reliability should something happen, and will reduce the stress on the caps, extending the lifetime of the card. Be sure to post back with progress and results, and 'after' pictures. Good luck!

Comment

Ive done some research, it seems the blown caps may be Sacon FZ series. Rated 1800mA ripple, 0.022 impedance. I'd use a Samxon GD or GC series, Rubycon MBZ.. Seem to exceed those specs. Though I would suspect the card may be dead anyway.
      Last edited by Colt45ws; 02-20-2010, 08:21 PM.

Comment

OK, when I looked I couldn't find any specs on the FZ series, but if they really are (supposedly) rated for 1800mA of ripple, then even 4 of the Panasonics you've picked out won't work. Something you might want to consider is doing a poly mod on the card. You could get 4 of these https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=78 and install them. The general rule of thumb with polymer capacitors is that you only need about 1/2 the capacitance of regular electrolytics. Four 330uF caps would give you 1320uF, which is about half of the 3000uF originals, so you're good there. I don't know the exact specs for those caps, but generally poly caps have ripple ratings of 3000-6000mA, which is just awesome. These would long outlive the usefulness of the card.

Comment

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...399c7317de.pdf
          When I loaded it, Adobe wanted to download a Chinese Language pack for some reason, even though its in English.
          Last edited by Colt45ws; 02-21-2010, 01:35 AM.

Comment

don't forget to check under that shield/cover to make sure that there are no bad caps under that too..

Comment

The caps on my 8800GT have these specs:

Diameter: 10 mm
              Height: 12 mm
              Space between the two connections: 5 mm

So after reading all these excellent help on this topic I think I know what to order.

I need 1000uf 16V 1800mA ripple current. What if I take caps with lower or higher ripple current? Is this harmfull for my VGA?

So I can use these caps: http://www.phenos.nl/Elco/FZ%20Series.pdf

The VGA is still working, but I have taken it out of my PC to fix it first and use it later (otherwise maybe my VGA will be broken). I will post the pictures of the repair, but it can take a while.

Under the cooling of the VGA are no more broken caps.

Comment

So it is also better for my VGA to add an extra cap on the empty space on the VGA to extend the life of my VGA? So putting 4 caps instead of 3 is better. If so, I can use for this fourth cap also a 1000uf 16V 1800mA cap?

Comment

Assuming that the empty spot is indeed in parallel with the ones already there, then yes, it will be beneficial to add a 4th cap.

The 1800mA number is the maximum ripple current that the cap can safely handle. Using caps rated less will work, but they will just go bad again, like these did. You should try to find caps with higher ripple current capacity. Definitely DO NOT use more Sacon FZ series. These are perhaps THE worst caps EVER, they never last very long, and then barf their insides all over.

I would recommend these: http://be02.rs-online.com/web/search...duct&R=5261266
                  They're actually cheaper than the FK series you found, and have a higher ripple current rating. They'll just fine for this application, and should make your card happy for a good long time.
                  Last edited by etnietering; 02-21-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the excellent help. I will try to fix the bad caps and post the photos on this forum.

Comment

Today I had a little time and I was trying to solder the new caps on the videocard (picture above). I have a ersa soldering iron of 40 watt. The problem is that the soldering on the videocard (on the caps) won't melt. I have tried with a small tip and with a chisel shape tip but the solder won't melt. I think that the solder on the videocard is not usual solder. Videocard: Saphire 8800 GT 512 mb. How can i melt the solder.

Comment

Might be because the solder is lead-free. Still, a 40 watt iron should be able to do it. Try adding a little bit of [non-lead-free] solder to the tip of the iron before you desolder each cap.

Comment

It's probably lead-free solder which melts at a higher temperature.
                          A 60 watt iron would make the job easier.

A 1000uF 16v FZ is 1800-ripple and .022-ESR
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Flow some fresh solder in when heating the leads to remove the old cap. The fresh solder will make the existing solder flow easily, should be a snap with a 40w iron.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

I have successful removed all caps (with putting a little fresh solder). But I have now another problem. I have a desolder pump, but with this solder (lead free) it won't work. The solder cools so fast (after heating with the soldering iron) that I cannot suck the solder when it's liquid because it's only liquid for a few miliseconds when I remove the solder iron. Is desolder lead a better way to remove the solder?

Comment

Heat with tip of iron in hole on one side.
                                Gently push a large stainless steel needle through hole from other side as the solder melts.
                                It will clear the hole very well once you get it down.

!!!!! - Use/make a handle - the needle is gonna get HOT.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Can you update how this worked for you did you complete the work, and did the card work after your repair? I have the sparkle 9600 and my caps are gone aswell and I would like to know what caps you replaced with, cause mine are 1000uf 16v but say FZ7A, so please give an update Thanks.

Comment

You have the same FZ series caps.
                                    The "7A" is just a date code.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Working...
                                    X