Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Repair Fence Energizer SS-1000E Fi-Shock

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
    would running it transformer out of circuit cause damage ? like nowhere for the energy to go to ?
    These transformers aren't like a flyback. More like an ignition coil. They are pulsed to both drive the transformer, and give time to clear "load" (a cow, goat, horse, grass, etc). They are normally run open, but that neon tube does clamp some of the larger pulses.

On a side note: They run resonate at 10-15 Khz if you ever find one and want to make it into an HV transformer, but submerge it in oil if you do.
    Last edited by goontron; 06-21-2018, 05:42 PM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

if the 360Ω resistors still heats up with the transformer disconnected, only thing that could be causing it is a shorted main filter cap...?

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        if the 360Ω resistors still heats up with the transformer disconnected, only thing that could be causing it is a shorted main filter cap...?
        Or the Diodes. But if they are gone that cap is damaged also.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

unlikely that running without a load will damage the transformer, i'v seen people test tv outputs with the anode cable in a jam-jar!!!

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
            Or the Diodes. But if they are gone that cap is damaged also.
            "shorted main filter cap" would that be the huge 400V Capacitor ? I am too scared of that huge cap..? or is that the smaller cap 25v, which is now 50v.

It may take a few days to get time to attempt fixing it, will take all that into account and provide new data at that time. I have also smaller diodes, so might replace the original/big ones. anyways, i may just order bunch of parts and replace some of them..

resistors definitely heated without the coil, and going forward i'm limiting testing to 10-20 seconds max until that is clear, so will need to take parts off circuit and re-test them.

Thanks again.
            Stormy

Comment

^ Yep. The big bastard.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Posting the updated schematic.

You could test this with a series light-bulb, to limit current and give some indication of current draw. With the transformer disconnected, the only load that could heat up the power resistors is that big motor starting cap. It might be breaking down at high voltages.
                Attached Files

Comment

Guardian angles, I may have time tomorrow, I'm so scared of that big guy, but will deal with it.. question, assuming I PULL the 2 diodes OFF circuit , to test them. now energize the board with no load/coil connected, the resistors should NOT heat up, and if they do, then they are BAD/low quality? I'm trying to find ways to debug why they over heat, but definitely i need more time to work and report back.. so far i'm not seeing any cows or horses running loose, so i got a bit time. Farmer says that once they see it working, for a week or so they'll not touch the fence

Comment

With the transformer disconnected, the only way to heat those resistors is with a short across the large capacitor, nothing else will do it. except maybe 2 leaky/shorted diodes but they would both need to be bad at the same time.
                    It's the cap.
                    Last edited by R_J; 06-22-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

OK, took some time to test/measure, all tests were done without Load/COIL as follows:

Test1: Pull 400v/16uF large capacitor OFF circuit (pull cable) and energize the board. that came OK, no heat even after 3 minutes.

Test2: Connect 400v/16uF to board, energize the board within 5 seconds the resistors become super HOT to touch, Immediately cut power!!

Test3: pull both diodes out of circuit, energize board, resistors do not get hot

Measured components as follows:

Measure1: on-circuit both resistors show exactly as 360 Ohm. when board energized both resistors get 230VAC to them.

Measure2: Off-circuit large capacitor shows as 16uF (see photo) also, ESR 0.01 (very low).

Measure3: 1N5408 diodes show resistance of 70K Ohm vs 10M Ohm (other direction) and 80K Ohm vs 360K Ohm. Testing other diodes from other boards, it seems the other direction should be infinity so, maybe both diodes are (partly?) bad after all???

The 1N5408 described here:
                      have 1000V/700V RMS/3.0A.

I'll try to energize with the spare 2A diodes and see if resistors get hot, either way I'll find new 1000V/3A diodes soon.

Thanks for any tips, looks like the big guy gets to stay for now since diodes are suspects

Stormy.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by stormy1777; 06-24-2018, 04:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

yeah, diodes seem like they've seen better days. Even vacuum tube diodes have near infinite reverse resistance.

Now what caused the diodes to go bad... Better make sure the big cap didn't go leaky...

Comment

[RE-RESOLVED]: Repair Fence Energizer SS-1000E Fi-Shock

Hi there!!
                          Maybe we can say Miracles do happen!!? Looking in pile of unopened parts, found these new diode strip, within 3 minutes the unit is back working, now ticking every second or so, and giving very good ZAPS, more sparky than before!

Left it running for 20 min, and resistors were COLD...

Lets see what the farm animals will think up this time around

This was a joyful and fun learning experience!

Thanks for the absolutely AMAZING encouragement ("dark humor"??) and thorough knowledge.. it came in very handy!!

If the big capacitor is leaky? Not sure how to test for that, time will tell maybe..

See photos of proof the unit is working, you can see the new diodes, new resistors as well as NEON lighting up.

Maybe lessons learned, when one resistor burns change the other, and when diode is "weak" change both I'll try to remember that

Thanks again.

Stormy
                          Attached Files

Comment

BTW, when we say that capacitor is leaky, we mean EPR or effective parallel resistance, not ESR. Simply use a regular ohmmeter (DC ohmmeter, not AC ohmmeter which is used for ESR) with the probes in the right direction and wait for the capacitor to charge up, the/all capacitor/capacitors should eventually show up as infinite resistance.

Comment

And y'all were second guessin' the guy who lives in the cowboy state

This ain't my first rodeo, padner!
                              Last edited by goontron; 06-24-2018, 05:48 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

i dont know if its those series diodes ..if its parallel i match the vf . not sure when in series if it matters .. thinking it might do .. be good to know if anyone knows .

Comment

don't need to match if in series, just like LEDs. However if dealing with reverse voltage they may need to be treated like capacitors and deal with the leak caused by the balancing...

Comment

The two series-rectifiers are good to 2kV PIV, so I think mains transients damaged that one. With +340V on the big cap, you have -1.6kV left

Lightning, or line switching transients, a reverse-voltage spike can avalanche a diode and kill it. The 2x360R resistance limits any current through them but diodes don't take much avalanche current.

I think an outlet could see 1,500V-2,500V spikes depending on the electrical system and nearby loads etc.

Comment

lightning may well be the root cause, it's outside after all...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                        lightning may well be the root cause, it's outside after all...
                                        Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                        I've seen diodes get blown out on these things often, so check those.
                                        My experience exactly. Even just a nearby strike will kill these things.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

It nice to see that you have it back up and running again
                                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                          1 Dell Mother Board
                                          15 Computer Power Supply
                                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                          X