The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Supermicro P6DGU Retro Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
So it's possible you threw out quite a few good boards then.
On seconds thoughts... most old hardware just needed a recap. So maybe not that many. And newer hardware with polymers probably doesn't get to you since you do mostly recaps.
Nevertheless, if I was near, I would've probably lived next to your dumpster, just to make sure I didn't miss anything getting thrown out.
It would be pretty picked clean and determined to be absolute junk before being trashed. Anything really rare or unusual, I typically hang onto. I strip anything usable off them I can that's practical to remove and/or reuse.

Quote:
Meh. I'm so used to working on OEM boards that I hardly notice anymore.
For the most part, I don't either. I lost interest in overclocking anything once the netburst era stuff took hold....they were lousy overclockers, and CPU's beyond that, it really wasn't necessary... Pentium classic through Pentium3 era hardware was the 'golden age' of overclocking.

Quote:
Hehe.
I'm a little younger than you, so for me it was stuff from the socket 939 era when I was in my mid-teens.
I never had a 939 system, but I had a couple 940's later on, after they had become 'trailing edge'. This was a good 10yrs ago. I got seriously interested in tech @ around 19, around 1993....but already had a strong background. It started with 386/486...and then came the Pentium & windows95, all hell broke loose then!!

Quote:
Some of them do, actually.
It's usually the socket 7 and older stuff, though. Complete 386 and 486 systems fetched around $100 at one point. Haven't looked up recently what they sell for now or their availability.

That said, the prices on AGP cards is steadily going up, especially nVidia mid and high-range stuff. I saw a "very rare" (according to auction) GeForce FX 5950 XT ultra go for over a $1000 just 3-4 months ago, and several other listings with other FX5900 variants for $200-300 on average. These weren't the asking prices for them either. Most just started at $1-10 starting bid. And what I wrote above is what they _sold_ for. Very crazy if you ask me.
You know what's getting ridiculous in price....SCSI hard drives... I've got a lot of them, but am always looking for more. They're great for performance & authenticity of some retro builds. Controllers are plentiful & cheap.....but the drives.... YIKES! When I can get away with it (PCI compliance is the usual hurdle, especially P-classic stuff), I'll add SATA controllers to some P-classic~P3 era stuff, its a huge performance boost.

Quote:
Just tell her to write an obituary on BCN, if anyone wants to come pay you respects (+ buy hardware while there, from which the proceeds can go towards funeral costs).
That should get your stock sold pretty fast. Maybe not at the best prices, but better than scrap!

And personally if it was my funeral, I'd specifically request for people to bring bad & blown caps and toss them in when they dump me in the ground.
Ah, okay sorry for the black humor! I might have gone a little overboard there. Runs in part of my family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
You could always will all of them to various BCN members...

Yeah, I know
You vultures!! I'd have to label everything I guess....the sleeper builds without labels would be taken at face value.....bad for the seller, good for the buyer...

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote