The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Default Re: Supermicro P6DGU Retro Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Oh that Made in USA sticker... I spotted it from far away and I love it!
So did I....its probably one of the reasons I put so much effort into repairing the board. Normally when they need these kinds of components replaced, I toss them into the recycler barrel. Made in the USA + super rare supermicro....yea, no way is it dumpster fodder...

Quote:
Dual P3's @ 1 GHz - that should handle quite a bit. I tried the same in my CUR-DLS motherboard (though my CPUs are the 133 MHz version, so not that rare... but for $2 I can't complain at all) and it was pretty speedy, even with XP. If fact, I'm kind of wondering why you didn't put XP on there. With 2 GB of RAM and those CPUs, it will handle a much newer browser than FF12.
And you have AGP slot in that? - Nice! My crappy CUR-DLS only has PCI and PCI-X. Best PCI card I have is a GeForce 8400 GS, and that's already reserved for another PC. Besides, even a very good PCI card is slow compared to AGP due to slow nature of PCI bus.
This board has zero overclocking abilities. no VCORE adjustments, and only two FSB settings: 100 and 66....but I'm with you. When its set up in permanent form, I will put XP on it. I have several legit XP VLK's. XP will run great on this.

Quote:
So you got quite the good hardware there. Imagine if you had a time machine and traveled back a little, then showed your rig to people. I bet they'd be drooling hard.
Funny thing is, I remember looking at the P6DBU which same board, except it's a BX chipset (this one is a GX, which supports more memory) back when it was new (1999-ish)....was like $700...and that was before you bought supporting hardware.... No way a poor slob like me could afford that back then.

Quote:
Now it's just a cool functional museum piece. But can still be useful, if you have the right software and whatnot. And in this condition, it might be worth good money some day. Actually, people are putting crazy prices on old hardware like this already. I'm not sure if anyone is ever buying this stuff at that price... but I guess they must be if those auctions/listings exist. Who knows.
I've seen some of those loony listings.....I wish & hope they will bring those kinds of prices some day, I have some really oddball stuff around here that would definitely qualify! I'll have to sell them all before I kick the bucket....my wife thinks they're all scrap iron, and would probably dispose of them as such....

The case I'm working on for this build is a very excellent example of an era-specific 'out-of-the-box' system, but in a very unusual full tower option....and of course I have a nice array of Plextor opticals to outfit it with.

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote