Netgear switch dropping large packets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear switch dropping large packets.

I have a Netgear FS105 10/100 switch that will lose large packets that approach 1500 bytes. Initially I couldn't figure out why I was having trouble with (S)FTP dropping my connection or working really slowly. So I opened Ethereal or whatever they call that these days and saw the enormous amount of retransmissions. I opened a ping session with maximum packet size and lost 90%. Normal ping packets were fine. I removed it and attached my computer to the wall directly and no more trouble...
    Any ideas why it would do this? I opened it and the caps seem fine. None bulging or leaking.

Re: Netgear switch dropping large packets.

have you tried setting the MTU to 1492?
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

also, have you tried different ports on the switch or different patch cables? Another possibility is that you are trying to use full duplex and maybe the switch only supports half duplex?? That could cause packet collisions which could give you the high loss rate too.

I once had the same exact problem with my cable modem. they tried sending 15 meg speeds that the modem could only support 8 meg speeds. After upgrading from 8 to 15 megs, my download speeds went very irate and went from 8 meg down to more like 4 or 5 meg, even though they were pushing 15 megs though and the box was able to do 8 or so megs.
      Last edited by kaniki; 05-22-2010, 09:35 PM.

Comment

The loss was on any port with different cables. All had full duplex and always has been as far as I know. I didnt try forcing half duplex.
        It wasnt just max size packets, that just gave the most loss, so 1492 MTU wouldn't of helped much.

Comment

The only time I have seen this is due to hardware error/failure. Most newer switches in the last 5 to 8 years have one asic controlling as many as 8 to 16 ports. If the asic is wonky, all ports will exhibit some sort of problem.

You could try flashing with the latest firmware or reflashing if you already have the latest firmware in hopes of fixing it?

Or you can look at the asic controlling the ethernet ports and check for bad/cold/dry solder joints?

Originally posted by Colt45ws
          The loss was on any port with different cables. All had full duplex and always has been as far as I know. I didnt try forcing half duplex.
          It wasnt just max size packets, that just gave the most loss, so 1492 MTU wouldn't of helped much.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

what make are the caps?
            just coz they look fine means nothing.

99% of the bad caps i'v removed during tv,video & satellite repair looked fine.

Comment

Teapo.
              With Capxon and a Jamicon in the brick.
              Last edited by Colt45ws; 05-23-2010, 03:56 AM.

Comment

all shit.

Comment

i've got the same switch twice. 1 of them is currently in use on my main comp..
                  recapping them was the first thing i did, even though they seemed to work fine.

otherwise neat little 5port switch. especially with the thick all-metal casing.. no plastic crap

Comment

So you think new caps will fix it?
                    Thats why I like it, because its metal... Im going to upgrade to gigabit switches at some point, just need this to run a little longer. Right now Im using a WRT54G with everything disabled and the WAN port linked to the LAN ports. Powerful 5 port switch, basically. :P
                    Do you think Nichicon PW would be an acceptable replacement?

Comment

One problem I have seen with several smaller Netgear switches is that they put a nice heatsink, but no air flow in the unit. With heat and a small space, that will destroy many cheap caps quickly. I ran a netgear switch for a while with it "open" so the heatsink cooled much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Colt45ws
                        Teapo.
                        With Capxon and a Jamicon in the brick.
                        replace those shyt brands and see how.

I had this crap before with random reboots or hangs, caps looks fine, but once replaced, they were working great

Comment

switch = layer 2

in other words that problem should be hardware related.

thats only true if your working fine without the switch (bypassing it)

beating a dead horse, 5/25

Comment

Working...
                          X