Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel SATA Controller Failure

Hi!

I have a laptop with an Intel i5-4510u which doesn't detect the M.2 SATA SSD.
    The SSD is getting its 3.3V. Measured it on the SSD itself.
    Linux doesn't report any SATA Controllers in dmesg or lspci.
    Turned off Secure Boot, enabled legacy, etc....
    Linux was booted from USB. Everything else works perfectly fine.

Is it possible that the internal SATA Controller died?
    I'm really frustrated...

Hope someone can help

EDIT:
    I watched some Videos of this specific notebook and noticed that the SATA configuration is completely missing in my BIOS. Maybe the BIOS is corrupted?
    Last edited by KvnTM; 09-11-2019, 11:47 AM.

Re: Intel SATA Controller Failure

that is possible. Bios reprogramming is an easy way to verify it. Which one of SSD connector, Sata HDD connector, and Sata DVD connector does work fine? you can check status of these three ports in linux and report the corresponding error messages that linux displays.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
      that is possible. Bios reprogramming is an easy way to verify it. Which one of SSD connector, Sata HDD connector, and Sata DVD connector does work fine? you can check status of these three ports in linux and report the corresponding error messages that linux displays.
      Thanks for your response! It is an ultrabook without dvd or "normal" sata connector. It only has M.2 and one proprietary connector for ultra slim drives.
      Linux doesnt report anything about sata controllers. And there is nothing in the bios. I'll reflash the bios with the original tool and report back.

Since the SATA Controller is inside the PCH which is on the CPU itself wouldnt it completely die when it fails? USB and every other port on that machine works fine. I'll boot into Windows using an external drive and see.
      Last edited by KvnTM; 09-11-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:
        I reflashed the BIOS with the original BIOS Upgrade tool and nope. SATA aint back... Any suggestions?

Comment

BIOS upgrade is mostly not helpful. you should remove the BIOS IC and reprogram it using a completely new Bios dump. you can download a Bios dump for your laptop from the Internet.
          Do you see any damage on pins of the M2 connector or the SSD card?
          Last edited by caspian; 09-11-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

BIOS upgrade is mostly not helpful. you should remove the BIOS IC and reprogram it using a completely new Bios dump. you can download a Bios dump for your laptop from the Internet.
            Do you see any damage on pins of the M2 connector or the SSD card?
            OK I'll try to reprogram the IC tomorrow. I hope I find a dump somewhere..
            M2 connector is fine.

BTW did you ever hear of failing SATA Controllers in intel processors?
            Never ever happened to me.
            Last edited by KvnTM; 09-11-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, although it's not the issue here, some 6-series chipsets (B2 stepping) had a failing SATA2 controller, everything else was fine.
              You confirmed the M.2 slot is indeed for SATA and not NVMe? (or even AHCI even though it's very rare)
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I experienced it in AMD mainboards.
                Last edited by caspian; 09-11-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                  Yes, although it's not the issue here, some 6-series chipsets (B2 stepping) had a failing SATA2 controller, everything else was fine.
                  You confirmed the M.2 slot is indeed for SATA and not NVMe? (or even AHCI even though it's very rare)
                  Yes, the M.2 slot is SATA and not NVMe. I looked in the schematic of the Board and it is SATA. Also confirmed this by looking up SSD suggestions for this laptop. There is no mention of NVMe at all.

I attached a screenshot of the Connector Schematic. The labeling makes no sense but it is what it is.

Would a failing Controller disappear from the BIOS? This is kinda odd and never happened to me before. I thought the options are hardcoded into the Bios and wouldn't just disappear at least that's why I think. I'll reprogram the BIOS Chip and report back.

One small Sidenote: The CPU is i5-4210U not 4510U.

Last edited by KvnTM; 09-12-2019, 03:25 AM.

Comment

I experienced it in AMD mainboards.
                    Never had AMD stuff. Always been an Intel fanboy

Comment

So I have dumped the flash. I attach it to this reply maybe someone can analyze it? Currently flashing a dump from the Internet. Takes ages on my programmer...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the double or triple posts but I can't edit my last replies.
                        Flashed the chip but SATA still doesn't work. No entry in the BIOS either.

I really think that the controller died.

Comment

what did happen to the OS you installed on a USB HDD? have you found any problem in the installed OS?
                          If you did not, I recommend that you install it to see what will be displayed in its device manager.

Comment

what did happen to the OS you installed on a USB HDD? have you found any problem in the installed OS?
                            If you did not, I recommend that you install it to see what will be displayed in its device manager.
                            Absolutely no issues with Windows. Installed Windows to a usb hdd with Win2USB tool. I also ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool and it passed everything.

Maybe the SSD is not Supported? It is a Samsung MZNLN128HCGR.
                            This m2 Key thing is just stupid. Why use the same connector for two different products? I want my regular sata connectors back.
                            If you want pcie just stick it in one of your dozen free slots.

I attached a Photo of the Device Manager. Sorry it is in German though.
                            Last edited by KvnTM; 09-12-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I feel so f***ing stupid. I bought a dead SSD!
                              Issue has been solved by replacing the SSD. *Facepalm*

Still many thanks to you guys!

If someone needs a BIOS for Lenovo Yoga 2 13" (Model 80DM, i5, 8GB) go ahead and download the one a few posts up.
                              The rom is fine.
                              Last edited by KvnTM; 09-14-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X