Unknown Capacitor Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unknown Capacitor Brands

Hitano caps do not have the same ultra low ESR that the latest caps do. I have however seen no complaints about them.

A number of us outside the US are trying Samxon caps with very good performance. No problem has yet been witnessed with this range however the Badcaps site does not yet support their use in that there has been insufficient testing.

I am in Perth and have suffered the same difficulty in getting the right caps, so have turned to Samxon. If you are interested you can email me and I can help you meet your need. Being an OFF forum communication this will then not implicate the Badcaps integrity or status.
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
    Samsung 18x DVD writer
    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
    33 way card reader
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Thanks davmax, I appreciate that... lately I've even sourced ex-Australian Army surplus capacitors 1000uF 10v, you get those Samxon's from Jaycar's (and their dealers/agents) right?
      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

im currently using caps named "G-LUXON" they work fine what company made this caps is it similar to rubicon or chemi-con?

Comment

G-Luxons are known bad caps. Not the worst of the worst, but keep an eye on them.

I've seen Hitanos as secondary caps on some mediocre AT PSUs. They all looked fine though.
          You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
          Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

G-Luxons are on the bad cap list - they're nowhere near as durable as Rubycon, Nichicon, Chemi-con, Panasonic or Sanyo low-ESR series. However, they're not the worst caps out there, and in a pinch they can be used for non-critical bypass applications on a motherboard - where high ripple currents are not likely to be seen, like near the Southbridge or audio sections.

They're definitely *not* recommended for use in the VRM, DIMM or Northbridge sections.

Comment

I've recapped Abit BX133-RAID board for a fried maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I didn't have any caps so he bought some - G-Luxons, probably not low ESR and 85 degC. The board still works - so I think that maybe only some series go bad (low ESR ones?)
              edit: found two of the caps - it's G-Luxon GR

Comment

I bought some Samhwa 450V 47uF caps in 2000 for the HT supply on a valve amplifier I made. I had no idea about good caps/bad caps then. I was thinking they were probably alright, as they'd done 6-7 years without problem, but I just checked them now, and hello, a couple of them are bulging, so they'll all need replacing.

Interesting site. Seems like everything I open is full of bad caps! My router is Teapo, and it's been playing silly buggers, so I'll do those. My too-expensive short wave radio has also started playing up, and it's full of Su'scon and YEC caps, so I might see if replacing those helps, but otherwise I'm blindly stumbling there.

Comment

Samhwa is not absolut crap, but shure this are not long endurance caps. But theyr cheap ;-)

I mean 5 to 6 years is something, most conventional vendors are considering a too long lifespann. Two or three years ar in most cases all they want, as at this time warranty periods are in most cases in that region.

Comment

Samwha used to be crap, but after they purchased the electrolytic capacitor division of Samsung in 2001, they're slightly better. However, they don't make low-ESR and ultra-low ESRcaps for motherboard/VRM use. They're OK for general purpose, 85c, standard capacitors in low-current applications like audio, general bypass, low-power sections of TVs/monitors, etc.

If you see them in a PSU/high-current application, it's best to recap them preemptively.

Comment

I had some Yageo capacitors here, About a year ago these were the only low impedance capacitors i could find.
                      They look exactly the same as Teapo capacitors.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have a bag of new Yageos - some of them have Teapo-like vent, some standard cross vent.

Comment

How about Elite brand? Just cleaned out dust bunnies from a very nasty PSU which is at least 2-3 years old and they all looked fine.

Comment

I've seen lots of failed Elites, usually on falsely-rated '300W' PSUs used on P4 systems. Usually the ones on +12V go first, followed by +5V, +5Vsb and +3.3V.

Comment

I would consider Elite as crap, but it seems that they be the standard in todays crt Monitors and many other SOHO appliances.

Comment

Never mind, taking it accross to PM as I just checked the date.
                                Last edited by splaz; 02-12-2007, 11:37 AM. Reason: Taking it to PM

Comment

i just pulled a bunch of elite from an asus p4c800 board.
                                  they were not bulging but sizzled and stunk as i desoldered them.
                                  several measured .5 ohm esr.
                                  which is terrible for this type of cap.

Comment

Well this isn't in anything quite as high stress as in a motherboard or PSU but a linear power supply I have to build in kit form for a course has "Sun" axial filter caps.

Anyone heard of them ?

Thinking of replacing them with BC ones.

Comment

You are right the stress in a linear PS input filter is not as critical. Do you really need to replace those Sun caps? If it works fine let it be.
                                      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                                      Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                                      160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                                      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                      160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                                      Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                      Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                                      33 way card reader
                                      Windows XP Pro SP3
                                      Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                                      17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                                      HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Well they work fine as far as I know. Just was considering it might just be better in the long run to use something a bit more reliable and better quality, as I can't even find anything at all on that brand.

Comment

Hai all,

I'm a newbie in this community.

I'd like to know if you've ever heard about caps brand "GERLIN" .....
                                          It was taken from a redundant powersupply BPS-270RDX, here
                                          Is this good or bad ..... I can't find any info on the i-net and so in this forum....

Hope someone inform me about this capacitor (info / datasheet, etc)

I will take the pics later ....

TIA
                                          Last edited by akuhon; 02-19-2007, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X