Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Precision 470 Workstation

Hi, found this in the electric trash pallet at work
    A Dell workstation, dual Xeon capable (Has a Nocona 2.8Ghz CPU installed) The system can accept the newer Dual Core Xeons I am told just by upgrading BIOS to atleast A06...

It does not POST, the front diagnostic LED's switch on only LED no 2 in amber, which is PSU fault according to Dell...
    Pretty good diagnostic if you take into account what has happened to it's capacitors...

It has 31x bad Nichicon 2200uF 6.3v HN(M) capacitors Manufactured week 22 year 2004 rated 105°C

The rest of the caps are Rubycon and Matushita and they are fine...
    I am going to replace the Nichicon caps with Samxon I think, but I heard that Dell changed the caps on this very mobo to solid polymers, does anyone know if they made any other design changes to accommodate for this?
    If not I think I should go with solid caps instead, what's your take on it?
    In any way I'll need to order the caps because I'm out of 2200uF 6.3v caps...
    The PSU looks very nice, good caps and very overdesigned (it's rated 550W) Model is D550P-00 P/N DPS-550DB A DELL P/N D1257
    Attached Files
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: Dell Precision 470 Workstation

great score!
    if it were my box it would use 820@2.5 solid polys which i have a ton of.
    bet its fine once recapped.

Comment

If possible, solid caps will be good choice, but cost will more expensive, because there is too many bad Nichicon HM 2200uF 6.3V D10mm.

If you want to costly, then replace with Samxon GC 2200uF 6.3v/10v is also OK.
      My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Ok, thanks Big Pope, I think I will go with the "cheap" alternative of GC caps... (Since I can't be sure it will work after a recap seeing as it doesn't POST)
        Also considering I don't know what else Dell redesigned in the layout... Maybe other coils and mosfets where used for the solid caps aswell?
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
          Ok, thanks Big Pope, I think I will go with the "cheap" alternative of GC caps... (Since I can't be sure it will work after a recap seeing as it doesn't POST)
          Also considering I don't know what else Dell redesigned in the layout... Maybe other coils and mosfets where used for the solid caps aswell?
          No need, if you want costly.

Comment

man... I've never seen so many blown caps on one board. I wonder how long it was working with partial blown caps before it finally died...
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

dood; yea, especially seeing how it's an dual CPU board but to my knowledge only one CPU was installed!

Comment

What diameter are those bad Nichicon 2200?
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                  What diameter are those bad Nichicon 2200?
                  Diameter should be 10mm in the photo.

Comment

Hi, found this in the electric trash pallet at work
                    A Dell workstation, dual Xeon capable (Has a Nocona 2.8Ghz CPU installed) The system can accept the newer Dual Core Xeons I am told just by upgrading BIOS to atleast A06...

It does not POST, the front diagnostic LED's switch on only LED no 2 in amber, which is PSU fault according to Dell...
                    Pretty good diagnostic if you take into account what has happened to it's capacitors...

It has 31x bad Nichicon 2200uF 6.3v HN(M) capacitors Manufactured week 22 year 2004 rated 105°C

The rest of the caps are Rubycon and Matushita and they are fine...
                    I am going to replace the Nichicon caps with Samxon I think, but I heard that Dell changed the caps on this very mobo to solid polymers, does anyone know if they made any other design changes to accommodate for this?
                    If not I think I should go with solid caps instead, what's your take on it?
                    In any way I'll need to order the caps because I'm out of 2200uF 6.3v caps...
                    The PSU looks very nice, good caps and very overdesigned (it's rated 550W) Model is D550P-00 P/N DPS-550DB A DELL P/N D1257
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...name=Quad-Core

Quad core 604's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117176

6 core 604.

Comment

370; yea, but I don't think the board supports them
                      Only the reqular (Netburst) dual core Xeons I think...

But anyway, awaiting caps from Big Pope, and yes, diameter is 10mm and height is 20mm

Comment

Thanks Per Hansson,
                        Was thinking about getting my hands on one of those boards and wanted to know what caps to expect to need replacing.
                        -
                        There are some weird 2.8GHz 533FSB Nacona core CPU's that I think Intel made custom just for Dell OEM systems. Pretty sure they went into Precision 470's.
                        There is no documentation on them at Intel.
                        Is that what you have?

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

PCBONEZ; Will check the exact SSPEC of the CPU if I remove it again...

Got the mobo recapped now, took a long while
                          Some massive ground planes leading away all the heat from the soldering iron!

However I still had the same issue when trying to power on; A click from a relay is heard from within the PSU
                          5VSB is present all the time, but the other rails don't become active it seems
                          The fault is not in the mainboard; I tried running the PSU bare bones only shorting the green wire to ground but it just does the same thing...
                          (I had an old harddrive and fan connected for load but they didn't even budge...)

I think it's strange because the PSU looks pristine inside, it's one of the most well built PSU's I've ever seen

Can someone give some pointers to where I should look for possible faults, and where I should take more pictures?

The PSU is not a standard ATX spec, it's some weirdo Dell thing with one 24 pin contact, one 20 pin and a third going to a breakout giving the HDD/FDD etc cables...
                          Attached Files

Comment

More Pictures...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Lastly one of the H/V area with the copper heatsink removed (sorry for the multiple posts, 10 min rule...)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Bought a new PSU on eBay (Plus the DMS-59 dongle for the Quadro 280 GFX card)
                                System is working fine now
                                Had some issues booting; turned out RAM was installed in incorrect slots when I got it from my company...

But it booted my Windows Live CD based on BartPE with XPE straight up without issues
                                Installing Windows 7 now (from USB because it only had a cd-rom, no DVD...)

Thanks Big Pope for the quick caps service as usual!

Comment

Congrats!

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Excellent score.

Comment

Good catch: don't forget to post some pics

Zandrax
                                      Have an happy life.

Comment

PCBONEZ; Will check the exact SSPEC of the CPU if I remove it again...
                                        It's a standard Xeon Nocona 2.8Ghz with 800Mhz FSB SL7PD
                                        TDP of 102W is quite high, system draws 130w AC idle and about 170W full load
                                        Would be nice with a low voltage CPU instead but no idea what will work (neither have Dell it seems)
                                        First I was set on a Dual Core Paxville but the TDP of 165w does not sound good, of course it does support EIST (Speedstep) which this CPU I have now don't...

The graphics card in it isn't worth the PCB it's printed on, nVidia Quadro NVS 280, based on NV34. It's the slowest POS I've had my hands on for atleast the last 10 years (well, maybe not but you get the picture)
                                        3.5fps in Rthdribl, don't get me started on actually running Solidworks 2009 on it or anything else, the slideshow is the worst I've seen!
                                        Apparently based of Geforce FX 5100, which was a replacement for Geforce 4 MX which was really a Geforce 2 MX but only worse to begin with...
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-23-2008, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X