Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

OK. I've just found 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707). Going to buy repair kit and replace all of them. Thanks to every body for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishannya View Post
      OK. I've just found 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707). Going to buy repair kit and replace all of them. Thanks to every body for your support.
      Make sure your kit includes ALL the caps. I've seen some kits that leave out the small caps.

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

OK. I've just found 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707). Going to buy repair kit and replace all of them.
          Let us know if new caps solve the problem or not.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I will. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Just repaired my Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor. Replacing 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707 & couple more small one) returned monitor back to normal life. Thanks to every one for help and support. Best regards.

Comment

Just repaired my Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor. Replacing 3 dry caps (C603,606 and 707 & couple more small one) returned monitor back to normal life.
                Good work. Saving a 28 inch monitor from the landfill is a good feeling.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have a problem with this monitor where it takes about 50 tries to get it to turn on. Once it is on everything works perfectly. Is there a good way to test the power supply board? I would like to plug in the AC power and turn on the board without using the monitor's power button. I see that in the back there's a printout that says PSON so I wonder if I can use that some how to turn the board on. Let me know of any suggestion. Thanks.

Comment

Did you check the switch?
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by rushstrike View Post
                      I have a problem with this monitor where it takes about 50 tries to get it to turn on. Once it is on everything works perfectly. Is there a good way to test the power supply board? I would like to plug in the AC power and turn on the board without using the monitor's power button. I see that in the back there's a printout that says PSON so I wonder if I can use that some how to turn the board on. Let me know of any suggestion. Thanks.
                      Perhaps a little more detail would help. Do you have to hit the power button on the monitor repeatedly to get it to turn on, or does the problem occur when you apply AC power?

The power supply in this monitor is a dual design - the standby section of the monitor is always on and takes only a few watts (possibly less than 1 watt). The main section is switched on only when it is active and draws most of the power.

The symptoms you describe sound like bad capacitors, and the layout of the power supply looks like it was designed to kill caps!!

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Please post some photos (top and bottom) of the power board per PlainBill's links in Post #30.

Comment

Yes the switch has been physically checked. It seems to open and close just fine using an ohm meter. According to this post, it seems that the problem is most likely due to the power supply board. If I unplug the AC cord and replug it into the wall, it seems like it has a better chance of turning on than me just repeatedly hitting the power switch. I will take some photos once I am home from work.
                          Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          Did you check the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                            Perhaps a little more detail would help. Do you have to hit the power button on the monitor repeatedly to get it to turn on, or does the problem occur when you apply AC power?

The power supply in this monitor is a dual design - the standby section of the monitor is always on and takes only a few watts (possibly less than 1 watt). The main section is switched on only when it is active and draws most of the power.

The symptoms you describe sound like bad capacitors, and the layout of the power supply looks like it was designed to kill caps!!

PlainBill
                            The monitor can sometime turn itself on right when I plug in the AC power. Then sometimes it can turn on when I try to press the power button repeatedly. Once I can turn it on, I can turn it off and on for about 5 times consecutively before it stops responding.
                            Attached Files

Comment

My initial guess is the startup capacitor is acting up. It's under that metal cover. Can you remove it and retake the photo?

Comment

The monitor can sometime turn itself on right when I plug in the AC power. Then sometimes it can turn on when I try to press the power button repeatedly. Once I can turn it on, I can turn it off and on for about 5 times consecutively before it stops responding.
                                Like the OP, all his caps looked good (no bloating), but after testing with an ESR meter, he found 3 dry caps and proceeded to switch them all out and save a 28 inch monitor.

If you have a multimeter, see if you get stable 5V STB DC (details in previous posts).
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

As is common for larger monitors, there is a PFC front end on this power supply. MORE complication. I would agree with retiredcaps. Do replace all electrolytics, especially the tiny ones.

PlainBill
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                    My initial guess is the startup capacitor is acting up. It's under that metal cover. Can you remove it and retake the photo?
                                    I think I will try to check the caps first with the ESR meter since I have to desolder this cap in order to remove that metal cover. I dont have a soldering iron with me atm.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi there,
                                      Just to add my 2 cents, I had a dead Hanns-G HG281D too, and after following the advice and info here I managed to get this dead monitor working again.
                                      There were 3 dry caps that were measuring low/incorrect capacitance once removed from the power supply, which were C603,606 and 707 also found by Mishannya. (these caps did not look puffy or leak either on inspection)

Many thanks to this great site!

Comment

I'm in the process of recapping the power board on my HG281D as well. Ordered the caps from Digi-key, on their way now.

Mine turns on for a while (15 mins or so) then shuts off. I can turn it on again and same thing happens except it shuts off within ~10-20 secs.

My power board looks different than yours and has a manufactured date of May 2009. Here is a pic with cap values:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by algomez View Post
                                          I'm in the process of recapping the power board on my HG281D as well. Ordered the caps from Digi-key, on their way now.

Mine turns on for a while (15 mins or so) then shuts off. I can turn it on again and same thing happens except it shuts off within ~10-20 secs.

My power board looks different than yours and has a manufactured date of May 2009. Here is a pic with cap values:

Your monitor is under 2 years old. Isn't it still under warranty? It would be suprising if the cap(s) failed that quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X