Increased uf in old capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increased uf in old capacitors?

I've noticed when recapping amplifiers and speaker crossovers through the years that the old caps are sometimes increased in capacitance? I recapped a speaker manufactured in 1973/4 just recently, all of the Elcap brand caps were increased in value significantly and some even doubled in capacitance? The only thing I can think of to cause this is that some of the electrolyte has dried out between the layers bringing them closer together thereby increasing the capacitance, or that a chemical reaction has taken place in the electrolyte? Or it's the Aliens! Any other ideas on why this increase happens?
    Attached Files
    HP P6-2203a desktop,AMD CPU A8-5500 with Radeon HD7560D,3.20Ghz. Radeon HD 6670.8Gb Ram.2TB HDD. WIN 10 64 bit O/S.

Re: Increased uf in old capacitors?

it is a sign of internal electrical leakage.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      it is a sign of internal electrical leakage.
      How does that work? Could you give some details, please?
      HP P6-2203a desktop,AMD CPU A8-5500 with Radeon HD7560D,3.20Ghz. Radeon HD 6670.8Gb Ram.2TB HDD. WIN 10 64 bit O/S.

Comment

breakdown in the insulating layer.
        meter the resistance - they should be totally open circuit.
        if they become leaky they take longer to charge - so the meter thinks they have a higher capacity.

your using the wrong tool for the job!

Comment

Those Elcaps are bipolar, of the two caps inside one shorted section would then read 2x the rated value.
          Some cap meters mistake leakage currents (longer ramp charging) as increased capacitance.
          Older electrolytics were generous and actually at +20% for tolerance. Newer parts are typically -20% I find.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            breakdown in the insulating layer.
            meter the resistance - they should be totally open circuit.
            if they become leaky they take longer to charge - so the meter thinks they have a higher capacity.

your using the wrong tool for the job!
            The resistance on those two caps shown in the photos is not open circuit! Both cycle from 1 million ohms to 500K ohms?

Comment

exactly, they have internal leakage between the poles/plates

Comment

Working...
              X