Rubycon HD 10uf 50v nonpolar - struggling to find a replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubycon HD 10uf 50v nonpolar - struggling to find a replacement

Can anyone help me to find a suitable replacement for this cap?

18mm x 40mm radial leaded, 7.5mm pitch.

It's from an old industrial crt driver board that I'm recapping.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Rubycon HD 10uf 50v nonpolar - struggling to find a replacement

That cap is likely in the horizontal yoke circuit, it must be able to handle the higher current, if there is no problems with the width I would leave it alone.
    I found a similar cap. by Nichicon UHA1H100MHD (Obsolete) ripple current 10amp@15.75khz
    I also found NTE brand HD10M50 HD series
    Last edited by R_J; 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your response.

CRT's are outside my comfort zone, but I can tell you that one leg of the cap goes directly to one of the leads to the deflection coil, so I am sure you are right.

The actual fault is that the trace draws from super bright at the start of the line to totally dark by the time it reaches the right side of the screen. This thing is pushing 30 years old at this point and has spent a lot of that time operating. Brute force replacing all the caps seemed like a good idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong? I have two identical boards with the identical fault.

I know we're in the wrong sub, but as you were kind enough to answer, could you offer any pointers where I should be looking to diagnose/repair?

Thanks again.

Comment

I would look at the screen supply capacitor, likely around the flyback and a low value like 10µf -22µf at 200 - 250 volts
        Is this a color or b&w monitor?

If the 10/50 HD,BP was bad (ie:open) you would not have any horz. deflection at all.
        If you have a make, model or chassis number that might help
        Last edited by R_J; 01-29-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

It's mono, a little 9" amber out of a cnc machine.

I'll have a look for that, thanks!

Comment

You can use a 10uF 50V polyester unit.
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              I would look at the screen supply capacitor, likely around the flyback and a low value like 10µf -22µf at 200 - 250 volts

If the 10/50 HD,BP was bad (ie:open) you would not have any horz. deflection at all.
              It's an Elston, the board is marked 32-95198279 REV 6.

Anyway, I think you nailed it. I found a 10µf 200v, one leg connected to the brightness pot, the other leg connected to the flyback via some ceramic caps and diodes. There is no sign of swelling or leaking, but I pulled it and checked it. Sure enough it's totally dead. This cap is placed directly next to a FR304 diode that evidently dissipates a lot of power. I guess it's been cooked by that over time.

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
              You can use a 10uF 50V polyester unit.
              Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Good to here you fixed it, those caps usually don't show signs of being bad, like bulging or leaking. they just dry up over time and go open.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post

Wow, like a boss! This is certainly not your first rodeo. lol

“Men always seem to think about their
                  past before they die, as though they were
                  frantically searching for proof that they
                  truly lived.”
                  – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

Working...
                  X