This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

I actually thought that iMicro PSU looked a bit like a Sun pro. I had a "550W" Sun pro once which even had similar heat discolouration to that. I don't know for sure, though. Sun pro don't often use ChengX caps.

The model number does seem a lot like a Sirfa/High Power, but it looks nothing like any Sirfa PSU I've ever seen before.
    Last edited by c_hegge; 05-28-2013, 05:26 AM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      What do you mean??
      How much does that hardware equal in continuous and repetitive peak watts (approximately, obviously). I'm pretty much a computer user, not a technoid life form who gets up to his elbows in computer hardware.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That very much depends on used CPU *and* voltage. But as for graphics, you may want to have a look at this usefull page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_units States 9800 GX2's TDP for 197 W.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
          How much does that hardware equal in continuous and repetitive peak watts (approximately, obviously). I'm pretty much a computer user, not a technoid life form who gets up to his elbows in computer hardware.
          Ah... I think the PSU could sustain 150-250W

Comment

It does look like a Sun Pro...Here's the one I posted a while back
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=422

Comment

This PSU seems to be designed by a bunch of monkies (thanks Topower ) They used genuine Sanyo TT2194 12A (20A pulse mode) switchers on the primary, with a Fairchild standby transistor, 8A bridge rectifier, 20A for the 12V and 3.3V, 30A for the 5V (all made by ST)....but WHY would they plague it not just with Fuhjyyu, but General Purpose Fuhjyyu caps?! (Those primary Fhy capacitors are actually 330uF too) It runs nice and cool with those dual fans, I think the secondary heatsink would overheat with just one fan. I think I will recap it for a low power build, I really wish it had PI coils though.

That PWM controller that you can't read by the pics is a UTC TL494L

One question though, that Fuhjyyu cap next to that standby (?) diode (in the last pic) is 470uF 25V. Seems like a strange value for that area but should I be able to replace it with a 16V cap?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pentium4; 05-28-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                This PSU seems to be designed by a bunch of monkies (thanks Topower ) They used genuine Sanyo TT2194 12A (20A pulse mode) switchers on the primary, with a Fairchild standby transistor, 8A bridge rectifier, 20A for the 12V and 3.3V, 30A for the 5V (all made by ST)....but WHY would they plague it not just with Fuhjyyu, but General Purpose Fuhjyyu caps?! (Those primary Fhy capacitors are actually 330uF too) It runs nice and cool with those dual fans, I think the secondary heatsink would overheat with just one fan. I think I will recap it for a low power build, I really wish it had PI coils though.

That PWM controller that you can't read by the pics is a UTC TL494L

One question though, that Fuhjyyu cap next to that standby (?) diode (in the last pic) is 470uF 25V. Seems like a strange value for that area but should I be able to replace it with a 16V cap?
                Here ya' go!
                http://www.psudatabase.com/epower-ep...-power-supply/

Comment

Wimpy heatsinks, smallish main transformer ... Should be OK for 200W, maybe 250W, depending on that transformer. Standard 1KV (I think) DC caps instead of real Y caps = NOT GOOD!
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

^ the transformer is size 33. It is short but pretty fat, I think it'd be good for at least 250W because the cooling is good. Definitely going to get rid of those "Y caps" they supplied, there is another one by the input caps labeled CY3, does that have to match the specs of CY1 and CY2? Putting real ones there and a filter coil won't be a good input filter but at least it's something!
                    Last edited by Pentium4; 05-28-2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

ePower is the retail line for Topower, but they stopped manufacturing their own power supplies. They are manufactured by Powsun, which is the the new name for Leadman. The name itself is the union of PowMax and SunPro, if I remember correctly. Check out the Power Supply Model Nuymbers and Pictures, they are Leadman.

http://www.itxpower.net/en_products.htm#a

Comment

Such a shame that Topower started using Leadman....I hope their reputation goes down the toilet for using them.

Here is a Coolmax made by Sirtec. Bulging Teapo caps, what a surprise! Every single cap in this thing is a Teapo. Rather weak 2SC2625 switchers, don't know why they didn't use the 2SC3320's.

Looks to have two 12V rails...until you see it only has one 12V rectifier, and there isn't a slot for a second one. I will have to remove the heatsink to see the specs of them. You can't see them really in the pictures but there are two HUGE PI filter coils under the wires. They're each 10x20mm and shrink wrapped.

That daughter-board is housing a SG6105DZ PWM controller and an LM339N comparator. The crappy T&T fan is going to be replaced, nothing but trouble with that brand, and it's LOUD even on the lowest speed setting
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pentium4; 06-04-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

It's a HPC-460-N12s ... lying on the label.

http://www.highpowersupply.com/hpc430n12s.html

hpc-430-n12s says 14A and 16A for 12v rails, 300w total. And 150w on 3.3v and 5v.
                          The 460w wouldn't ever be 380w on 12v, probably 320-340w max.

Yet coolmax advertises it as a 500w psu with 180/380 wattage.

Considering how many cables are there it doesn't surprise me than the teapo leaked .. who knows in what system this psu was in the first place and how dusty/hot it was.

Looks good for a 2006 power supply.

Comment

It does look good for a 2006 PSU. And the heatsinks look really nice. It has a two PCI-E connectors (6 & 6+2) so you're probably right, they probably had a nice video card hooked up to it. So you think it's really a 400W PSU or not even? It'd probably need beefier switchers

Comment

It's a 460w honest psu, labeled as 500w by coolmax, with i would say 520-550w numbers on the label.

It says on the label in the corner, hpc-460-n12s so you can estimate what it was rated for by going with the 430w model listed on the sirtec site, the one i linked to. I couldn't find a 460w model, probably because it wasn't sold under high power brand.

2006 is written on the pcb, but it could be a 2005 design fabricated in 2006, or it could be a 2007 psu using pcb from 2006, you get the idea.

It's still good psu for that time, that's all i'm saying.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Judging by the label it was made in the 31st week of 2006. I think I will keep it

Comment

I refuse to put any Leadman unit in the build quality pictoral so I'm putting it here Although it isn't as bad as some...It has what I think are fake 1000uF NCC KMG input caps. It only has one part on the primary heatsink and it is an ST W12NK90Z MOSFET rated at 11A 900V, how many watts would this thing be good for? The secondary has a 40A schottky for 12V and 30A for 3.3V and 5V. On the 12V filtering it only has a 1500uF 25V cap

Is this a two transistor forward design? Would this thing have ridiculous ripple?
                                  I was looking back on this one....Any particular reason they used a 25V capacitor on the 12V rail? Maybe just to get a higher ripple rating, or for some reason is 16V too low there?

Comment

Yeah mostly it seem they have higher ripple with voltage. Seems like Samxon RS is the exception here

Or they just had 10000 pcs left?
                                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Because no logic actually goes behind designing a Leadman PSU right?

Comment

Because no logic actually goes behind designing a Leadman PSU right?
                                        I'm pretty sure there are only two guys in charge of the company - A guy who knows how the PSU works, and a purchasing guy. The purchaser just asks the engineer "Would this part work?" "Nope" "This part work?" "Close enough" as they flick through a catalogue of the cheapest components.

Comment

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
                                          I'm pretty sure there are only two guys in charge of the company - A guy who knows how the PSU works, and a purchasing guy. The purchaser just asks the engineer "Would this part work?" "Nope" "This part work?" "Close enough" as they flick through a catalogue of the cheapest components.
                                          This cracked me up

I think maybe they might have had a reason for a 1500uF 25V cap there. I replaced it with a 3300uF 16V KY cap, and removed the minimum load resistor, fired it up and the 12V read 12.59V....in spec but very high. I put the minimum load resistor back in and it didn't change the results at all, so I'm thinking the cap might have something to do with it? the yellow wires on the 24 pin connector sit around 12.52V but the other yellow wires read sometimes up to 12.61V, although after letting it warm up, it goes down a little bit to 12.57V. It's powering a P4, 9800GT, and 3 hard drives so there is plenty load on the 12V line
                                          Last edited by Pentium4; 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X