X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Last but not least... the HD5770 with bad MOSFETs. Hate to say it, but it's probably the GPU that has gone bad (shorted) and killed the FETs. If I have to guess, it's the RAM buck regulator. I have an HD3870 and HD7850 here like that. On Radeon HD series cards, the memory I/O part of the GPU core seems to run about 5-10C hotter than all other areas of the GPU. So I suspect that's what kills most of these cards and also why I've seen so many Radeon HD cards with blown FETs - especially on the RAM. In any case, check the resistance of the GPU core and memory buck regulators. If the memory reads less than 2-3 Ohms, I'd suspect bad/shorted GPU. Meanwhile, it's OK for the GPU V_core buck regulator to read about 1-2 Ohms to ground, so don't mind that one.
    Actually, there's flux on the board so somebody tried to fix it but failed.

Scored today a Raidmax RX-500XT so I can test the GTX660 Ti I have. Hope it can power it up at least.

EDIT: Seems like the GTX660 Ti is dead as well I get the 1 long 2 short beep on startup on my DFI)

Also opened up the Raidmax. Figured out the OEM being Guangzhou Sanyang (Pangu Power) and looks like a pretty good PSU.

The only cut corners I can see are the obvious cap choices (ChengX 820uF 200v primaries and the rest is AsiaX) and the AC receptacle doesn't have any additional filtering.

Otherwise, a few good points I have seen in it:
    -fairly thick heatsinks (not Hipro grade thick, but good enough to not be a gutless wonder)
    -VIPER22A chip for 5vsb
    -UC3845B chip PWM controller
    -8A fuse
    -Weltrend WT7502V PWM
    -cool grille for the fan (12cm)
    -probably the BIGGEST output torroid I've seen in a PSU that is NOT FSP/Delta/AcBel/Hipro
    -2x20A rectifiers for 12V in parallel
    -2TF topology if I'm not mistaken

Guess it's a good PSU overall. The only things to do to it is add some line filtering (they put the silkscreens quite weird tho) and recap the PSU (I have a whole PS3 PSU from a dead CECHH04 to gut so that covers me good in the cap section, it's full of Nichicon and Chemicon caps)
    Last edited by Dan81; 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I've had 820uf KZG's fail in storage... was on a pair of Tyan Thunder K8W 2885's from around 2003-2004 or so.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        I've had 820uf KZG's fail in storage... was on a pair of Tyan Thunder K8W 2885's from around 2003-2004 or so.
        I did have one case of bulging KZGs in storage, but none after that. Mine happened on a MSI P965 Platinum. I recapped that thing with yellow Fujitsu polymers and things are great since then.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post

EDIT: Seems like the GTX660 Ti is dead as well I get the 1 long 2 short beep on startup on my DFI)
          That's interesting, because for me, 2-short means I need to reseat my RAM (socket 775, Asus Maximus II Gene)

But, I got reports from folks here of 2-short for video, IIRC, despite the documentation I remember seeing, indicating that 2-short means RAM issue.

Now, why would Supermicro and DFI mod the BIOS to swap the bleep codes around?!
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

award ami and phoenix all use different beep codes - i used to have some lists/tables

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
              That's interesting, because for me, 2-short means I need to reseat my RAM (socket 775, Asus Maximus II Gene)

But, I got reports from folks here of 2-short for video, IIRC, despite the documentation I remember seeing, indicating that 2-short means RAM issue.

Now, why would Supermicro and DFI mod the BIOS to swap the bleep codes around?!
              The one DFI I have in use uses the same sound sequence as Gigabyte boards (which will do rapid short beeps if there is no RAM) and an ABIT IP35-Pro board i have also uses 1long 2 short for missing video.

On the other hand, managed to revive a Geforce 7600GS 256MB from ASUS that was artefacting, and an 8500GT from Gigabyte is up next. Before this I also revived an launch model PS3, a CECHC03. (the one with the SD/MS Pro Duo readers)
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

The one DFI I have in use uses the same sound sequence as Gigabyte boards (which will do rapid short beeps if there is no RAM) and an ABIT IP35-Pro board i have also uses 1long 2 short for missing video.
                Oh OK, I had that feeling that the motherboard maker changed the bleep codes. But I only noticed that for OEM systems. I also saw documentation report repeated rapid short bleeps for a power error, IIRC, which I don't know exactly what that means. (insufficient volts?) But in my experience, rapid short bleeping can also be an overheat warning.

If 2008 and 2009 AMI BIOS revisions were changed, then maybe the video error sounds just like Award (1 long and 3 short bleeps)

I think for a RAM issue before, I heard an Acer Aspire M5630, which I think is an ECS motherboard, bleep six times or a similar number of bleeps. (Much like CPU fan error on Asus P5Q and ROG)
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  award ami and phoenix all use different beep codes - i used to have some lists/tables
                  I know that well, but what makes me ponder, is I suspect some BIOSes giving a different bleep code for the same thing, even with the same BIOS make and just a different board make or model, even when not custom-made for big OEMs, like HP and Acer.

OTOH, for laptops, I would be a lot less surprised!
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Made some thrift store scores today (Goodwill half-off everything day, which helped):

Salvation Army:

-Olympus SZ-14 with no battery or charger- $2.50. Normally I don't do these but it was too nice of a camera for too cheap to skip. Already ordered batteries and charger (I'm a gambling man on these things )
                    Batteries and charger came in... and:

Dixie the cat might not be happy, but the camera sure is. Works beautifully... Nicest camera I own. It's no DSLR, but the closest I have and will have any time soon.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM. Reason: Wrong cat. Dammit RD... *kick*
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Actually, there's flux on the board so somebody tried to fix it but failed.
                      Even before that, it is still very likely the memory controller area in the GPU core failed shorted and killed the FETs. That's just how some Radeon cards go. Seen it on the Xbox 360 GPUs as well.

Yeah, I didn't want to jinx it... but whenever I see a mid or high-end GTX card for cheap/free, I always imagine it's because it is dead. I haven't even had a chance to test my GTX 560 yet, but the guy that sold it to me seemed pretty honest - was just some college student who said he just upgraded to a better GPU. He said it worked fine a year ago before he upgraded. Let's hope it still does. It is, after all, a 150W TDP card with a single 80 mm fan, so there's always a chance it ran very hot under load.

Anyways, try that GTX 660 on another board and also try cleaning the PCI-E contacts. Very small chance that's the problem, but worth a shot anyways. If not... reflow time? Though I find that Fermi-based GPUs can rarely be revived. :\

Batteries and charger came in... and:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1549938204

Dixie the cat might not be happy, but the camera sure is.
                      You got a kitty?! - Awesome!!!
                      Last edited by momaka; 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Anyways, try that GTX 660 on another board and also try cleaning the PCI-E contacts. Very small chance that's the problem, but worth a shot anyways. If not... reflow time? Though I find that Fermi-based GPUs can rarely be revived. :\
                        Sadly that GTX660 is as dead as a brick. I tried it in 3 different boards (MSI G41M-P26, ASUS M2N-E and ABIT IP35 Pro) and none recognized the card. Also reflowed it twice, first at 350*C and the second time at 550. Still nothing.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Given a pair of Dell 1908WPF monitors, working.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Sadly that GTX660 is as dead as a brick.
                            I call that "dead as a fly!" over here.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Also reflowed it twice, first at 350*C and the second time at 550. Still nothing.
                              Yup, that's modern nVidia for you. I never get any luck reviving those, so I don't even try anymore. Not that ATI is much much better.... but at least with the older stuff (R300 all the way up to HD6k series) I have up to 50% chance of getting a working card back. And if kept cool afterwards, they can manage to survive for a bit of time.
                              nVidia = noVideo

Comment

Yup, that's modern nVidia for you. I never get any luck reviving those, so I don't even try anymore. Not that ATI is much much better.... but at least with the older stuff (R300 all the way up to HD6k series) I have up to 50% chance of getting a working card back. And if kept cool afterwards, they can manage to survive for a bit of time.
                                nVidia = noVideo
                                At least, I never got an indication of the GTX 660 being bad like the 9800 GT, IIRC.
                                IIRC, I personally discovered a GeForce 9800 GT failed just within weeks after purchase! That was back in 2009.

I have a GeForce GTX 660 on my Asus Maximus II Gene rig, with the Wolfdale E8600 @ 4.0 Ghz That one is currently planned to be my Halo CE server.
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-15-2019, 10:55 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

nVidia = noVideo
                                  Well I do have a HD5770 that won't work with the 12v plug plugged in. Would a reflow fix that? With the 660Ti it's either a absolutely dead GK104 core or one of the VRMs responsible for powering the core being kaput, although I haven't seen any signs of dead VRM chips.

btw,older nVidia cards like the 7600GT and 8500GT I managed to reflow them with success, although the latter had an MOSFET commit sudoku out of the blue while testing. No idea why. The 7600GT works fine tho, no incidents so far.
                                  Last edited by Dan81; 02-16-2019, 11:36 AM.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Well I do have a HD5770 that won't work with the 12v plug plugged in. Would a reflow fix that?
                                    As in, it trips the PSU's short-circuit / overload / overpower protection?
                                    If so, that's probably a shorted MOSFET... and likely a result of bad GPU.
                                    Check GPU V_core and RAM Vdd rails resistance to ground. GPU V_core should be a little more than 1 Ohm (typically 1.5 or higher). Meanwhile, RAM Vdd can vary anywhere from 10 to 300 Ohms, depending on the RAM used and the GPU chip itself (larger chips of higher-end cards have lower static/off resistance).

And no... a reflow will not fix that, unfortunately.

btw,older nVidia cards like the 7600GT and 8500GT I managed to reflow them with success, although the latter had an MOSFET commit sudoku out of the blue while testing. No idea why.
                                    Should be revivable if you change the FETs. Had an AGP 7600 GS given to me a while back with a blown GPU V_core FET. Just changed it and the card has worked fine ever since. Might have been caused from a noisy/crappy PSU - at least that's my theory, as I've seen a crappy PSU kill a FET on an XFX GF 9400 GT card. In both cases, I used an 85 Amp MOSFET in place of the originals. The 7600 GS had a measly 15 Amp -rated MOSFET. Talk about over-kill, lol.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I got a call this morning from a friend of mine that owns storage lockers, he always calls when there's computer stuff in one he takes possession of. He says there's some parts, an old server, and some 'kiosk thingy', and if I want it come get it....or it'll be in the trash.

The boxes of loose parts contained nothing really note-worthy....some IDE HDD's, worthless PCI & AGP GPU's, some dialup modems, etc....but there were 2 items that made this a good haul!

Item 1, which got me all excited when I saw the box:

Awesome, some supercool supermicro server!!

Well poo...no system, empty case....but a new-in-box beige eATX case with a 665w PSU.

Item 2; Now for the really cool gadget, which he called the 'kiosk thingy'.....well it's a "Monorail model 133", the first ever pentium-class AIO with an LCD panel.

In its original box:

These specs are accurate.

What was in the box:

All accessories included.

After some work to get it to boot, someone upgraded it to win98se

It has 16mb RAM hard mounted on the motherboard, and 2x empty SIMM slots....I stuck 2x 64mb modules I had on hand in it....it saw them, so 16+128 gave it 144mb.

I remember seeing these advertised once in the 'Computer Shopper Guide' for ~$1200-ish (for those of you that remember that massive monthly "tech bible" from back in the 90's)...but I never saw one in person. A quick google of this, they're pretty rare, especially in this condition...so a restoration project is born! This would be a great runner for NT4, and of course after tinkering with CPU & memory upgrades. It has no NIC, but does have a single ISA expansion slot. A dedicated thread coming soon!
                                      Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

As in, it trips the PSU's short-circuit / overload / overpower protection?
                                        If so, that's probably a shorted MOSFET... and likely a result of bad GPU.
                                        Check GPU V_core and RAM Vdd rails resistance to ground. GPU V_core should be a little more than 1 Ohm (typically 1.5 or higher). Meanwhile, RAM Vdd can vary anywhere from 10 to 300 Ohms, depending on the RAM used and the GPU chip itself (larger chips of higher-end cards have lower static/off resistance).

And no... a reflow will not fix that, unfortunately.
                                        All mosfets on the power side seem to be replaced. I replaced a burnt diode from the other end of the PCB, right above the core, on the PCB edge, nada. Replaced another MOSFET that looked really suspect near the 12v plug, nothing either.

IDK what to say about the GPU though... a naked-eye peek on level with its solder side looked pretty suspect to me - some solder balls looked different than the others. Maybe it's the solder balls shorting?

Should be revivable if you change the FETs. Had an AGP 7600 GS given to me a while back with a blown GPU V_core FET. Just changed it and the card has worked fine ever since. Might have been caused from a noisy/crappy PSU - at least that's my theory, as I've seen a crappy PSU kill a FET on an XFX GF 9400 GT card. In both cases, I used an 85 Amp MOSFET in place of the originals. The 7600 GS had a measly 15 Amp -rated MOSFET. Talk about over-kill, lol.
                                        On the 8500, it just decided to kill itself for no reason. I was using a good PSU that I worked on (a Raidmax RX-500XT - no, it's not OEM'd by SunPro) and a barely demanding board (GA-945GZM-S2 and 1x 512MB DDR2 stick by Kingmax).

I might replace it with a 50 or 75A fet if I have any left.
                                        Last edited by Dan81; 02-18-2019, 10:38 PM.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                          Well poo...no system, empty case....but a new-in-box beige eATX case with a 665w PSU.
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1550542409
                                          Aw poor TC, I feel so bad for your "insignificant" find .

Silly jokes aside, it's interesting to note this case has two front USB ports. I suppose it's not that old then - possibly from the early 2000's?

Item 2; Now for the really cool gadget, which he called the 'kiosk thingy'.....well it's a "Monorail model 133", the first ever pentium-class AIO with an LCD panel.
                                          WOW!!! That is actually pretty cool find!

10.4" viewable area color screen
                                          I think that says it all. This thing must indeed have cost a small fortune to someone back then. Glad you're the person who found it. It would be a shame if someone else did and let it go to waste.

I bet this thing still has good vintage value, especially in that condition. Not suggesting that you should sell it or anything. After all, it fits with the rest of the cool systems you have. Just need to tell us when we can buy tickets to view your museum collection.

It has 16mb RAM hard mounted on the motherboard, and 2x empty SIMM slots....I stuck 2x 64mb modules I had on hand in it....it saw them, so 16+128 gave it 144mb.
                                          LOL, a "133" model with 144 MB of RAM.

This would be a great runner for NT4, and of course after tinkering with CPU & memory upgrades. It has no NIC, but does have a single ISA expansion slot.
                                          Meh. Personally I think Windows 95/98 fits it better.

IDK what to say about the GPU though... a naked-eye peek on level with its solder side looked pretty suspect to me - some solder balls looked different than the others. Maybe it's the solder balls shorting?
                                          Nope. That's just your typical RoHS BGA. Seen many like that.

Like I said, rather than playing the guessing game, just measure the resistance to ground on the GPU V_core and RAM Vdd rails. Then you will know if something is shorted for sure or not.

On the 8500, it just decided to kill itself for no reason.
                                          Since you get your GPUs second hand (or is it 3rd/4th hand? ), make sure to inspect the back of each card for missing/chipped SMDs. I've had cards come in such way, where there were a few tiny SMDs broken off right for the GPU V_core rail PWM controller. One of them was actually for the voltage feedback. Had I not noticed this and plugged the card in "as-is", most likely the GPU V_core VRM would have committed suicide. Also was working on another card today, where there was a chipped SMD ceramic cap that was part of the compensation network for the voltage feedback. With this cap missing, the GPU VRM would still likely have worked OK, but could start to oscillate at low or high load (depending on what that cap did) and cause something to blow only after some time. Of course, I noticed it, so that didn't happen.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 02-20-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X