Secondary MCP61PM-HM issue & my work-around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary MCP61PM-HM issue & my work-around

This will be the second MCP61PM-HM motherboard that I've received(deliberately) and recapped with good results... yet there is still an issue which seems to have lingered on one board, but perhaps both(will find out this week I hope).

1. the System Fan plug is only putting out 5V on the + , not the 12V that it should be. Fan will not run, and system constantly gives the "System Fan Has Failed" message upon boot-up.
    2. CPU fan plug is not putting out full 12V either, but I have a harder time checking the actual voltage put out since the system will shut down if it receives no fan RPM signal on the CPU fan connector(i.e. unplugging connector to check voltage when motherboard is in the case). In this case though the CPU fan spins, but it is noticeably slow(enough to cause concern).

My best guess, and yes that's all it comes down to, is that the nearby WM772L transistor/IC has somehow failed; both the CPU and System fan connectors get their + power through one of those chips(theres 2 of these chips total). Unfortunately I cannot come across any information(data sheets) on that chip number, not to mention finding a replacement.

For the System Fan function I just nabbed 12V from a nearby surface mount resistor/fuse with the black markings on a white background "P" "150-24", and also made certain that the WM772L chip was no longer connected to the + power lead of the System Fan connector.
    I basically did the same thing for the CPU Fan connector, except this time I couldn't locate +12V on most things nearby, and thus I grabbed power direct from the 24-pin power supply input(pins 19 & 21 are good 12V pins). I ran a 20ga wire on the underside of the board between the supply input and the CPU Fan + input; also remembering to break the connection between the failing IC and the + input(nearby SMD resistor).
    Results: no "System Fan Has Failed" message, and the CPU Fan spins as fast as it should(IMHO - much faster than before).

Now I just need to find out if this issue also is occurring on the first MCP61PM-HM that I re-capped.

Pictures to follow.

Also, I did mount a small 12V fan to the chipset heatsink, I do not trust this thing to run warm for too long considering all the potential fail issues of the Nvidia chipsets.... at least now that it's part of my collection
    Heheh, Legacy OS 2 live CD boots up just fine in with XVesa...
    Last edited by mazade; 12-27-2011, 01:58 AM.

Re: Secondary MCP61PM-HM issue & my work-around

That board temperature controls the fans, so 5V is perfectly normal.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Really? Well, why would the "system fan" not spin at all? It's a small crossflow fan, and the 5V that's being input doesn't even begin to turn it over...
      The CPU fan spun so weak that it would hardly move, and if it was stopped(by a finger or something) it wouldn't even start back up on its own.
      Perhaps you're right about that, but yikes!

Comment

^
        because you have the case fan plugged into the wrong header. Been there done that, I see these boards all the time.

Yes, the fans are temp controlled. then spinning slow is perfectly normal. As the system heats up, the temp control spins the fans up faster.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

You are using 3-wire fans with tach's,, right?
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

^

Well that too...
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by mazade View Post
              Really? Well, why would the "system fan" not spin at all? It's a small crossflow fan, and the 5V that's being input doesn't even begin to turn it over...
              Wait... A crossflow (hamster wheel) fan? that's not the original HP fan then. That might explain it. The HP fans usually rev really fast at 12V (5000+ RPM) and sound like jet engines. 5V spins them at around 700-800RPM.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I have this board out of its original case and all, just picked it up bare on ebay for cheap.
                OK... so I'm a dupe regarding their weird setup...
                I just dont like the thought of that thing being able to heat up, at all, especially with that sensitive Nvidia chipset that doesn't have any active cooling for it

Comment

Working...
                X