Sony KDL-46Z4100 another TCON problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-46Z4100 another TCON problem?

My Sony is displaying similar video problems to those I've seen in another recent post here. When I power on, the screen comes up with the black screen with colored vertical lines. Then the screen goes black and comes up with a white background with colored vertical lines. Pictures are attached, including other information about the unit.

I have reseated the the plugs on the cable from the main board to the TCON and have also reseated the ribbon cables at the top of the TCON. None of that has changed anything, so I suspect the board is bad. Do you agree? If so, I have another dilemma. This board is Sony PN A1564648A and I think I've searched the entire Internet without finding any in stock. How can I find a suitable substitute if this one is no longer available? With all the reported problems, it's hard to believe that they aren't available!

Thanks for your advice!

Chuck
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-46Z4100 another TCON problem?

Unfortunately I think your panel may be bad

Comment

IMO it could be t-con or panel because I've had vertical lines with bad t-con.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. If I could find a suitable T-Con board I would try it rather than just assuming it's the panel. Any ideas on where I can find one or who can suggest an appropriate substitute?

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

The picture looks like t-con, similiar to mine. This kind of t-con is hard to find.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like a panel problem, but I might try a t-con anyway. The vertical lines would make me want to give it a shot. The t-con for this TV is unusually expensive. From what I can tell, based on your serial number, there isn't a substitute. I know ModusLink PTS rebuilds certain main boards, but they may also be able to rebuild your t-con. Not sure. Since this is a common fault, I'd be looking for a repair service vs. a replacement.
            Last edited by capkid; 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM.
            LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Seems like there's no good news here. I think I'll buy a cheap new TV and see if I can snag a cheaper T-CON over the coming months. Then if it fixes the Sony, find a new home for one of them. I found a T-CON for $180 and I don't think I want to risk that much when the problem could be the panel.

Thanks for your help!

Chuck

Comment

If it helps you make a decision, that type of line pattern can't be caused by the panel. When the panel goes it's always thin lines. Also the fact that the horizontal lines disappear (2nd pic) is an indication that it's definitely NOT the panel making them.

I'd snag a Tcon, even if it's fairly pricey. That's a nice big TV.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yeah, I bought a cheap 50" Toshiba to tide me over. I've found a couple of T-Cons for a bit less so will probably bite the bullet soon. When I do I'll post the results.

Thanks for your observations!

Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck;
                    Thanks for your post, I have almost identical issue with my Sony KDL-46VL160 and it has the same TCON. I can not find a TCON Board either #A1564648A.

Any luck with your TV??, any insight would be great. Does anyone have a link to who would make a repair on this TCON if unable to obtain one?

My picture did start to freeze for about 5 minutes prior to this occurring, now just multiple vertical colored lines that randomly shift positions. I can not see anything in the back ground.

I have uploaded a couple pictures.

From what I have read on Badcaps.net I narrowed it down to bad panel (not cost effective to fix) or bad T Con. Any other suggestions from anyone??

Thanks

Rob
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Robb,

I have ordered a used T-Con board from a company in China that was recommended by another forum member. The board is in route to me now and I expect to receive it in a week or so. Total cost was $113 including shipping. Here's a link to their site http://www.wisiny.com/1-878-182-11-s...oard-version-1

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Isn't it frustrating to have to deal with something of this nature with so few years (and hours) on your TV? I'll post the result after I receive and install the board.

Cheers!

Chuck

Comment

Thanks Chuck, yes please post with how you made out. I hope it works for you!!

Rob

Comment

I had a Sony 46" with a similar problem, It turned out to be the Main Board.

Comment

Progress report: no joy so far!

I received the board and carefully installed it. Plugged it in, the set powered on and my first observation is there are no longer any colored vertical bars on the screen. Good news, I thought. BUT, even though I got sound through the speakers from my DTV box, there was no picture. As I was thinking about this, the TV turned itself off and the status light blinked red 14 times repeatedly until I unplugged it. Turned it on again and had the same problem. So, opened it up again and did two things. First, cleaned and reseated the connector on the wire that goes to the main board. Can't get to the actual terminals inside the connector on the board, but worked it into and out of the connector several times hoping to cut through any oxidation that might be preventing contact. I also released the two ribbon cables at the top of the board and did the same. Cleaned all contacts I could get to and reseated the ribbons. Fired it up and continue to have the same problem.

I did a quick Internet search and found nothing really conclusive about the cause of the 14 red flashes.

So, any advice would be appreciated! Failing good ideas from this group I think I've done all I can to get this thing back in service.

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

According to the Sony Service Manual, 14 times blinking (TCON Error).

Comment

Originally posted by Davheel View Post
                                According to the Sony Service Manual, 14 times blinking (TCON Error).
                                Hmmm......sounds like I got a bad TCON board from China???? Do you think its worth trying another board?

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

Check the DC voltage on both ends of the T=CON SMD fuse with ref to the chassis ground
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks Bud. Sorry for the rookie question, but can you tell me where to find that fuse? I don't see any fuses on the T-CON board or on the board with all the inputs and outputs that the TCON is connected to. I have no schematic, etc. :-(

Chuck

Comment

Post a good clear pictures of this replacement T-CON, the fuse should be located close to the LVDS connector (it has the wires that go back to the main board).
                                      Picture in post 1 is not quite clear, it looks like F100, 4A/72V. It also has F701, 4A/72V on the left side of the board. They have white body.
                                      Last edited by budm; 12-22-2013, 09:53 PM.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Sorry, I'm having trouble uploading the pictures. I'll keep trying....

Comment

Working...
                                        X