master hoarder

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: How To Stop CRT Flicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
I still have a Phillips 107P4 that can do 1920x1200, though lately I've been hearing something rattling inside it, although it's never been opened.
Is that one related or similar to the 107S? If so, I'd be surprised if it still works. From what I've seen on the net, the 107S was very problematic. Not sure how the 107P4 compares, though.

Also, going by the model number... that 107P4 is a 17" CRT. (??) Whatever the case, even if it's a 21", 1920x1200 is 16:10 widescreen and will look like total shit... not to mention you won't be able to get a good refresh rate. (Heck, I'd be surprised to see the monitor even display anything at that resolution and not throw an "out-of-sync" error.)

That said, I still don't understand why people go for the highest resolution on a CRT. You get much smoother and crisp picture on lower resolution (but not too low, obviously) and a high refresh rate. For a 17", 1280x960 is max you should ever push. I have not seen a cheap 17" look good on anything beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81 View Post
... as I'm probably going to be looking for a place of my own in the next few years, and would love to have a double PC table
Nice!

Yeah, man! Get a large enough place... or at least a place with a big enough "computer room" to put all your cool rigs on one desk to show them off. I actually did something kind of like that at my second place while in college. Instead of using the living room as a living room, I made myself a large desk from common building materials so that it could hold 3 CRTs and still have space in front of the monitors to use as a desk. It wasn't very pretty, but function-wise it rocked! I think I might have even posted a picture of it here somewhere a long time ago.

Last edited by momaka; 11-06-2020 at 05:33 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote