Single Capacitor Failure on M2N68-LA, may be a counterfeit Panasonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Capacitor Failure on M2N68-LA, may be a counterfeit Panasonic

I got an M2N68-LA 513426-001 in with 1 bad cap. The cap is original, not a recap. It starts but the CPU fan shuts down after a short time. No POST. Vcore has no waveform and measures 0v. Port 80 post card shows only 00. Replacing this one cap made the board work.

Normally Vcore can tolerate a cap or two loss but this one couldn't. Does anyone see the design flaw that causes this intolerance? Why did Vcore shut down?

Since it was a Panasonic that failed while the UCC KZG are still going strong I decided to photograph it next to the same series capacitor pulled from a Dell board. A Panasonic shouldn't have failed for any reason in this position. The sawtooth on the lines of the minus stripe are not photo artifacts. They are actually there. Is HP allowing suppliers to buy fakes?

GX280 Panasonic FL: Good shape, small print, smooth lines, date code 46IIUS
    M2N68 Panasonic FL: Bulged top and bottom, rough lines, large print, date code 96IEA
    Attached Files
    sig files are for morons

Re: Single Capacitor Failure on M2N68-LA, may be a counterfeit Panasonic

I see the sawtooth on both caps? I had a bad power supply explode and take out a single cap on the MB which caused the MB to stop working. Replacing the cap fixed the board.

Comment

I have several Dell boards with FL's here now and no sawtooth on the lines.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

That is definitely a shoddy print job there... but if fakes have gotten this good, then we should be worried.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Fakes...

I've replaced "Panasonic FLs" where the bung had the 'circle' pattern that Evercons, GSCs, Fuhkyoos all have/had. Not the 'base' that a real one has.

Those are so good, they're bad. I've got a whole bunch of various FCs and FMs, none have that 'aliased' printing. What the hell did they do? Take pix of real caps and manipulate them when printing the fakes' sleeves?

The bungs are different in each fake, so it's not like there's any consistency- either outside or inside.

One is too wide and not high enough, the other is a bit too small. "Hard shiny bumps" instead of a uniform smooth rubber appearance. Sleeves of differing 'shrink,' etc. Sacons and Asiacons pretending to be Panasonics- real cute.

-Paul
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Both fakes or just the HP? I ask because Panasonic failures are very rare on Dell so are likely to be The Real Thing (tm).
            sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
              Both fakes or just the HP? I ask because Panasonic failures are very rare on Dell so are likely to be The Real Thing (tm).
              Unless previously recapped by someone that gets caps from ebay.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Seems fake: wrong font, I think that Panasonic doesn't use Arial in its printing.

Comment

looks like its on vcore.likely shorted.would explain why one cap took it out of service.and i have several unused fj and fl fakes i got in a big lot of surplus.

Comment

They look genuine to me. As a general rule, if it came from a motherboard it's real. I'd say it was either overheated, killed by a bad PSU or was just a dud.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I am currently having the same symptoms. With no visible bad capacitor. Coul you please tell me exactly which one it was that you replaced?

Thanks in advance

Comment

when you have bad caps, replace ALL of them, bad or not. Knowing ASUS, you probably have KZG caps, which often fail without bloating.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Good idea and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                            when you have bad caps, replace ALL of them, bad or not. Knowing ASUS, you probably have KZG caps, which often fail without bloating.
                            Or OST, which do the same.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X