Xbox one controler does not turn on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox one controler does not turn on.

I have a Xbox one controller model 1537 that does not turn on at all when I press the home button or to sync. It was tested with a usb power cable and with batteries but with no luck. So I proceeded to disassemble the controller to find out it has gotten wet by some kind of sticky substance. As a usual, with a deep cleaning using isopropanol alcohol to get the sticky stuff off then reassemble with no luck. The next step is to check to make sure all the individual components are getting the required voltage but this is were I need some assistance.

All and any suggestions will be taken into account plus very appreciated.

Re: Xbox one controler does not turn on.

uploading foto's would help

Comment

here you go as requested via dropbox. Let me know if the link works cause its hard to tell on Windows 10 S

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iady6hpnm5bofu7/AACdBAJBGdpmi8eSqBOiFcvma?dl=0
      Last edited by Drassh; 05-18-2017, 01:57 PM. Reason: updated link

Comment

upload by [go advanced] + [manage attachments]

linking to temporary sites is bad because in future people reading this wont find them!

Comment

Ok, here goes. Top and bottom views of the boards.
          Attached Files

Comment

Start where the battery is and work towards the microcomputer or micro controller and see if get power to that point

This means hit the power button to try to power ON unit when you try to getting these readings

I would also look this hole board over with a magnifying glass at all of the soldiering joints to see if you crack or dull joints

Look at these places at the battery and switches very closely for cracks and dull joints
            I have this problem with remote controls for our crane at work

And we go from there
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-18-2017, 07:27 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

ok will do. ill post the findings tomorrow.

Comment

Just a side question due to having a bit of trouble mapping out the traces. Is there a program that i can draw on to map the traces manualy and if possible, to use a picture in the background to do so?

Comment

dont think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Drassh View Post
                    Just a side question due to having a bit of trouble mapping out the traces.
                    This where a volt meter comes in handy

Set your meter to ohms and where you think a trace end check it

or

if you can find where the trace ends just start probing around until you fine where you have connection

I have do a lot of times with double sided boards it dose take awhile to do

Now if it not a double side and you do not have large ground plans and you have a bright light on one side of the board and look through the other side of the board now some time you can do this with double sided boards ***** if the traces are not to close to each other and no ground planes

I have done this a few times doing repairs this way ***** some time it is not something that is very easy to do

I hope this helps
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-20-2017, 06:50 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

ok, so i was going to do what sam_sam_sam but i connected just the top pcb where the usb charging is located to the computer and saw that the lcd tries to turn on. I then proceed to go for the meter and with the pcb in hand i felt a burn from one of the components. Now, I have this usb device that mesures how much power a device is using in order to get charge. With this i check a normal working control to get .07 amps. Now the damaged controller is connected and shoots to .5 amps. 0.0 With it connected, a buddy feels around the board and notes that a few components around L3 are warm and U3 is "scorching" hot. with that in mind, we check various components around that area to find C22 and C23 in short but when we removed these components, they were fine but the short continued. We proceed to remove U3 as well but the short is still there.

----Still checking as I write this to let others know how its going so far.----

Comment

update 1: My buddy found a thread on a modding site that has a detailed layout of the control, rechargeable battery, and the headset adapter that can be used as some what of an incomplete schematic. Using this to troubleshoot further.

http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=43204.0

Comment

Originally posted by Drassh View Post
                          ok, so i was going to do what sam_sam_sam but i connected just the top pcb where the usb charging is located to the computer and saw that the lcd tries to turn on. I then proceed to go for the meter and with the pcb in hand i felt a burn from one of the components. Now, I have this usb device that mesures how much power a device is using in order to get charge. With this i check a normal working control to get .07 amps. Now the damaged controller is connected and shoots to .5 amps. 0.0 With it connected, a buddy feels around the board and notes that a few components around L3 are warm and U3 is "scorching" hot. with that in mind, we check various components around that area to find C22 and C23 in short but when we removed these components, they were fine but the short continued. We proceed to remove U3 as well but the short is still there.

----Still checking as I write this to let others know how its going so far.----
                          You need to find where the short problem is that will be important to know so you can repair it
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Found it! Turns out its a bad capacitor marked C33 that was causing the shortage. Now, this raises a doubt due to the fact of some missing information. What value does this capacitor have in order to replace it properly?

Comment

Where is the cap located at on the board power supply rail or some where else on the board
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

It is located on the power supply rail, bottomside of the board. Use the 3rd picture that was uploaded above as reference if you don't have a controller on hand. And thanks sam_sam_sam for bearing with me.

Comment

The value is not real important but use a 250pf something small like that and see if the unit works with a value like that
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Got it, and the controller is working now. ^.^ Thanks

Comment

What's the value of c6?

Comment

Working...
                                      X