X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
    My name is Darnley,I got this forum online because of my quest to get my elite book 6930p power problem solved.I actually when I was not allow to download a schematics diagram for my laptop mention above.I hope to continue on forum as I get problem solve.Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread "clean" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said "w00t.. they have a forum"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
      I am new here,my name is Darnley.i got to know about this forum in my quest to get my elitebook 6930p power problem solve.i got in here when I was denied access to download the schematic diagram for the laptop aforementioned.I hope to continue... Thanks

Comment

This is my problem,my elitebook 6930p won't power on,fan won't come up,no display.pls help...I will be grateful

Comment

Hi all, new member.

General geek, able to fix a lot of I.T. issues for people who know nothing (I have a LOT of patience). But, I know my limits. That's why i'm here.

I like that the OP was worried about how "this thread may get to 100 pages fast".

I'm posting on page 931, LOL.

Comment

Well, I already posted, but i can't ask a question.....

Comment

Hello im new to this place and i newer been in a forum before so sorry if im a noob ^^
              I repair phones/macbook on my freetime as a hobby, you wondering anything just ask!

Comment

Hey guys, finally found a cool forum with knowledgeable people

Comment

Hello, new here. First post! I have a TV with a bad power supply, looking for assistance in troubleshooting. Spark have already flown so :-|

Comment

Thank you for adding me. I am a noob, but I can change. I have come to the component level repair game late in life(When I was born the Dead Sea wasn't even sick). I have been building a lab for the better part of a year and learning as much as I can about PC, Laptop, TV, ect.. I have tinkered for years, but this has become a serious affliction in the last year. It seems one of the biggest tools I am missing is a reliable schematic database and each time I use the Google machine to find one or some obscure piece of information, I wind up on Badcaps.net.
                    I am currently learning hardware hacks via Bus Pirate and trying to figure out how to reset BIOS, TPM, among other things(the local check cashing business has a seemingly unlimited supply of machines they took on pawn, and of course they are locked in one way or another even though they have not been reported stolen). I have been able to make basic repairs(some not so basic) with micro soldering components, circuit repair, and basic install/upgrades to operating systems. When I make a sale, I buy more equipment. I spend a weekly budgeted amount on things that are broken and try to make them work again. This forces me to look up data sheets on board components and by proxy learn how the device works. I think I have the basic equipment and I try to learn more about it everyday. The spare room in our house has been turned into an electronics diagnostic and repair lab. It has been equipped with a full sized office desk, a custom built PC(MSI/AMD EBAY SLAP TOGETHER) with a 55in monitor(fixed EMERSON), and this desk is stuffed with every incidental I have needed to buy in order to progress, plus things I just thought I would need while I was semi-intoxicated. As I accumulated more, a work bench was constructed at the same height and depth as the desk, but 6ft long. I filled it the first day. It holds a Lenovo desktop(Had no operating system, $10), Hakko Iron, Quick 861DW, Amscope, Tektronics 2430A, Wavetek 270 freq. generator, GW Instek DMM, some random 150Mhz frequency counter, Sweepwave Ultrasonic Cleaner, a toaster oven(if you don't know, don't ask. You won't believe me), copious amounts of alcohol and assorted chemicals, solders, fluxes, solvents, component kits, dental tools(you see? Why I couldn't just develop a cheaper habit like cocaine is beyond me), and so much more it makes my head hurt.
                    I also work a 60+ hour per week job that has NOTHING to do with electronics, so some days are less productive than others. I have no idea what some of this stuff is capable of, but that is the fun part. Also, my life long friends have no interest in any of this and I have no one to talk to that knows more than me(I am a monkey with a soldering iron, I KNOW NOTHING) and I fear that places me in a bubble of stagnation. It is frustrating to say the least.
                    I also would like to get to the point where I can contribute by reverse engineering boards. I looked into Boardview awhile back, but it seems to be geared toward MAC(I have zero interest in MAC) and I never really got further than realizing it wasn't working at the time. Maybe I should revisit it? Maybe there is something better? This is why I am here. To gain knowledge from a community that lives in the circuit world. So, thank you for your support in advance and I apologize in advance for the stupid questions I am bound to ask. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi My name is Danny. AKA krazyspank. I am new to these types of forums and hope I am posting this in the right spot.

I recently broke my leg in 2 places and needed surgery, I have been going crazy just sitting around doing nothing while my leg is healing. My TV blew up, smoke coming out! and with not working money is scarce, my son had a tv that was knocked out in a power surge. I got it out and watched a few you tube videos, sent the board out and it was fixed.
                      So now I found a few free tv's friends have given me to see if I could fix.
                      Something to do until I can get back to work.
                      So any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Comment

Good evening companeros. I found this forum via a google search for Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board, and am glad to be here!

Comment

HI, I’m kind of new to the whole electronics repair, but I came after a search to repair me tv led me here. I am an electrician by trade, and have a basic understanding of electronics.

Comment

Hello all:
                            looks like a very informative site.
                            Thanks for all the posts and expert information.

Comment

Hello!

I'm a hobbyist in technical world,and I would like to learn more in this forum.

Comment

My first post, came here by the recommendation of shop jimmy for tech support regarding a tv with no backlight

Comment

rgr this rq, hello, over'n'out.

Comment

Let me introduce my self
                                    I am Ed and I am 57 years old with a lot of experience in Panasonic equipment.
                                    An I like the badcaps.net too share information.

Comment

Old Dog but New Tricks

Hi All,

recently retired and looking to relearn old skills. I have worked on electronics from way back but as you progress through your career you lose connection with hands on skills. Started in 1970 working, relay systems, electronics and computer 1975, moving onto computer science and automation by 1985. Now with micro electronics in mobile devices I see a new challenge that I will enjoy in repairing devices as a hobby and also other consumer electronics goods.

Comment

Hello everyone!
                                        I've been working on computer repair and cellphone repair for over 8 years, and started doing micro soldering about 3 years ago. But still learning, and that's why I am here.

Comment

hello folks, john here, looking for info on a hp monitors pile'o caps... Seems to be a pretty good forum, lots of info... experience wise I may describe meself as a semi-noobie (snubie) just fixin stuff that folks happen to bring around. My dayjob was a foam flipflop patcher (no leather please) retred of course.. Longing to bring happiness to those lives I may trip over :-)

Comment

Working...
                                          X