Finding a replacement cap for my snap in capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a replacement cap for my snap in capacitor

I acquired an old 22 yr Woodway treadmill 2 months ago that was not working (no power when plugged in). I started troubleshooting the boards (drive and interface) and have replaced/fixed a few issues so far (bad main AC fuse holder and interface board soldered fuse). The treadmill now turns on and I'm getting a run light on the drive board but still no interface display controls. None of the lights on the interface board were lighting up either but I was getting AC voltage through the Interface transformer. Next I decided to remove a (soldered)snap in capacitor to get a LCR measurement. I did get a reading on the cap but because of the cheap LCR I wasn't very confident in it since it was greater than -10% accuracy. I put the cap back in place and re-soldered. I still didn't get any lights on the interface user display but I pressed and held the "ON" button located on the user display. The interface board LED lights were now coming on intermittently. So I am thinking that the Interface capacitor needs to be replaced.

It is a 6800uf 16V snap in and the size is 20-22mm diameter by 30mm height. The legs are spaced about 10mm apart. The top of the cap in pic says 5419(M) +85C. I looked through the caps library on this forum and think maybe it's a Panasonic. I attached an image also. I'm having difficulty finding a replacement for this guy and could use some help. Thanks, Chris
    Attached Files

Re: Finding a replacement cap for my snap in capacitor

The cap is likely fine, and not the problem. but if you want to replace it, try Digikey, here is a Rubycon that would work: 1189-3866-ND
    There are other snap-in type of that size https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...=1&pageSize=25
    It does'nt need to be a snap-in and you could just use a radial type with the same capacity/voltage and size to fit
    Last edited by R_J; 08-13-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

You may be right- I'm certainly not confident that this needs replacing. It just threw me because I pressed that "ON" button before removing the cap and nothing happened (no LED lights on the board). Thanks for the info

Comment

Matsushita/Panasonic TSU series. The "(M)" simply means it's a +/-20% capacitor, common for electrolytics. Based on the date code of the Analog Devices IC at the center right of your picture I'm going to guess that was built in late 1995 or early 1996.

Based on that 50/60 Hz transformer, I'm going to guess it's a linear regulated power supply, if it's regulated. I'd check the input fuse, and if it's not blown start tracing the voltage from there to wherever it disappears. Remember to use the AC setting on your DMM when you're in the primary circuit or looking at the input to the bridge rectifier.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Labradorpunk View Post
          I acquired an old 22 yr Woodway treadmill
          Could you please post a picture of the hole board so we all the components

Thanks
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
          X