Questions about FETs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about FETs

If I replace a bad one with one from another board that has the same ratings as the bad one is supposed to have but I the amperage wasn't high enough, will I damage more than the fet I just replaced?
    The stated ratings (in the LG training manual) for the fets are almost all a little higher (about a tenth of a volt) than mine checked out at. Why is this and and does it mean I need to replace them

Re: Questions about FETs

I think if what your saying is when you following the tests in cct in the training manual and they don't match exactly but are close then they're probably ok and the results are indicative. Probably depends on how accurate your meter is too.

Maybe list the results in question and hopefully somne can make sense of it, but generally if a FET has failed I usually find they fail shorted.

Not quite following this
    "one from another board that has the same ratings as the bad one is supposed to have but I the amperage wasn't high enough"

Are we talking replacing the transistor like for like i.e. the same part number?

Comment

Sorry I am a crap typer and have mild dyslexia. What I am trying to ask is I swapped out a shorted fet with one from another board. It matched what was listed in schem, but is a different brand/type (it came off of a Visio psu) I'm just hoping it wont blow anything, but at this point I'm willing to risk it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

If it's the same board but they've used a different part, maybe? Why don't you list the part numbers and we may find some datasheets to verify the specs??

I know with some Panasonic boards they use the same PCB in various models but the parts are not always the same spec in the same locations.

I hate typing too, single finger touch for me. easy to interpret wording a number of ways

Comment

That attitude is what gets me in trouble sometimes, but luckily nothing happened. It was a transistor off of a Vizio power supply and I put it on the ysus of the LG I've been trying to get working.
          Here is one with numbers: The chip/fet is 30f124 and I'm get drastically different readings. I know is 1 of the five is bad for sure because I get OL in the spot I get a reading on the other 4. But one pair gives me a reading almost double what the other do. And the two giving me the high reading don't don't have a pin that touches ground
          Last edited by pk7tanner; 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

On a ysus board out of a 50pq30 the fet's at the same spot on the same board (the boards are interchangeable) are 45f122. Does that mean that the 30f124 on my board should have the same output as what's listed for the 45f122?

Comment

Voltage they're close but current rating no.

maybe post some clears shots so we can see what exactly we're talking about. 2 pin sounds like a diode unless it's a surface mounted FET?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tw2005; 05-18-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                Voltage they're close but current rating no.

maybe post some clears shots so we can see what exactly we're talking about. 2 pin sounds like a diode unless it's a surface mounted FET?
                Man you guys are awesome! Now if only I can figure out what that all says. Here's the pics. It's in a difficult spot to take a picture and that's why I hadn't included one before
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks all original, Ok so I understand a little clearer. The PQ30 has the 45Amp and your original has the 30amp?

Same voltage, maybe a production upgrade to improve reliabilty. I don't see any 2 pin but 3 pin RF2001T3D which is a double diode. RF2001 means 20amp the suffix is important too 3 means 300V, D means double diode.

So T4S means single 400V,T4D 400v double etc, T2 200v etc
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tw2005; 05-19-2013, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Here's what I believe to be the same PDF, but in English
                    http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/dow...10_catalog.pdf
                    But I'm having problems deciphering what the correct outputs should be. Do they increase when they have a common contact point?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I don't understand, usually they have them working in parallel, if there's nothing shorted I'd move on or remove from the board and test them individually.

Comment

OK I didn't know if it mattered that on one pair I get a reading of .043 and at the same contact points on the 3 I have pictured I get a reading of .896. They're all 30f124 fet's but the two with the low readings are the one's I'm most uncertain about because of https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=lg+plasma
                        And then confusing me even more is that I have the same fet's on a zsus that read .434.
                        So as long as they don't read OL, I'm fine?

Comment

Originally posted by pk7tanner View Post
                          OK I didn't know if it mattered that on one pair I get a reading of .043 and at the same contact points on the 3 I have pictured I get a reading of .896. They're all 30f124 fet's but the two with the low readings are the one's I'm most uncertain about because of https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=lg+plasma
                          And then confusing me even more is that I have the same fet's on a zsus that read .434.
                          So as long as they don't read OL, I'm fine?
                          OL= open circuit, 0.043 looks like a short

Comment

I'm having a heck of a time finding a place that will sell these fet's inn\ a small quantity. Any suggestions?

Comment

Ebay, UTSOURCE although anything from china takes weeks to arrive. Always a chance of fakes especially the 2 pin 30F124 items i saw ?

FGPF4633 I was looking at this for 30F125 sub

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/F...L4w9lb0h0yc%3d

http://www.digikey.com.au/product-de...3TU-ND/2269819

I purchased a TNPA5082 SS board from a panasonic purely for the components, $11 + postage on ebay and yielded 4 x 30F125, 2x 45F128, 2 x RF2001T3D .
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by tw2005; 05-21-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

If I'm reading the "part numbering scheme" section correctly, I should be able to sub the 45f122, 45f127, 45f128 or 30f125 for the 30f124, correct?
                                Is it that these were weak or why does it seem that out of three boards (2 zsus & 1 ysus) it appear that 2 of 10+/- are ok?
                                How did you know that the board you were getting already had those and I thought they were only supposed to cost <$1.25? I should've specified this point in my previous post. I found them on ebay and in China. They seemed overly expensive on ebay, and the places I found in China, I was skeptical of. I guess that the conundrum
                                Mine are all 3 pin
                                Last edited by pk7tanner; 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

They should be 3 pin, that's my point. I own a panasonic which has those boards and I've spent a lot of time trying to rebuild the SC boards with some success.

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the how important Vce sat is? Otherwise as far as ratings goes they'd all do.

IGBTs can be pricey, but that Fairchild is not a bad price and should work.
                                  Last edited by tw2005; 05-22-2013, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I thought I was slick and tried to get fairchild to send me some free samples, but I didn't have verifiable business email and so no luck. Their stuff is hard to figure out. Is there a way to cross reference?

Comment

I check voltage, current, peak pulsed current rating , case construction, pinout configuration and Vce sat which I'm thinking you would want equal to or less than what was in there but I can't quote from experience.

If it was me chasing those specs and I could not get exact replacement I'd give those fairchild ones a go. Does not mean I'm right but you should be ok.

Hopefully some other opinions may come along.

Comment

Well we had company stay over and I had been using the living room as my work space. That meant everything has been put up, but now that they've left, I'm free to resume my crash course in electronics.
                                        Your previous two posts used acronyms and other terms I'm unfamiliar with, and therefor, don't know how one would test them.
                                        • SC Board
                                        • Vce sat
                                        • peak pulsed current rating
                                        • case construction (it varies?)

I'm also still confused about the reason why all of the N-channel fet's that I have removed, test OL on all the pin combos. But attached to a board, most measure correctly? It'd be one thing if they all came from one tv, but I'm taking parts from two other tvs and from an extra zsus board. Plus in the LG guide it lists the fet's by the num/letters printed on the front, but some also have a subset that I don't understand? For example fet RF2001 has D301-306, D311 & D312. What do the D___ mean?
                                        Last edited by pk7tanner; 06-01-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X