Help with car battery charger HT7715

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with car battery charger HT7715

Hi guys, I have this battery charger that stopped working meanwhile was charging the car battery, now the display didn't work and plugging the charger I only listen a low click noise, like a relay and nothing else.

It's branded as Carrefour, but could be found also as Dunlop charger, 909, Coitech, and posibly many others. I can't find a service manual or schematic to check the board, on the board there is only a text with HRS7715 and a date.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Help with car battery charger HT7715

i dont see any vents?
    probably the small caps are dried out.

Comment

Nothing seems damaged, the charger has been barely used.

Comment

A low clicking noise might suggest the power supply is trying to start, but the startup capacitor is bad or dried out as stj suggested.

A dried out cap won't show any obvious signs of damage.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

sorry for my ignorance, but witch one is the startup capacitor? black big one? square yellow ones at the AC side? Thanks!

Comment

C24 in the hot side.
            You should also check the small lytics caps in the cold side also.
            Did you already check all the diode, rectifiers?
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Also, there may be some cracked or cold solder joints here? See pic.
              Attached Files
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On the back of the PCB, one of those larger ICs should be the SMPS chip.

If you look at its part number and find the datasheet, it will tell you what the typical VCC startup voltage should be.

Then check C24, the startup cap to see if it is present.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

BTW, the PCB was made 2010 03 02 so it's 10 years old.

If the startup cap was cheap quality to begin with, I can see it failing/dried out even without much usage.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I would check the voltage on these two capacitors, and see if it is stable, that could provide some information as to how the primary is operating.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      Also, there may be some cracked or cold solder joints here? See pic.
                      That one was me after unsoldering the mosfet to check , seemed ok for me. The board is covered with a poor? varnish coat, I don't know how to remove it without damaging nothing, makes readings with the meter be tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                        I would check the voltage on these two capacitors, and see if it is stable, that could provide some information as to how the primary is operating.
                        0V on the top and 0,001V on the botton one

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                          C24 in the hot side.
                          You should also check the small lytics caps in the cold side also.
                          Did you already check all the diode, rectifiers?
                          Unsolded the C24 and reads 43uF on my tester, is a 47uf35v one, not a enought bad reading to prevent starting, not?

Comment

Tracing the click noise, seems to be from the bridge big chip, but I don't know how to check it or about the expected readings on each pin. It's a RS606.
                            Last edited by ex250; 02-15-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

If you are getting 0 volts on the large cap I asked about, then the primary is not operating, The bridge rectifier is easy to check in diode mode, it is just 4 seperate diodes in one case. I suspect it is ok, if it was shorted the main fuse would have blown.
                              As for C24, replace it, I have seen the capacity check ok but they can be bad. The ticking you here is the power supply trying to start but shuts down, this can be caused by a bad C24 startup capacitor, it needs to charge up to sustain the VCC voltage for the pwm ic.
                              You could also have a short in the secondary, so check the dual diode (below the large cap I had circled)
                              Last edited by R_J; 02-15-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ex250 View Post
                                Unsolded the C24 and reads 43uF on my tester, is a 47uf35v one, not a enought bad reading to prevent starting, not?
                                While it may be okay with respect to uF, it may not meet it's ESR specifications.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tec...of-capacitors/
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                  If you are getting 0 volts on the large cap I asked about, then the primary is not operating, The bridge rectifier is easy to check in diode mode, it is just 4 seperate diodes in one case. I suspect it is ok, if it was shorted the main fuse would have blown.
                                  As for C24, replace it, I have seen the capacity check ok but they can be bad. The ticking you here is the power supply trying to start but shuts down, this can be caused by a bad C24 startup capacitor, it needs to charge up to sustain the VCC voltage for the pwm ic.
                                  You could also have a short in the secondary, so check the dual diode (below the large cap I had circled)
                                  both big diodes seem to be ok on test, 0,6xx readings and nothing on reverse. Will try with one new cap to see what happens.

The tick is only one time when plugged, not repeated until I disconect and conect again on the AC plug.

Comment

Originally posted by ex250 View Post
                                    both big diodes seem to be ok on test, 0,6xx readings and nothing on reverse. Will try with one new cap to see what happens.

The tick is only one time when plugged, not repeated until I disconect and conect again on the AC plug.
                                    Well, the click may be from the black relay you have on that board, which means there is power from some where to power the relay.
                                    Last edited by budm; 02-15-2020, 02:33 PM.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                      Well, the click may be from the black relay you have on that board, which means there is power from some where to power the relay.
                                      Not seems from there, but I can see if there is any values at the relay pins.

Comment

Nothing relevant on the relay, residual values of 0,002v, the brigge reads 140v in one pair and 132 on the other (230v AC at plug)

Comment

Working...
                                        X