Caps question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caps question

Hi can you use capacitor that are smaller than original,but same values ?

Re: Caps question

Yes.

Comment

100% the original ones have 'v9a pet,but the replacements do not have,is that manufacture mark ?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I've seen those caps on a Vizio TV, though they were blue there. They are made by a company called "Samwha". PET stands for Polyethylene terephthalate. Anyway I replaced them for Panasonic FM series caps I had left over from from another recap, they worked fine in my case.

Comment

PET refers to the sleeve material on the capacitor .. some are made out of PET, others are made using other materials.
            V9A is just some internal product code like batch number, manufacturing week etc

You should use capacitors which have the same ESR (in datasheets, you can look at impedance at 100kHz @ some positive temperature ) or slightly lower (compared to original capacitor) and current ripple value equal or slightly higher.

You can replace a capacitor with one that has same capacitance but higher voltage rating (ex replace 25v rated capacitor with 35v rated capacitor)

In the same series, capacitors that have a bigger volume (diameter x height > older capacitor's diameterxheight) will typically have slightly lower ESR and higher current ripple values...

The series is important.. for example, if the circuit requires very low ESR capacitors, you couldn't replace a Panasonic FM or FR capacitor with a Panasonic FC series capacitor. The ESR of a Panasonic FC series capacitor would be much higher compared to the other series - the circuit may work after repair but the new capacitor may be "abused" and go bad prematurely, or the circuit may be unstable (turn off and on when it reaches some temperature or reboot itself when chips exceed a certain power consumption, or cause other problems).

Comment

There is always some tolerance so going from low-ESR to standard is bad, sure, but going from one low-ESR series to another with slightly different specs makes little to no difference.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
              X