X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 updates for upgrading to Win10

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Linux to me in the past was nothing more than a command prompt....but using it as a desktop OS, its like learning to walk all over again for some of the simplest tasks & settings.
    LOL @ the command prompt part... But even back in the Bush era, a GUI was a standard thing in Linux!

I hated that part where it feels like learning to walk again! But, I was able to get a usable Gentoo in summer of 2010!

KDE after 3x is bloated! Compiling KDE made me feel like I was on a 486 SX at 25 Mhz, if not a 386! (You know the chips where even Duke Nukem 3D in 320x240 is slow! LOL!)
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-25-2016, 10:58 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Re: The 2017 Operating System Thread

I'll just put this here:
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-processor-tha

More details:
      http://www.techspot.com/news/68553-m...ates-kaby.html
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: The 2017 Operating System Thread

You may find this video of interest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5mFI9spp10

Comment

People still trust & use windows update?
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            People still trust & use windows update?
            I certainly don't. Just install and then turn off Windows Updates.

Have not had a problem or a even virus with my current Windows 7 installation since 2013.

Now only if Windows 10 had this ability to make Windows Update stay dead when I tell it to, I would be upgrading to it.
            CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
            GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by grss1982 View Post
              Now only if Windows 10 had this ability to make Windows Update stay dead when I tell it to, I would be upgrading to it.
              There's more (negatives) to Windows 10 than just the Automatic Updates. For one, it sends who knows what kind of personal data back to MS. With Windows 10, your PC is basically NOT yours at all.

That aside, at least the Automatic Updates in Windows 10 are not as irritating (dare I say even somewhat unnoticeable), unlike in previous versions of Windows. So for Windows 10, I don't mind the updates that much - at least on the PCs we have at work. If I got a PC with Win 10 on it, I probably wouldn't use it for anything more than an internet browser. All of my important documents and files are to remain on my Win XP PCs.

Comment

I'd like to install a security update to protect against the WannaCry exploit released by the NSA.

Microsoft has released stand-alone patches for most operating systems. These patches are very small file sizes. Yet, apparently, the only way to update Win7 is with a larger Security Rollup which includes god knows what else.

Why no stand-alone patch for Win 7? Here is a list of current OS patches:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....aspx?q=4012598

Comment

^
                  M$ wants to kill off W7, like they had a hell of a time doing with XP.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Maybe home users on a protected wireless network aren't vulnerable. I'm not sharing files on a network. I don't really know what the Server Message Block (SMB) vulnerability means but perhaps my home network is ok, using only good antivirus software?

Comment

i suspect this will go under any security software.

Comment

Originally posted by theDoctor View Post
                        Maybe home users on a protected wireless network aren't vulnerable. I'm not sharing files on a network. I don't really know what the Server Message Block (SMB) vulnerability means but perhaps my home network is ok, using only good antivirus software?
                        You're screwed as soon as some twit gets on your network/wifi and clicks the link. SMB is what domains and workgroups (and mapped drives for that matter) run on... it's highly integrated into the core of the OS AFAIK. Without the patch or completely isolating (unplugged cables, disabled wifi) your computers from any and all networks the vulnerability exists. Even if AV catches it, it's too late, some/all of the damage will have already been done.

My understanding was that MS had no idea as the NSA found it and sat on it rather than quietly let MS know that they had a problem. Had the NSA not been hacked several months ago MS probably still wouldn't have known that pre-windows 10 SMB had an issue.

I don't think MS did this intentionally... I think that the NSA stumbled upon a backdoor before they had a chance to "ask" for one to be added. I couldn't see them adding this big of a hole and not doing anything about it for 4+ major (not counting windows server) operating systems. As for 10 not having the issue, my understanding was that for windows 10 SMB was redone and as a result the issue didn't exist in the new version of the SMB stack to begin with.

Just my $0.02
                        Last edited by ratdude747; 05-16-2017, 08:12 PM.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm sure you're right. Assuming that you and others are running
                          win7 with a limited number of security updates installed (the purpose of this thread), do you intend to install the security rollup put out by microsoft to protect against WannaCry? If not, what is your plan moving forward? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

Compiling KDE made me feel like I was on a 486 SX at 25 Mhz, if not a 386! (You know the chips where even Duke Nukem 3D in 320x240 is slow! LOL!)
                            And that reminds me of my 386 SX, IIRC, where NES emulation with Nesticle, was slllooowww!

And regarding Windows, WSUSOffline wins again!

There's an issue, which may still exist, where wsusscn2.cab is corrupted and the workaround is to change the DNS server!

When the cab is corrupted, it usually can't be more obvious, because if you double click on the cab, the cab file viewer will scream "Cannot open the cabinet file" or similar.

7-zip also will scream as well...

But, for me, wsusscn2.cab hasn't been corrupted for likely 5 or 4 months now...
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-16-2017, 09:13 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Assuming that you and others are running win7 with a limited number of security updates installed (the purpose of this thread), do you intend to install the security rollup put out by microsoft to protect against WannaCry? If not, what is your plan moving forward? Thanks
                              This is what I did to protect my Win7 system from the WannaCry exploit. Please comment on whether you think this is effective.

Setup: WannaCry exploits outdated SMBv1 protocols. So, disable SMBv1. Do not disable SMBv2 or SMBv3.

I followed the instructions under 'How to enable or disable SMB protocols on the SMB client' (will post the link at the bottom). *My laptop isn't a server, so it must be the client, right?

It's a very simple copy/paste of two lines, into an elevated command prompt. To get an elevated command prompt, right-click the command prompt and choose Run as administrator.

Paste, or type, the commands one at a time and hit Enter each time. Here they are:
                              To disable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
                              sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
                              sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

See the attachment for a screenshot showing the command prompt after entering both commands.

Here's a link to the instructions per Microsoft.
                              https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ws-server-2012

Feedback?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by theDoctor; 05-16-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

My NAS is running S2K8R1, patched up...and that's the only system that has real data contained on it. S2K8R2 is basically Win7....and the patch doesn't work on it....imagine that, since R2 was included in that nonsensical 'rollup'

I did find this:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....px?q=KB4012212

Security only patches for S2K8R2 and Win7 without all the telemetry shit of the full rollup.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by theDoctor View Post
                                  I followed the instructions under 'How to enable or disable SMB protocols on the SMB client' (will post the link at the bottom). *My laptop isn't a server, so it must be the client, right?
                                  <snip>
                                  Feedback?
                                  Actually if you connect from another system, say using WannaCry to your laptop then it is performing the duty of a SMB server.
                                  At least that is how I interpret it...
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I did find this:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....px?q=KB4012212

Security only patches for S2K8R2 and Win7 without all the telemetry shit of the full rollup.
                                    This is great. I read some stuff about Microsoft putting non-security items in "Security" updates. Are you pretty sure about this being legit?

Thanks for the link!

Comment

^^Yes it's much better, still they do sneak some stuff in.
                                      Like this blasphemy:
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...914#post733914

Comment

Stay away from Windows10. I had numerous complains describing slowdowns.
                                        When I access the machine, I see "Software protection = 50% CPU, 100% disk usage"
                                        This is not acceptable. Perfect dual core machines with 4gigs of ram unusable.
                                        Opening internet browser requires 5 minutes. And forcing updates.
                                        I want to reboot the machine, then wait 15 minutes for updates to end.
                                        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                                        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                                          Perfect dual core machines with 4gigs of ram unusable.
                                          Opening internet browser requires 5 minutes. And forcing updates.
                                          I had the same experience with Windows 7 and the same amount of RAM.

I still don't like that Windows 10 will reset some settings (but not all) back to defaults at random.

Comment

Working...
                                          X