No announcement yet.

Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD2485W - capacitor related?

Originally posted by larrybrownsr View Post
    Yeeeehaaa!!! I took a tiny flat blade screwdriver and double magnifying glasses and carefully pealed back about 1/8" of the plastic cover on the FFC and trimed off the area where the trace was broken. I plugged it in and low and behold: my monitor works. So, it was the caps. I can't thank you guys enough for our advice and encouragement. I was so ready to just pack it up and send it off to a repair shop (for about $140). But you talked me into doing it myself and you are right. I feel great now! Thanks again. I owe you, big time.
    Someone was burning the midnight oil. Congratulations, that's what makes this community a great one!

Comment

Hi, I'm new as well. I have the same Gateway Monitor it stopped working.

All else seems to work, I just have no picture. No Gateway splash screen, other inputs don't work (PS2 console) either.

I was watching it about 2 weeks ago (I use it as my TV for my Media Center PC) and it just went black all of a sudden.

I went searching on Google and found this forum. I haven't cracked it open yet but I will be this weekend. I guess I could try replacing caps, is that usually the problem with these things?

Thanks

Comment

Need more info.. when you power up, you get no Gateway logo but is the power LED still lit? Does it stay lit as long as an input signal is present or does it go into sleep mode? If you use a flashlight in a dark room, can you see the picture?

Doesn't sound like a cap problem to me, it's probably inverter related. Still, it's a good idea to double check the state of the caps. Pics of the top/bottom of each of the boards (power/inverter and main logic) would be helpful to troubleshoot. When you take the monitor apart, remember to start on the side opposite the touch controls. There is a FFC (flat flex cable) on that side that you need to be careful with!

Comment

Originally posted by Wrog View Post
          Need more info.. when you power up, you get no Gateway logo but is the power LED still lit? Does it stay lit as long as an input signal is present or does it go into sleep mode? If you use a flashlight in a dark room, can you see the picture?

Doesn't sound like a cap problem to me, it's probably inverter related. Still, it's a good idea to double check the state of the caps. Pics of the top/bottom of each of the boards (power/inverter and main logic) would be helpful to troubleshoot. When you take the monitor apart, remember to start on the side opposite the touch controls. There is a FFC (flat flex cable) on that side that you need to be careful with!
          Thanks, I am going to watch USC/Cal first before taking it apart.

The Touch Controls still work. My room is dark, there is no Splash Screen. I switched inputs from the Media Center (VGA) to my PS2 console (Component 1) and still no picture. I connected my laptop to both VGA and DV-I, still nothing. The laptop "saw" the panel but there was no picture.

When you turn it on, I get the tones and the lights remain blue. But it will then time out and go orange.

When the game is over I'll pull it apart and take some pictures.

Comment

Not much of a game... hope you are a USC fan. Sounds like the inverter fuse blew, which is easy enough to test (check continuity... open = blown). Finding out why it blew may not be.

Comment

Hello everyone, another new member here. I just inherited a Gateway LP2407 (also refered to as FPD2485W). I don't know the history of the monitor, but it has the same symptoms as posted here. When I plug it in, it makes the musical sound, and the blue power light comes on and the lights above it flash on, but then after a while the light turns orange. There is absolutely no picture being displayed. I already took the monitor apart and found quite a few caps that were bulged on the top - on all 3 boards, so I replaced all the caps but the biggie on the power supply board -the 150uF 450V one (it wasn't bulged and appears to be hard to find). So after putting it back together, I still get no display. I'm sure a lot of the capacitors were bad, so they should have been replaced, but now I'm wondering if there is a bad fuse. I checked the fuse on the power supply board (F850) and it checks out ok. I looked at the inverter board, and I'm guessing that F1 may be a fuse. If it is, It doesn't appear to be ok. If I touch DVM to ground and the other lead to one side, it buzzes, but if I put it to the other side of F1, nothing. I replaced both caps on this board because they were swollen. Assuming F1 is a fuse, and it is bad, could the swollen caps have caused the fuse to blow? If not, any advise what else to check? If it is a fuse, does anyone know where to get it and/or part#? Thanks in advance for any help. Russell

Comment

Originally posted by king_raptor View Post
                If I touch DVM to ground and the other lead to one side, it buzzes, but if I put it to the other side of F1, nothing. I replaced both caps on this board because they were swollen. Assuming F1 is a fuse, and it is bad, could the swollen caps have caused the fuse to blow? If not, any advise what else to check? If it is a fuse, does anyone know where to get it and/or part#?
                The way I measure a fuse is to put the multimeter (if manual) on the lowest ohms setting. Then I put red on one side and black on the other. A good fuse should measure less than 0.9 ohms depending on your multimeter.

A clear focused picture of your fuse would help. Manufacturers can change board revisions and may not use the same components even though the model number on the front of the LCD are the same.

If you are in the USA, I'm sure Digikey has a replacement fuse.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello, and thanks for the quick reply. I did test the fuse in the manner that you described, but it didn't seem like I was getting a good connection, so I also tried it the way I mentioned. I attached 2 pictures for you to view. I wanted to confirm that this is indeed a fuse (I assume the F in F1 means fuse 1). I am tempted to try to jump across the fuse with a real thin wire strand or something just to confirm that it does something. If it works, I would be more willing to order a fuse from digikey if they have it. That is where I ordered my caps from. I'm sure shipping would exceed the cost of the fuse. There is nothing protruding from the backside of the circuit board, so I guess this would have to be desoldered and resoldered from the front.
                  Thanks,

Russell
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes that's a fuse, I highly recommend you purchase a replacement fuse.
                    Do not jump the fuse with a wire, if there is an issue and the wire does not fail, you'll destroy your inverter and/or start a fire.

Comment

If it works, I would be more willing to order a fuse from digikey if they have it.
                      What ohms reading are you getting when measuring F1?

If it says 2 on the fuse F1, then I believe it is a 2A fuse. I'm not sure what voltage rating is though. It could be 2A 125V or 2A 250V. Maybe someone else with more experience can verify?
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

All it shows is IE 5A, so I assume it's a 5 amp fuse. When I say I'm tempted to jump a wire strand across, I mean literally a single, very thin wire that you would get from a strand. I would never put a complete wire strand across, that would defeat the purpose of a fuse. I think this part # from Mouser is the same...576-0453005.MR.

Comment

On my Radio Shack DVM, it shows a 1 which is open. When I first tested, it seemed like it was showing something, but then went to 1. I'm pretty certain the fuse is bad. I just hope that's all it is.

Comment

On my Radio Shack DVM, it shows a 1 which is open.
                            "1" is definitely open. I would probably order 2 fuses just in case.

I believe digikey.com has lower shipping costs than mouser. For first class shipping, I believe Digikey is in the $2.75 USA range.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

All it shows is IE 5A,
                              Thanks for clarifying, I couldn't make it out in the picture.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I found a 4 amp fuse (the round glass type that are often used for car radios, etc) that had a wire on each side. I soldered each end to each end of the fuse on the inverter circuit. After doing this, I plugged it in and first thing I noticed is that it didn't make the muscial sound that it did before. The display is still blank however. One problem I have is I don't know how this monitor behaves when it does work. Is there someone who is familiar with this monitor? Does it normally turn itself on, or at least play the music when it is first plugged in, or do you have to push the power button? I hooked up the thin 5 strand wire and it doesn't power on when I push it. I'm not sure what to do or check next. Hopefully someone here can give me a few pointers to try. I can check for some voltages, etc. if someone can tell me where to. If you need pics, I can upload some, but there already are pictures at the beginning of this thread from others.
                                Thanks,
                                Russell

Comment

If it is now playing dead, take that fuse out. Sounds like it's detecting a short.

Comment

Thanks, I took the fuse out and now the music plays again. Any idea what on the inverter board could be shorted? I attached 2 pictures to show the inverter board and the fuse that I soldered in. Thanks, Russell
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Any number of things, I can't make out what's what.
                                      Can you take higher resolution photos?

Comment

I took 2 pictures. The first one is the right hand side, and the second is the left hand side. You can see the capacitor in both, so everything should be there. Thanks again for your help. Russell
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Q1 & Q3 look like they've gotten hot.

What are the numbers?
                                          9905GM
                                          ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X